Senatus Consultum XIII de Reformatione Collegiorum

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Senatus Consultum XIII de Reformatione Collegiorum

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:32 am

Salvete sodales,

I hereby present to you the results of the Senate vote on this decretum:

SENATUS CONSULTUM XIII DE REFORMATIONE COLLEGIORUM

Preamble: This Senatus Consultum is aimed at facilitating cultural activities in the Societas Via Romana through the rearrangement of its collegia as they exist in November 2757.

I. The Senatus hereby derecognises collegium historicum and collegium militarium, in order to form the collegium historiae antiquae, covering all topics previously covered by these two collegia. Its field of study shall include, but is not necessarily limited to: the military, politics, diplomacy and interpretation of the history of the Roman civilisation and related culture from that era. As long as no elections are held for this collegium, the two rectores of the aforementioned derecognised collegia shall jointly occupy the office of rector.

II. The Senatus hereby derecognises collegium artium and collegium philosophicum, in order to form the collegium artium, philosophiae et scientiae. Its field of study shall include, but is not necessarily limited to: science, architecture, literature, poetry, sculpture, painting, philosophy, lifestyle and entertainment of Antiquity. As long as no elections are held for this collegium, the two rectores of the aforementioned derecognised collegia shall jointly occupy the office of rector.

III. The Senatus hereby derecognises collegium Graecum and collegium Latinum, in order to form the collegium linguarum antiquarum. Its field of study shall include, but is not necessarily limited to: the linguistics, grammar, phonology, teaching, writing, speaking and interpretation of Latin, ancient Greek and other languages of related cultures. Other responsibilities which were previously carried by the former collegia, shall be dispersed among the other collegia where applicable. As long as no elections are held for this collegium, the two rectores of the aforementioned derecognised collegia shall jointly occupy the office of rector.

IV. The Senatus hereby renames collegium religionis into collegium religionum.

V. The Senatus hereby derecognises collegium vitae quotidianae. Its former rector shall remain a member of the Senatus until next elections for the collegia.

Note: this rearranging will only take final effect in November 2758 AUC or 2005 CE, by means of a simple majority vote in the Senate and the Comitia. Until that time however, the provisions set in this Senatus Consultum are to be carried out.

---
---

Out of 11, 9 Senatores cast a valid vote: Gnaeus Dionysius Draco (GDD), Quintus Servilius Fidenas (QSF), Aulus Dionysius Mencius (ADM), Quintus Aurelius Orcus (QAO), Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus (MSCA), Tiberius Dionysius Draco (TDD), Tiberius Coruncanius (TC), Quintus Claudius Locatus (QCL) and Publius Dionysius Mus (PDM).

Following Senatores failed to vote: Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus, Titus Marius Crispus.

---
---

GDD: Uti rogas. Although this will be one of our most radical and visible changes yet, I sincerely believe that it will reduce the intellectual scattering and improve the quality of both discussions and essays.
QSF: Uti rogas.
ADM: Uti rogas.
QAO: Abstineo.
MSCA: Uti rogas.
TDD: Uti rogas.
TC: Uti Rogas. This coming year will be an experiment to determine whether or not we employ this new structure or return to the arrangement we have now.
QCL: Nego.
PDM: Uti rogas. This change will make the Societas more transparent, and this will hopefully attract some new members.

---
---

The reasoning behind this Senatus Consultum is the following: in its four years of existence, the Societas has always had collegia that are active, and collegia that are not at all. Some, such as Graecum, always had a strange overlap with the other collegia, while other topics seemed to fall in between other collegia (such as literature).

Each year, there are one or two individuals who try to keep the small collegia alive, but each year, they fail to generate a lot of discussion, activity or projects that really work or matter. It's not with great pleasure that we therefore fold our collegia back into four, but if we want to keep being active without feeling the strain or moral obligation to invest wasted energy into the smaller, inactive collegia, the Societas will improve as a whole.

In the future, when there are enough people to carry these topics on a weekly or even daily basis, there may be room again for a collegium militarium. There may also be room again for a collegium vitae quotidianae, and there very well may be other more exotic collegia in the future. But we should be realistic. Our human resources are scarce as they are, and by combining former collegia, we are also combining knowledge, and making topics more accessible.

But, because we can never be sure if this works, the effects of this SC will be reviewed again in 2005.

