Intro for Concordia

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Intro for Concordia

Postby Concordia on Sat May 21, 2005 11:49 pm

Hi all!
Just wanted to quick-like introduce myself. I just joined SVR yesterday. I am interested in all things Roman (and Egyptian and Celtic, but that's for another forum lol). I've been a Pagan for many moons, and am especially drawn to Pomona and Vertumnus.

I am looking forward to learning a lot here.
Nine Blessings,
Concordia
Concordia
Socius
Socius

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sun May 22, 2005 12:05 am

Salve Concordia

Welcome to SVR. Glad to have you hear. I think questions related to Egypt or the Celts are also appropiate here to ask. They were part of the Roman empire so I don't see any reason why those topics couldn't be discussed here.
Pomona and Vertumnus? Damn, I can imagine that it isn't that easy to find good info on these deities. Lucikly we have our own experts here concerning Religio Romana.
vale

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Q Valerius on Sun May 22, 2005 7:13 am

Welcome to SVR :) I hope your stay is an enjoyable one. Curious me, dicisne Latinam?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun May 22, 2005 12:20 pm

Salve Drusilla Valeria,

Welcome to SVR!

Optime vale,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Concordia on Sun May 22, 2005 3:54 pm

Quintus Aurelius Orcus wrote:Salve Concordia

Welcome to SVR. Glad to have you hear. I think questions related to Egypt or the Celts are also appropiate here to ask. They were part of the Roman empire so I don't see any reason why those topics couldn't be discussed here.
Pomona and Vertumnus? Damn, I can imagine that it isn't that easy to find good info on these deities. Lucikly we have our own experts here concerning Religio Romana.
vale

Quintus

Thank you so much for the kind welcome. I will remember your advice about Celtic and Egyptian interests.

You're absolutely right about finding good info about Pomona and Vertumnus. (In my experience at least) it's slow goin' and slim pickins' most of the time. If anyone has any good ideas about where to get more information about them, I'd be deeply grateful.

Have a great weekend!
Concordia
Concordia
Socius
Socius

Postby Concordia on Sun May 22, 2005 3:56 pm

Q. Valerius Scerio wrote:Welcome to SVR :) I hope your stay is an enjoyable one. Curious me, dicisne Latinam?

Hi!
Thanks for the welcome! I don't speak Latin, just English and Spanish.
Nine Blessings!
Concordia
Concordia
Socius
Socius

Postby Concordia on Sun May 22, 2005 3:57 pm

Gnæus Dionysius Draco wrote:Salve Drusilla Valeria,

Welcome to SVR!

Optime vale,
Draco

Hi Draco!
Thanks for the welcome!
Nine Blessings,
Concordia
Concordia
Socius
Socius

Hello there!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun May 22, 2005 10:40 pm

Salve, magistra (that's "Greetings, O Wise One")!

I am Marius; Marius the Wanderer. I am notoriously difficult to sum up; my last attempt may be seen in my Profile here. Hmm, let me think...

-- I'm a Desert Storm veteran, Unc'a Sam's Air Force
-- I'm from Texas; the family's from southern Spain
-- I used to be in a certain Roman Internet Micronation
-- I've been here a long time
-- I'm the resident madman, the local Werewolf, and a Pelagian Christian (heretical sect w/ strong Celtic leanings--I talk to Pagans, not Evangelicals)
-- I'm a Faire Nerd, a Computer Tech, and a Roman Army Geek (amongst other things)
-- I like roleplaying games, Roman names, daily life, Latin inscriptions, and anything to do with the Legions, including shrugging into my lorica on the weekends and Livin' some History
-- I'm a Bard-Storyteller, I get that from my Celtiberian side
-- I love my puppy-dogs
-- I have a complete set of Asterix
-- I am not dangerous...just very playful!
-- Every once in a while I go head-to-head with one of the Magistrates about some organizational something-or-other. They still let me sign in, for which I am profoundly grateful. >({|:-)

...and that was a Roman Smilie. He's registered and everything!

So: Welcome to the Societas Viae Romanae! Hope you like it as much as I have.

In amicitia et fide (In Friendship and Faith),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Hello there!

Postby Concordia on Tue May 24, 2005 5:56 am

MariPere' wrote:Salve, magistra (that's "Greetings, O Wise One")!

Hello, Marius!
What a nice welcome...thank you! Such a lot of interesting info about you...thanks for taking the time to share.
Nine Blessings,
Concordia
Concordia
Socius
Socius

Inquiry

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue May 24, 2005 7:08 am

Salve iterum (Hallo again), mi Concordia...

A question, and maybe an answer:

What are the 'Five Blessings'? (I do like to know what things are being wished upon me--especially the nicer ones.) >({|:-)

And...I think I saw a page or three about your God and Goddess on a site about Numinism several years ago. If I find it again I'll slip you the addy...!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Inquiry

Postby Concordia on Tue May 24, 2005 2:33 pm

MariPere' wrote:Salve iterum (Hallo again), mi Concordia...

A question, and maybe an answer:

What are the 'Five Blessings'? (I do like to know what things are being wished upon me--especially the nicer ones.) >({|:-)

And...I think I saw a page or three about your God and Goddess on a site about Numinism several years ago. If I find it again I'll slip you the addy...!

In amicitia et fide,

Hello, again, Marius!
I don't know about the "Five Blessings"...I'm thinking you mean the "Nine Blessings" that I sign off with? It's a way of saying "many-many" blessings upon you...all the good stuff you can think of! lol

And thank you! for the lead on Pomona and Vertumnus...any help is greatly appreciated.
Nine Blessings!
Concordia
Concordia
Socius
Socius

That Web site

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed May 25, 2005 6:34 am

Salve iterum, Concordia!

I did indeed mean the 'Nine Blessings' of your .sig; guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. Then again, I am the local madman, which means (amongst other things) that I confuse easy. Bear with me sometimes; I mean well.

On a brighter note, I have, without too much difficulty, re-encountered the Numinism Web site. The subtitle is "A Roman Religion for Today", so the interpretation may be a bit on the Modernist side; someone who has studied or practiced this religion would be better able to say. Some of the terms are a little odd--'divo' and 'diva' for God and Goddess, pro exemplo; this becomes easier to understand and put up with when one realizes that the site is translated from the Italian. But there's a whole page on the myth of Pomona and Vertumnus. Perhaps it will meet your needs.

The site is at:
http://www.geocities.com/numinism/

The link to Pomona's story is on the "Basics" page.

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Concordia on Wed May 25, 2005 2:56 pm

Hi again, Marius!
That's quite all right...I am perpetually confused myself, so you have company. ;-)

Thank you so much for digging up that website for me. I'm going to skedaddle on over there this morning and check it out.
Nine Blessings,
Concordia
Concordia
Socius
Socius

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri May 27, 2005 1:52 pm

Salve Concordia

Welcome to SVR :party:

The story of Pomona and Vertumnus is found in Ovid's Metamorphoses Book XIV. The Latin version Book XIV 623-697 http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/ovid/ovid.met14.shtml

An English version at Perseus Project...
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... 3D%2313250

And a French version
http://pot-pourri.fltr.ucl.ac.be/files/ ... t14_fr.txt

Di te ament
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Concordia on Fri May 27, 2005 4:25 pm

Hello!
Thanks again for the kind welcomes...you've all made me feel very comfortable here, and I appreciate that. :-)

I am so happy for the links! Many thanks!
Nine Blessings,
Concordia
Concordia
Socius
Socius

Return to Introductions