Archaeological findings in Germania

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Archaeological findings in Germania

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:34 pm

Salvete.

Recently I heard a temple of Mithras was found in Germany (I believe near Regensburg but I could be wrong). Does anyone have more information about this excavation?

Valete.
Scorpio
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Mithraeum in Germany

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:53 pm

Salve Scorpio,

As the discovery has been made only days ago, few information has yet been released. All I found was a brief notice in a German newspaper and one in the Teheran :?: Times

Eine Tempelanlage für den persischen Gott Mithras hat ein archäologisches Team in Güglingen (Landkreis Heilbronn) freigelegt. Wie das baden-württembergische Landesdenkmalamt mitteilt, sind in der vorzüglich erhaltenen Anlage Bildwerke und Altäre gefunden worden.

In Güglingen wird im Zuge der Erschließung eines Gewerbegebiets eine römische Siedlungsfläche von 2,5 Hektar Größe erforscht. Bereits 1999 ist am Rand dieser Siedlung ein Mithras-Heiligtum gefunden worden. Es war jedoch weitgehend ausgeräumt. Zu den neuen Funden gehören neben Kultgegenständen, Münzen und Keramik aus römischer Zeit auch alemannische Stücke. Die Stadt Güglingen will ihren geplanten Bauhof so gestalten, dass interessante Befunde erhalten und der Bevölkerung zugänglich gemacht werden können.

and..

GERMANY -- Archeologists in southwest Germany have uncovered a 1,800-year-old temple built to the Persian god Mithras while they were working on a Roman dig, authorities in the town of Gueglingen said Friday.

Well preserved parts of an altar, jewelry and pieces of a fresco have been discovered, said Andrea Neth, director at the site, which will be opened to the public on Sunday, AFP reported.

The temple is the fifth of its kind to be found in the southwest German state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, according to local authorities.

The Roman army introduced the cult of Mithras from Persia (modern Iran) to the West. Focusing on truth, honor, courage and discipline, it became the god of many soldiers and traders.

Vale bene,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

border

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:22 pm

Salvete,

Maybe a silly question, but where exactly was the border between Gallia/Belgica/Germania located?

Valete,

Locatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:35 pm

Well....

Caesar describes the border between Gallia and Belgica as the Sequana (Seine), which would include the northern part of France and all of Belgium up until the Rhine. Gallia and Germania were seperated by the Alps.

In later times, there was a provincia called Germania Inferior which, I believe, reached from the Scaldis (Schelde) to the Rhine, while Belgica was the rest of present day Belgium and France north of the Seine. I'm not sure where Germania Superior was.

Scorpio
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:45 pm

Salve,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard on the news that Mithras, who was originally Persian, became God and protector of the emperors. at least, that's what I heard.

Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:04 pm

Gnæus Dionysius Draco wrote:I'm not sure where Germania Superior was.

Scorpio

Germania Superior had the capital Mogontiacum (which is today's town of Mainz) and therefore it was the region of South Germany (roughly the today's "Bundesländer" Südhessen, Baden-Württemberg, Bayern) though I'm not too sure if Bayern (Bavaria) wasn't already in another province (Raetia)
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:06 pm

Salve Draco,

Tiberius Dionysius Draco wrote:Salve,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard on the news that Mithras, who was originally Persian, became God and protector of the emperors. at least, that's what I heard.

Tiberius Dionysius Draco

Yes, it's true the origin of Mithras was in Persia but the Romans used to adopt gods from the regions they had conquered. For whatever reason Mithras was very popular among the legionaries, not among the higher graded officers though.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Historicum