Valete bene,
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:50 pm

I'm afraid that I'm not happy that this consultum was issued. I enjoyed the greater granularity afforded by better differentiated collegia. When I had a question about Roman diet under the old structure, I knew exactly where to search. Now I will have no idea.

The rectorships of the collegia have served as leadership training for newer members that may not have felt comfortable declaring themselves magisterial candidates right off the bat. With our membership growing, albeit slowly, we should be finding additional leadership opportunities for sodales who would like to serve, not be cutting them back.
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:48 pm

Salve Tergeste,

I'll answer your second point first. In fact we intend to make rector a dual office, much like our current magistracies, so the number of officers will remain the same. I'm also not sure if rectorships are an easy first step towards another position. In fact an inactive or ignorant rector is much more of a problem than an inactive magistrate.

As to the first point, all old topics are still there, they've just moved to their new homes. As I explained below the vote, it was simply too unpractical to artificially keep three or four collegia alive that haven't been viable for years. Also, I'm not excluding they may return in the future, the structure of the Societas allows for that. Of course, having four collegia may take some time to get used to, but for any newcomer the former eight collegia also took some time to get used to. Also, under their headings the collegia are rather self-explanatory.

Hope this helps.

Optime vale,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Collegiae

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:31 pm

Salvete omnes...

Neither do I like the collapsed Collegium structure. CollMil, CollVitaQuot and others were never about traffic levels, magistri, they were about presence and options. If it were a popularity contest, University courses in any branch of Roman studies would be even rarer in the US than they already are. What determines 'viability'? --We are already, by mundane standards, lovers of the obscure. Permit us our corners, our study-groups, however small. Is it really so much harder, from the technical standpoint, to have eight Collegia than four?

If a Collegium persistently cannot find a Rector, that is a good argument for consolidation or elimination. If, like CollPhil, it merely has more readers than writers, it is still worth perpetuating; it is plenty 'viable' for the writers, and even the readers get something out of it!

Oh, you say, it's all still there, the new structure is self-explanatory. Self-explanatory to whom? The gents who set it up, certainly; perhaps most everybody else. Not at all to this befuddled old veteran, who even in ancient studies cannot seem to get things to stay put.

It pains me now to look at the Forum Index, with more in the 'Admin' area above than in the 'Collegia' section below. Only four...?? --Even if it is "all still there", it must seem visually to the newcomer that we haven't been up to much. Fonts, layout, areas of text communicate as much as words. (I am a printer, remember?) Our Index now looks top-heavy, which nobody wants in an organization. Go inside a Collegium and it's even worse; a whole mish-mash of topics unrelated by anything but proximity. I feel like an attendee at a shotgun wedding. (Plenty of those, still, in Texas.) >({|;-)

In short, I, like Aurelius Tergestus, faver the higher resolution, what he calls the granularity, of the one-Collegium-per-decent-sized-field-of-study concept.

I leave you, magistri et Senatores, with two questions I have asked before, and would very much like an answer to now:

-- As long as we're correcting the Latin names of everything, shouldn't we be the Societas Viae Romanae, the Society of the Roman Way...?

- and -

-- When in the Nine Hells are proposals like the Edictum de Nominibus and this Collegium reform going to start being put before the People in Comitia??

No joy in Mudville,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:52 pm

Salve Marius

Your point is well taken. I have reviewed the Regula Fundamentalis and as iurisconsultus have so notified the Senate of the pertinent wording in section VIII on the Collegia:

"Collegia may also be derecognised by a majority vote of the Comitia Generalia in which members of the collegium being voted upon shall have full voting rights."

Sodales may petition the Senate at any time to form a new collegium, and the Senate has authority to either recognize the new collegium or not. The former collegia were so recognized by the Senate, and under the Regula Fundamentalis only the Comitia Generalia can now derecognize any of our former collegium. Such derecognition would have to be done on an individual basis, and formation of new collegia should also be done individually, each requiring a minimum of three sodales to sponsor their recognition by the Senate.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Collegiae

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:31 am

Salve Mari,

And my apologies in advance if I come across a little ticked off.

Marius Peregrine wrote:Neither do I like the collapsed Collegium structure. CollMil, CollVitaQuot and others were never about traffic levels, magistri, they were about presence and options. If it were a popularity contest, University courses in any branch of Roman studies would be even rarer in the US than they already are. What determines 'viability'? --We are already, by mundane standards, lovers of the obscure. Permit us our corners, our study-groups, however small. Is it really so much harder, from the technical standpoint, to have eight Collegia than four?

