Look what I found

Announcements about reenactments, conferences, history faires and other Roman organizations and events. Tell us what's happening in *your* Province this week!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Look what I found

Postby Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus on Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:11 am

SALVETE OMNES, S.V.B.E.V.

Do we have some competition here, or possible allies?

VALETE BENE!
NOX EST PERPETVA VNA DORMIENDA
Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus
Eques
Eques

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:05 pm

Salve Garrule,

Hard to say from the first view if they are allies or competition. But at least their homepage doesn't say anything about them in contrary to ours which explaines perfectly the goals of the SVR.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

** tap tap ** (Is this thing on...?)

Postby Marius on Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:28 pm

Avete amici,

I checked 'em out a little bit, a couple nights ago. [BTW, the 'About' link on the home page will take you to their mission statement.] Potentially worrisome: All the recent articles were written by the same guy... OTOH, they do have some excellent information on the Legions. I shall have to bump it up against my own research to see if any of my Edumacated Guesses has been improved upon. (Hey, it happens!)

Info in some of the other areas is...adequate; it has the flavor of 'received wisdom' at times. You know, the stuff that "everybody knows", and which is repeated, with scarcely any change of wording, in generation after generation of textbooks and summaries? (In biology, pro exemplo, the Dawn Horse Eohippus is almost always described in textbooks as being "about the size of a Fox Terrier", even though most people too young to have seen The Thin Man have probably never laid eyes on a Fox Terrier?)

But I barely scratched the surface of the site the other day, and only really went in-depth on the thing of special interest to me. So, on the quality, I'd say: Provisionally Good; Potentially High. More as I further my explorations!

But why are we so quick to think in terms of "allies" or "competition"? That's an OP mindset. It reminds me of the talk over there when I put up the previous edition of the Roman Outpost. The Powers-that-Were feared that I was setting up a rival organization, and that every pair of eyeballs that looked at the Outpost was a loss to the OP. Neo-Roman friends (yes, I had some) had to point out that the OP was a young nation, whereas my humble Page was simply a Web site about Rome and Bein' a Roman. What could be wrong with a Roman looking at a Web site about Rome?? One wants this thing, if one is healthy; one expects it. The more the merrier, nonne...?

Apparently not. The OP has, I understand, taken on much of the character of a cloistered order of assassins in the last few years. The e-List is closed to non-members; you cannot even lurk or read the Archives before joining. And once you do join, it seems you need permission to set up your own Web site, e-List, Bulletin Board or what-have-you. My Page was already the subject of Senate debate; heaven help the poor schmoe who actually does join another Roman-interest group--because all other organizations are "rival" by default. (Any corrections to these admittedly sweeping assumptions are welcome.)

Still, true or not, that line of thinking has followed us here. I did not expect this; I thought better of you, and still do. But we have to overcome it, to get it out of our vocabulary and out of our systems for good and all, before we can claim we're that much better.

Competitors? --Allies? ....Howzabout "fella-Romans"? And, given our history as a People, wouldn't that encompass all of the above? >({|;-P

In fide,
Marius

Fora about Ancient History

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:52 pm

Avete Omnes,

When checking out the UNRV forum closer I came across more fora about ancient history. It's weird, I was looking for a forum like this one for a long time, came to know the SVR by coincidence and now I find even more.

I just wonder if you know the following maybe and what you think of it:

http://www.allempires.com/
http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:25 am

L. Tyrrhenus Garrulus Cleopatræ Æliæ Salutem dicit. S.V.B.E.

I like the second one a lot more. Maybe because it is a forum, it generates much more content. The articles on the first are good, but the author needs to use ibid when quoting sources.

Vale bene!
NOX EST PERPETVA VNA DORMIENDA
Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus
Eques
Eques

RomanArmyTalk

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:38 am

Ave amica!

I haven't visited <allempires>, but (as you might expect) I do have a little experience on <romanarmytalk>. Only a little; I hung out with them for a few months, maybe four years ago, so I won't pretend my impression is at all current.

But I had a lot of fun with those guys. They were the usual collection of reenactors and wannabees, and the discussion was not as focussed as that on, say, <Armamentarium>'s board, which is largely comprised of scholars and the more scholarly reenactors. Every once in a while we'd have an actual Expert post something for our delectation. Otherwise it was one long, fun, fascinating brawl, featuring skirmishes over (for example) Age of Recruits; Height Requirement, Yes or No, and If So, What Was It; Tunic Color (ohh, lord!!!), Timing of the Pilum Throw, and (of course) How Badly Did Gladiator Screw It Up.

(Nota Bene: I list these as examples of the kinds of things we talked about. I have discussed every one of these on someone's Roman-Military board somewhere; but it's been much too long for me to recall what, specifically, came from <romanarmytalk> and what came from elsewhere.)

Disclaimers aside, I enjoyed myself. If the Legions had a Fan Club, these guys would be it. There were even people who popped on because they were writing a story, and they wanted to pick the brains of the enthusiasts. Very helpful, very passionate, that bunch. And they must still be fun, because they're still with us. Maybe I'll just go look 'em up again, now that you've mentioned it! >({|;-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Roman Gatherings