56!!!

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

56!!!

Postby Curio Agelastus on Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:32 pm

Salvete omnes,

How did we manage 56 people online at once? We don't even have half that amount of active members... And yet, the day before Christmas, we have 56 people logging on...

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:51 pm

Someone attempting log-ins but failing at it? Or perhaps someone trying to spam us? Or avatars of Sol Invictus? :)

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby P. Scribonius Martialis on Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:25 pm

Salvete omnes.

I see you have a superb website here, with several unusually learned members, and quite a number of interesting articles. I hope I may be permitted to add to your resources for learning the Latin language - I have a largeish Excel spreadsheet of the 1800 most common Latin words that I compiled for myself some time ago.

As for your mysterious visitors, I see that one of the folks over at textkit
says that:

There was a nasty worm which invaded sites running the same PHP software used here (phpBB), destroyed all html and php pages, then did its own google search trying to find other phpBB sites to obliterate. Needless to say, a bunch of infected phpBB installs all tried to do the same thing to Textkit (which was patched, and thus immune).

That would appear to be the explanation. I take it your server was patched, no?

Avete
P. Scribonius Martialis
P. Scribonius Martialis
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:18 am

Salve P. Scriboni,

Welcome to the Societas! It's good to see another Scribonian around. That Latin compendium sounds like an invaluable tool - in what other fields do your interests lie?

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby P. Scribonius Martialis on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:52 am

Welcome to the Societas! It's good to see another Scribonian around. That Latin compendium sounds like an invaluable tool - in what other fields do your interests lie?

Thank you.

The problem I've always found with Latin words is the wide range of meanings they can convey, so often the English side of the spreadsheet is quite crowded. It seems to me to be quite useful for spotting easily confused words and putting together lists of Latin words that can be translated by the same English term (a particular irritant to my mind, unused as it is to languages). Part of the document was put together while I was still a beginner, and I'm sure the translations I chose reflect that.

At the moment I'm reading some Ovid (Heroides) and finishing off my Caesar (De Bello Gallico, which has always, I gather, been a right of passage for learners of Latin). After that, I rather hope to move on to Martial, Lucretius, or perhaps Suetonius, who is the historian actually responsible for my interest in the Romans.

As for "projects", as they seem to be called on this board, I am quite keen on putting together a syntax of Latin, arranged by the function rather than by form. So you would have a section on, say, asking questions (including the use of rogo, direct and indirect questions, alternate questions, and the deliberative subjunctive - all of which seem to be widely separated in the textbooks I've read), or conceding a point (cum, qui, quamquam, quamvis, licet etc, concessive subjunctive). Comparison (words such as velut, tamquam, perinde ac si etc) seems not to be covered by grammars at all, and all the rather simple but important points of Latin grammar seem to be found right at the back of the textbook. So I feel there's a need for rearranging my grammars.

This would partly be for my own purposes, since I feel I need to take apart my prose composition books and put them back together again in a more logical order if I'm ever going to learn anything, and partly for anyone else who might interest themselves in my pitiful latinity. It is a bit of a shame we can't put together a wiki, but I suppose that takes a great deal of time, something the folks here seem rather short of.

I'm quite keen on Latin prose composition, and I did once try my hand at putting together an elegiac couplet, although this was less than wholely successful. Has anyone here tried verse composition? Genuinely hard to fit one's thoughts into a pentameter - I had a new respect for Martial when I finished.

Tell me, sodales, are any of you familiar with the Textkit website? I think I see an avatar or two I recognize :wink:
P. Scribonius Martialis
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Q Valerius on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:13 am

Yes, I've posted and still post at TextKit before, though I find the general academic tone to be less than what I'm looking for in scholasticism, I still frequent it to look for any subject matter that might interest me still.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

57!!!!!!

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:40 am

Salve,

We had "57" users online on Monday(REALLY?). Also, I like the Name our newest user signed up with "during.boom.ru".

Vale, :roll:
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Censor, Curator
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Au Reli?

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:28 am

Salvete commilitones,

Think we oughtta sic roma.legio.victrix.mil/~RomanOutpost on 'im? >({|;-)

...Na, any of these might turn out to be a useful, contributing Citizen. Zama202 came out alright...!

Checking stockpiles of Flaming Supersonic Pila, just-in-case...

~~~~~~ =========[)-------`~+ )))))))))

(Dang It!!! --I hate it when one gets away!!!)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:54 pm

These .ru accounts are all spam-accounts, and the frater meus deletes them as quickly as possible. It's all part of the job!

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General