Yes, it is. Imagine a haphazard visitor coming to our site, and seeing that in at least three collegia, there are very few articles, and usually the last posting on its forum is from a month before his visit. I would support your view, if there was at least one or two people in such dark corners who would make a structured, continious effort to write articles or partake in discussions. The thing is, that wasn't happening. We are not about statistics, but we are not about keeping structures artificially alive either.

Marius Peregrine wrote:If a Collegium persistently cannot find a Rector, that is a good argument for consolidation or elimination. If, like CollPhil, it merely has more readers than writers, it is still worth perpetuating; it is plenty 'viable' for the writers, and even the readers get something out of it!

Oh, you say, it's all still there, the new structure is self-explanatory. Self-explanatory to whom? The gents who set it up, certainly; perhaps most everybody else. Not at all to this befuddled old veteran, who even in ancient studies cannot seem to get things to stay put.

It pains me now to look at the Forum Index, with more in the 'Admin' area above than in the 'Collegia' section below. Only four...?? --Even if it is "all still there", it must seem visually to the newcomer that we haven't been up to much. Fonts, layout, areas of text communicate as much as words. (I am a printer, remember?) Our Index now looks top-heavy, which nobody wants in an organization. Go inside a Collegium and it's even worse; a whole mish-mash of topics unrelated by anything but proximity. I feel like an attendee at a shotgun wedding. (Plenty of those, still, in Texas.) >({|;-)

Under each heading, there is an explanation what the collegium is about. Unrelated topics? I don't think so. There has gone some hard and long thinking into some of these mergers. Remember: we haven't done away with certain topics or areas of study. They were joined because appearently some couldn't survive on their own. That this structure puzzles you at first, that I can understand, but eventually I guess you'll grow into it.

Lastly, I find your remark about there being more admin subforums than collegia to be a mean one, because it's not true. The only "admin" related subforums are the forum rules, the comitia and the senate. The Senate is invisible to all but its members, so that doesn't even count. Then, there's provincia Belgica (which has to do with the community), the general forum (which also has to do with the community and not with its administration), and the ludi societatis, which is there for everyone's amusement.

Marius Peregrine wrote:In short, I, like Aurelius Tergestus, faver the higher resolution, what he calls the granularity, of the one-Collegium-per-decent-sized-field-of-study concept.

I leave you, magistri et Senatores, with two questions I have asked before, and would very much like an answer to now:

-- As long as we're correcting the Latin names of everything, shouldn't we be the Societas Viae Romanae, the Society of the Roman Way...?

I am not against this. It should be considered.

Marius Peregrine wrote: - and -

-- When in the Nine Hells are proposals like the Edictum de Nominibus and this Collegium reform going to start being put before the People in Comitia??

This was the part that ticked me off a bit, because...

- The 'edictum' (decretum, actually) de nominibus was ratified by the Comitia.
- Collegium reform is within the jurisdiction of the Senate. But, as Piscinus points out, members can petition for a vote in this matter.

Also, please remember that it does not take final effect until November 2005...

Optime vale,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:38 am

Salvete sodales,

After having been notified by a pixie, I want to state here that if any of you find me angry or disagreeable today, it's because of several factors, most of which lie outside of the Societas. I apologise for my bad temper, especially to Marius and Piscinus.

Curate ut valeatis,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

None taken.

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:14 am

No offense taken, Legate; it is permitted even close friends to disagree on matters of organization. I think this thing, you think that, and we've both been in the Societas long enough to know what we're talking about; all that means is that good points can be made either way (and a whole lot of other ways besides), and that nothing the Senate of an online community does should come between amici or be taken personally.

I used "Admin section" for the top half of the Index ("Rules" thru "Belgica") because I haven't a better term. I was not trying to imply that the SVR is bureaucratic, only that from the Forum layout it might seem so, albeit subconsciously.

As for my having confused an Edictum with a Decretum...oops! My bad. Chalk it up to my having been away from things for several weeks, and also to old Mari not being the sharpest pair of scissors in the drawer to begin with. >({(:-)

Everyone's allowed one off-day per month. Doesn't it feel good, mi Draco, to know that you and I have both got our Ianuarian moments out of the way so early?? <g>

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Referendum--Collegia Reform?

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:57 am

Salvete amici...

Time to haul this one back up to the top of the heap.

