Latin-Greek Lexicon

Forum and collegium dedicated to the teaching, writing, speaking and interpretation of Latin, ancient Greek and other languages of related cultures.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Latin-Greek Lexicon

Postby Q Valerius on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:31 pm

I found a Latin-Greek Lexicon at a bookstore here in Memphis from the 1767. Anyone have any ideas on the best ways to preserve such a book?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Re: Latin-Greek Lexicon

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:45 pm

Q. Valerius Scerio wrote:I found a Latin-Greek Lexicon at a bookstore here in Memphis from the 1767. Anyone have any ideas on the best ways to preserve such a book?

By sending it to me ! :lol:

No, seriously : this site might be a help : http://www3.niu.edu/anthro_museum_old/preserving-book.html

Vale,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

Postby Q Valerius on Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:45 am

Thanks for the site. I still can't get over the fact that I have a book that predates the revolution! It's quite a feeling. :D
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Q Valerius on Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:27 am

Well, I turned the heat up a little bit (it gets cold) to dry out the place, and no light generally reaches my living room. The First page reads Greek Lexicon Manual in three parts - hermeneutical, analytical, synthetical - first by Benjamin Hedericum? Institute after repeated care of Samuel Patrick, with many thousands of vocabulary and with many new significant words having made rich, and with many methods for castigating and amending (et multis modis castigatum et emendatum).

with care

IO. AVGVSTI ERNESTI
ED. II
----------------------------------------------
LIPSIAE
In Bibliopolio IOH. FRID. GLEDITSCHII
(not sure how to translate this part)
prostat etiam Londini apud L. Nourse
MDCCLXVII
(which is actually CI~CI~CCCLXVII where ~C is a backwards C)

It's in a beautiful leater binding and is in surprisingly good condition. I am fairly certain of its authenticity by three things, 1: the Latin pregace, 2: the 'f' character (actually distinguishable from the letter F) for S's not at the end of the word, only done in the early 1800s and before, 3: the ligature that is made when a 't' comes after a 'c', and 4: the smell ;)
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Return to Collegium Linguarum