Elections 2758

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Elections 2758

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:24 am

Salvete sodales,

It's early December, and it's time we get to our yearly elections for the central administration. For the year 2758 AUC or 2005 CE, we are looking for:

- 2 rogatores (people who count votes)
- 2 aediles (people who maintain and update our website and forum)
- 2 praetores (legal officers)
- 2 consules (general leaders of the Societas)
- 1 censor (welcomes and processes new members)

There are some tasks that require a rather constant attention, such as censor, but an overall light workload, while there are also offices that require special skills but also allow quite some creative leeway (such as aedilis). All magistrates, except the rogatores, are granted membership of and access to the Senate.

I'm especially directing myself to our newer members here: I would like to encourage all of you to run for office. It's a small step in contributing to this community, and if you feel you'd like to take more steps, please run for office.

Post candidatures here in this topic.

Valete bene.
Last edited by Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:01 am

Vote for me Imperator Romanus!
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:56 pm

Q. Vaemarianus Scerius wrote:Vote for me Imperator Romanus!

I'm sorry but that one's not on the list sir :mrgreen:.

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Sed who?

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:33 pm

Quoth Draco:

> I'm sorry but that one's not on the list sir .

...And if it were, it would be given to a military-type like me. But since the Societas has no army, we are gratefully spared either the necessity of proclaiming an Imperator or the responsibility of being one.

In fide (and wearing an only slightly Fiendish Evil Grin <feg>),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:25 am

Scerius Duellio:

Thanks for the compliment on the website. I urge all to join up and discuss, although I realize that this is a society of Latin scholars and not necessarily Biblical scholars.

Omnibus:

What exactly do these positions entail? I am more of a scholar, not really a politician, but I am always willing to help where help is needed.

Da levibus.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:05 pm

Draco Scerio SPD,

Q. Vaemarianus Scerius wrote:What exactly do these positions entail? I am more of a scholar, not really a politician, but I am always willing to help where help is needed.

Well, in case the minimal explanations in the first postings didn't help, you can always consult our regulae principes which has better explanations on these positions. However, because I realise that most sodales won't really bother to read the legalese, here's a more elaborate introduction.

Rogator. Two rogatores each year are to count the votes of the elections; generally there are two to three elections or votes during the year, often also for legislation within the community. It's an unspectacular job, and you can't run for any other position while you're rogator, but the workload is very little. You just have to be there when it's required, and tally the votes (usually never more than 50).

Aedilis. I guess one could say this is one of the most demanding offices. Administring the forum is relatively easy because the software is user-friendly, but building, updating or changing the site is not an easy task, certainly not since it has improved to the point that we now need good and skilled webmasters to take over Garrulus's excellent work. Aediles have to make sure everything on the site is updated and correct. When I was aedilis, I usually did one or two updates per month. Aediles' decisions can be overruled by praetores and consules. The number of aediles requested may change each year, but the two with the most votes are granted membership of the Senate.

Praetor. Next to rogator probably the least demanding office, but with its own tasks nonetheless. Praetores rule internal disputes between members, but they can also propose legislation or initiate an election procedure through the Comitia. Praetores have membership in the Senate. On some occasions they need to cooperate with the censores in removing members. In an emergency, they can also serve as back-ups to the consules in case both are absent. Praetorial decisions can be overruled by the consules.

Consul. The two consules are in charge of the Societas and its workings. This usually requires a general oversight of what the other magistrates (and rectors) are doing, if they are doing their job well etc etc. Some consules have had a more distinct vision and propose new legislation, offer amendments and so forth, while others generally drift along with the tides. They are the primary spokespersons of the Societas. Consules can use their veto against each other.

Censor. There are always two censores, but each year only one is elected. This means that this office, like aedilis, requires a more or less constant attention because the term of office spans two years. Censores are in charge of processing new applicants, checking their names and data, and adding people to the various alba we have (album sodalium, album magistratuum, album senatorum). In terms of 'moral' authority, this is the highest position in the Societas. This is to point out that a censor, who is generally the first person new members are in contact with, should possess some moral integrity and natural friendliness.

I hope this helps?