A hair over a year ago, the Senate, after some internal debate, presented--and at the same time enacted--the proposal that opens this topic. This was not the usual procedure, even then; the Senate made proposals, the Comitia voted on them, usually in conjunction with one of our normal twice-yearly elections. We were reassured that the measure was only temporary, an experiment; that we would get a chance to vote on it once the experiment had run for several months. The 'sunset' on this Senatusconsultum was to have been the Magisterial elections of last November.

Unfortunately, 2758 turned out to be a rather bizarre year. Most significantly, we had an admin shakeup of some severity. Instead of electing Rectors for the Collegia that summer, we had a Concilium in the fall to rewrite the Regula. When the new charter was 'reported out of committee', we found ourselves with no Magistrates...no Senate...and no mention whatsoever of the Collegia. Plainly they still exist; we post to them every day...but our chance to vote on the changes to them sort of fell through the crack.

For the newish among us, I post the original list of Collegia and the sorts of topics discussed in each:
    Collegium Historicum: Roman history, historiography, personalities, archaeology, physical anthropology.

Collegium Artium:
    Roman arts, literature, architecture, humor, Roman-themed modern works, and member efforts inspired by any of the above (notably the roleplay section).

Collegium Religionum:
    Roman and other ancient religions, their Gods, rituals and beliefs.

Collegium Philosophicum:
    Roman and other 'period' philosophy, as discussed and actually practiced by our members, in daily life and in special symposia held here for the purpose.

Collegium Militarium:
    Roman military history, arts, science and daily life of the soldier.

Collegium Latinum:
    Latin language and how best to apply it in modern times.

Collegium Graecum:
    Greek language, history and culture.

Collegium Vita Quotidiana:
    Roman crafts, cultural anthropology and daily life; everything from kinds of pets to the price of bread in Pompeii.

Ludi Societatis:
    Virtual chariot-races, gladiator fights, and other competitions, such as an essay contest, from time to time.

By contrast, our present situation is this:

Collegium Historiae Antiquae:
    Ancient history in general, incorporating the historical side of the Collegium Graecum and all of Collegium Militarium.

Collegium Artium, Philosophiae et Scientiae:
    A real mish-mash, combining CollArt and CollPhil (which seem strange together) and 'scientia', which has never been clearly defined, to me at least.

Collegium Religionum:
    same as before.

Collegium Linguarum Antiquarum:
    As Collegium Latinum, but now including the linguistic side of CollGraec as well.

Ludi Societatis:
    same as before.

This is what Aurelius Tergestus referred to as the greater granularity of the old setup: things were a lot more finely divided. Everyone knew what to post where. Indeed, the SVR Website itself is still divided up thusly, pending final enactment of the changes, and this no doubt causes some confusions for members who visit both the Forum and the site. It's also not much fun for the Aedilis-cum-Webmaster who has to decide where to upload contributions. Just for that reason I would be in favor of a referendum; but there's more.

The original reasons given for the reform were that some Collegia were much less active (and therefore, in the eyes of the proponents, less sustainable) than others; and that we consistently had trouble finding Rectors for all the Collegia. Would you believe that in the beginning we had to field three officers for each Collegium...? In latter days we were happy just to get a full slate of Rectors. As to inactivity, this charge was mainly levelled at Collegium Philosophicum and Collegium Graecum, although Collegium Vita Quotidiana (which at that point had existed for only several months) was also implicated.

Since the changes, posts on philosophy and Hellenic culture have dwindled to nearly nothing; and nobody seems to know for sure where to submit materials on daily life. To be fair, the military topics seem to be doing just fine. But the three Collegia that were supposed to have been helped by this consolidation have virtually died out. If Philosophicum had been merged with Religionum it might have stood a chance; I would support such a measure even now, as both Collegia are there to help us Think Big Thoughts. But VQ, as stated, was never given a proper chance; and its topics have been so scattered among so many other sections that it would be hard to think of it as one coherent field of study.

As to having to find enough Rectors...we don't even have Rectors anymore. The Collegia, the heart and backbone of the Societas, have been written out of the Regula entirely. The Senate is dissolved. The only place we can do anything for the Collegia is right here, in Comitia.

