Poll - Restructure SVR?

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Poll - Restructure SVR?

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:21 pm

Here is the poll that Curio suggested.

Is it your wish and desire, sodales omnes assembled together in Comitia, to form a Consilium and to give the Concilium authority to write a new Regula for the Societas Via Romana, incorporating into it the ideals of our community and establishing an organizational structure by which to manage SVR's further development?
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:23 pm

Damn. I'm not authorized to set up a poll. Could somebody do this please?
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:50 pm

Salve Tergeste

You are not authorized to set up a poll in the Comitia, but you can in the General Forum. I will place a poll there.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:58 pm

Do we really want a poll in the General Forum where non-registered visitors can see it (and vote?!?). Somebody ought to be able to set up a poll here in the Comitia where it belongs.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:31 pm

Salvete Tegeste et sodales omnes

The poll is up. Do I prefer it in the General Forum? No. But then again SVR is also those viatores who visit us, and it is only a poll rather than a vote. The poll is up for seven days.

At the same time we can each simply post here. Is it really necessary or even desireable that it should be a vote taken in secret ballot? Isn't this issue important enough that we all see who is in favor and who among us are opposed, and what reasons each of us would have in voting how we choose?

All sodales should voice their opinion on this issue.

I favor the formation of a Consilium, the writing of a new Regula Fundamentalis for SVR, and the refounding of our societas by the whole body of our sodales. Thus I vote Sic uti rogas.

Valete optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:42 pm

I too vote sicut. I favor a decentralized structure with increased importance of the Collegia and their respective Rectores. As I have outlined elsewhere, I propose that the Senate be a council of the Rectores with executive power invested in a sole Consul who serves at the pleasure of the Senate.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:55 pm

Salve Piscine,

I voted, too for sic uti rogas. Like I'd posted earlier I think we have too many offices, the sense of some is not even clear to me, and therefore I'd like to have simpler regulae and less offices. We definitely need some who are responsible for the webpage and the forum, to keep it clear of spam and to moderate the forum if necessary. Also we still need the rectores to the collegiae who organize things like the essay contest or decide who and what could published on the pages of the collegiae.

I'm sure that the SVR will survive this crises and hope that we keep enjoyoing it as much as we did.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:01 pm

Salvete

I also vote sic uti rogas.

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

* nods vigorously *

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:44 am

Salvete amici,

I chimed in this morning--Sic Uti Rogas. (And my thanks to the Sodalis who translated that phrase; I like the meaning of it.)

Our current Regula is more reflective of our origins than it is of our current direction and status. It looks OP-ish for two reasons: because when it was written everyone was still obsessing about the OP, from which we'd just escaped with our hides intact; and because the OP's was the only other neo-Roman constitution we knew. Hence many features got copied over because NovaRoma had them; other features were, paradoxically, designed to ward off any OPishness that our new Roman Entity might be in danger of developing.

We do not live under the shadow of NovaRoma any longer. We've grown our own habits, healthy ones, and we're not likely to give them up for anybody. I think we are strong enough to look NovaRoma in the face and say "We're different from you and we like it." I think we are even strong enough to say to them, "And you know what...? --I think working together on the next Roman Market Days (or other event) is a splendid idea."

There is a small element in the SVR Senate that does not agree, that believes that any contact with the OP or anyone in it must inevitably lead to our brainwashing, corruption and downfall. It is the obduracy of that element that has made a 'crisis' out of a normal discussion, and that has brought us to this pass. I do not like being told by any third party (however well-intentioned) what I can and cannot handle, or what is good for my soul.

The Regula we have now has gotten us this far. It is not all-over flawed. But in the four years since it was assembled, we have taken on a definite personality as a group; we have become more certain of what it is we want here, and of what the Societas is for. I would like to see a Charter free of fear, free of OP obsessions, one that actually describes what we have become as of mid-Quinctilis in the 2758th Year of the City.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:46 pm

Salvete omnes

I vote Sic uti rogas. Like Atticus has pointed out, we have to 'rethink SVR', and I believe a Consilium gives us an opportunity to do so...

Mencius
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:41 pm

Salvete,

I also voted Uti Rogas. However, I think we need more. Before the Concilium can begin to ponder in which direction to take the Societas, they will need to know the beliefs of the Sodales. I think over the next week we need to discuss just what SVR should be. Then the Concilium can work out the best way to take in that direction.

Bene valete,
Curio.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Return to Comitia