As a duly-elected officer of the Societas, I propose that we discuss this matter for at least a couple of weeks. I have given you the history, in a (hopefully) mostly-neutral way, so that you have the information you need to make an informed judgement on the matter. I will take note of any ideas, whether for the current reorganization, a different one, or a flat-out return to the original setup. I'll eventually pitch in my own proposal, which would be no more valid than anyone else's...but no less so. Once we've talked it over, we can put the Senatusconsultum to a vote; if it fails, we can take our own ideas and make them into an alternate proposal, or just put things back the way they were--but that'd be a separate vote, I think (Attice, Tergeste...quid censites, magistri?).

The Collegia on this Board are the most visible and dynamic way a member can interact within the framework of the Societas. Whether provided for in the Regula or not, the Collegia are vital...and the things that affect them affect us all.

In fide,
Last edited by Aldus Marius on Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:02 pm

Salvete bene Sodales omnes

The collegia are not now a formal part of our organizational structure. That does not mean that we do not have collegia, nor does it mean that we cannot appoint rectores. The collegia never worked as originally intended, as far as forming a structure for our organization. We didn't break our membership up into separate collegia. The collegia did not serve as places to instruct people on different topics. We couldn't find people with the available time or skills to fulfill the original intend of forming SVR into a kind of medeival university where the students, organized as collegia, would elect their instructors as rectores. We drifted away from that idea because it didnt work. Freeing the collegia may help to revitalize them.

The role of the collegia at the moment, and how they have best served, is to organize our boards and our website. Conflating them as this senatusconsultum did, nolonger serves any purpose for our organizational structure, and it confuses our boards. I don't think we want to have numerous boards as does Ancient Worlds. so many that it gets confusing as to where to look for information. But we can break up our current collegia so that they cover more specific areas. The concerns that some formerly had about the development of our collegia no longer matter. We should rethink their purpose and use them accordingly

Valete optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:23 am

Horatius Piscinus wrote:The collegia are not now a formal part of our organizational structure... Freeing the collegia may help to revitalize them...
The role of the collegia at the moment, and how they have best served, is to organize our boards and our website...The concerns that some formerly had about the development of our collegia no longer matter. We should rethink their purpose and use them accordingly

Precisely what I was thinking as well.

Valete,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

(A spot of color)

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:00 pm

Salvete magistri...

This topic was re-opened for discussion two weeks ago today, and so far only two Sodales besides myself have commented--one a current, the other a former officer of the Societas.

Piscinus has raised the very telling point that what the original Senatusconsultum was trying to achieve with an eleven-month trial period could probably be better done nowadays through a long weekend on my part.

I see little point in extending the discussion period. Attice, Tergeste...would it be appropriate to set up a poll for this referendum sometime in the next few days?

This poll would be to finally approve or reject the original Senatusconsultum. If it is not approved, a separate discussion could be opened for how we do want the Collegia to be organized.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:46 am

Sorry I have been absent during this formative time. My father had major surgery and has not been recovering well. It's not over, but his chances of making a full recovery look strong at this point.

Regarding a referendum on the consultum: I'm not sure that one is necessary. And I think that perhaps many if not most sodales are tired of all this stuff. I am.

So let's do this: affirm that the consultum is approved unless two sodales object by Friday of this week. If at least two do object, we'll have a referendum by poll starting on Saturday and running until the following Saturday. How's that sound?

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Since you asked...

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:04 am

On this issue, I shall paraphrase the sage Gollum:

That Senatusconsultum: I Hates It Forever!!!

One down, one to go.... <g>

"Ha ha only serious" is...

- - -
Aldus Marius Peregrinus
just-plain-Sodalis for this one
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:38 pm

I think we need room for discussion in the Comitia, rather than set up a poll immediately. The question, in my view, is not just "will we keep the current system or revert to the earlier system ?". As said in my previous post, with our current administrative structure, I am in favour of "freeing the collegia", as Piscinus put it. But we should look at this collegium by collegium.

My suggestion would be a 'mix-up' of the previous and the current system :

*Collegium Historiae Antiquae (including the military and daily life aspects)
*Collegium Artium et Litterae (I think literature should be mentioned explicitly, as an aspect to be discussed under 'arts' rather than 'languages')
*Collegium Philosophiae et Scientiae
*Collegium Religionium
*Collegium Linguarum Antiquarum

Valete,

Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Collegia reform

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:00 am

Salve, mi Attice...

My own proposal would look more or less like this:

-- Collegium Historicum (as now, including military)

-- Collegium Artium (including literature, and we could certainly tweak the name to reflect that)

-- Collegium Religionem et Philosophicum: I feel that these two belong together, if ColPhil is not to stand on its own.

-- Collegium Linguarum Antiquarum (Greek and Latin, as now)

-- Collegium Vitae Quotidianae: I really think that this one needs to be a separate deal. Every other Collegium has Roman daily life as its backdrop; hence, when there is confusion about where to post something, it's usually a daily-life topic. A clearly-marked place to put these could only be a good thing.

All that having been said, the current referendum is on the Senatusconsultum currently in effect. Wouldn't we have to vote the thing up or down before considering what we want to see next...?

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:21 am

Let's consider the Senatus Consultum to be approved. It simply reflects the reality of the Societas since the reorganization of the Collegia.

Approval does not mean that the Consultum is the final answer. The question of the number and organization of the Collegia will be continue to be discussed. I've suggested to Marius that he offer a poll of the various schema that have been offered. We can choose the organization that people like the best.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Re: Collegia reform

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:45 pm

Salvete Sodales omnes

-- Collegium Historicum et Militarum
-- Collegium Artium et Litterae
-- Collegium Religionem et Philosophicum:
-- Collegium Linguarum Antiquarum
-- Collegium Vitae Quotidianae:

There, that looks better. I agree that philosophy and religion would go better together, because of how our discussions on philosophy went in the past. Doesn't mean that wouldn't change. Linguarum Antiquarum, so as to to include Egyptian, Aramaic, and whatever else. Vitae Quotidianae, it is a good idea to keep this separate and use it to cover a variety of subjects - cooking, medicine, engineering, women's stdies, daily life in all aspects. A problem with it before seemed to be the name. You don't need to know any Latin to fairly guess the topics of discussion in the other collegia. Vita Quotidiano or Vita Cottidiano just did not convey to people the topics of discussion. Collegium Humanitatis for "culture" or some other name we might use?

What else, I wonder, might convey the topics of discussion in each collegia? Patrons, famous figures, Greek and Roman who might represent a collegium? One possibility. And activities that we might sponsor in each, each collegium having its own unique sort of activity. Symposia we used with philosophia and that would work with Religiosum as well. The gladiatorial contests and races would work in Vita Quotidiano. Art competitions and poetry competitions in Artium et Littera. Perhaps trivia contests in Historium et Miliatarum, or those personality things we did earlier. But something a little different in each collegium to make each one unique in what it offers.

There is not in this structure a collegium where the story-teling RPG activities would fit well. Our attempts did not get off the ground well, but a special place for that sort of activity may be an idea to consider once more.

And mi Mari, for the collegia webpages, have we more material available? I stopped sending more articles for the religiosum pages as things got backed logged. I would like to replace some things we had there before, reorganize it maybe, and add in some new things.

Valete optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Contributions

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:49 am

Salve, mi Horati...

I have got bundles of essay contributions and Weblinks that are waiting to be formatted and put on the site. Many, if not most, are already on the server, just haven't been linked to yet. I consider this to be my "reason for being" for the rest of the year.

However...(you knew there was a 'However')...there are a lot of things about the site that must be brought up to date if we are to be even comprehensible to a visitor. I've redone the Alba; now the real work begins: uploads and rewrites to large chunks of the Regula section.

There have been no edicts, decreta or senatusconsulta published on the site since mid-2004. The last two versions of the Regula haven't seen daylight either; they are with the rest, still snug in their Forum cradles. And once all that's been formatted for upload...why, then I get to redo the pages that refer to them, in light of the rather sweeping changes to our administrative structure.

I'm thinking I should do this before I start on the other. First-timers are getting a wrong impression about how the Societas runs. It's not that clear-cut anymore, for them or for us.

I do like your Collegium organization, btw. Wish we'd had it in time for the vote... Roleplay can stay in Artium; it is a Roman-inspired creative effort. Has anyone got a good alternate name for CollVQ? (Vita Romana, maybe?)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Collegia

Postby Marius on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:44 pm

Salvete iterum!

Mari again, under my "test" login. I just took another look at Piscinus' suggestion...that is my proposal, but with better names! And I do like them. If my version of the reform passes, I can name the new Collegia themselves according to Pisci's idea.

And of course I will let everyone know when the site'll be ready for new contributions. I'm shooting for late Spring. Get to work, Sodales! <feg>

(Got to get a smiley for that Fiendish Evil Grin!)

In nomine Alde Marii,
Marius

Next

Return to Comitia