Cura ut valeas!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:19 am

Well then, I'll run for position of praetor. I don't have much experience with formal Latin offices, but I own and operate my own website and this includes moderation, and I was a moderator for another site in the past. Plusque est, Latinam dico!
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:25 am

Et linguam Germanicam, nonne? Es sei denn, dass ich mich irre... :P.

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:38 am

Doleo ob mei ne dicendi germanicum. :(

Liber Copticus in Germanico habeo, sed non legere!
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Anonymous on Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:52 pm

Hey

because my boyfriend keeps nagging at me: I would really looooooove to be your next Rogator. :)
No, truly: I'll count the votes and try to visit this site from time to time. (But my English is not that good & I only had two years of Latin in high school and I'm blond, so I have good reasons to feel stupid in this company :))

Yours truly

Katrien
x
Anonymous

Sed Marius.

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:20 am

Ackkkptpth! ...Never trust any candidate that blows kisses...! ** wipes his off ** >({|;-p

Mi Coruncani, I am impressed by your resume. You have made a lifework of doing the 'little' things well...those behind-the-scenes tasks without which no group activity has even a prayer of success. Fides, as you know, is in making wonderful things happen when nobody's looking. People in your position are often overlooked or taken for granted, but make no mistake: they keep the company (organization, etc.) running. From one such 'shoemaker's elf' to another: Te saluto!

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Promotion!

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:25 am

WOO-HOO!!!

I'd promised myself I'd make Centurion before I left Texas...and so I have; and out here in the Comitia too, with everybody watching! >({|8-D

OO-RAH!!!

** runs off to take an invigorating dip in the Tiber **
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:55 pm

Salvete omnes sodales,

It will probably not come as a surprise that I am posting my candidacy for office. As one of SVR's original founders, I've been here since the very start and have seen this organisation expand and grow slowly. I've served two years as censor, one year as aedilis, and this year I had the honour of being consul of the Societas.

I am a candidate for the office of censor. What I believe makes me qualified for the job is not only my past experience, but also the fact that I am able to communicate in or understand many languages. Processing new members is like constantly being at a cradle, and I can only hope to - if elected - be the first to meet many promising new members.

Censor is also a bit of a guiding position. Despite only being 21, I am one of the old men here 8) and I believe that my experience and advice might serve other people in the Senate.

Lastly, I also view this position as my last one in the central administration for some time to come, because I believe that the time is approaching that the older members leave iniative to the (relative) newcomers. But, of course, as long as the community can use my services, I'll be there.

So, please do not forget to vote, and please consider voting for me.

Gnaeus Dionysius Draco for censor!

Valete,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:37 pm

Salvete omnes,

Hereby I, Quintus Pomponius Atticus, announce my intention to run for the office of praetor.

One of the founders of SVR, I have in the past been aedilis, rector and consul.

To my great satisfaction, SVR, in its three year history, has been almost completely spared of conflict between sodales, between sodales and magistrates or between magistrates among each other, which is the main ‘domain’ of the praetores.

If elected, it will be my intention to keep it that way, and, should any conflict arise after all, to treat it in a just, moderate and equitable way and in good dialogue with my colleague.

I would also supervise over the further reform of our internal regulations and the drafting of new ones, should that be expedient.

As a student of history, I would also try to bring under the attention of this community the tremendous importance of Roman right to our modern civilisation, in the form of discussion topics, internet links, bibliographical references and short essays.

I hope you will judge me deserving of your vote.

Valete,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

Re: How much time???

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:17 am

Salve Kaeso,

K. Duellius wrote:How long do I have to decide if I want to try for a post here at SVR?

Until December 15 :).

Valete,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Shameless Plug

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:56 am

DRACO FOR CENSOR!!

(Gods, I'd hate to have to break in a new one!!) >({|;-)

In ...preps for the move,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:08 am

Mi Mari

When??? I missed that. And no announcement at the Outpost? Perhaps Salix and I can find you around the piscina sometime?
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:46 pm

Salvete sodales,

Only five days to go, and we are still looking for (at the very least):

- a second candidate for rogator
- two candidates for aedilis
- a second candidate for consul

Please consider running.

Valete bene,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:35 pm

Salvete

I have considered it. I just think it better for the development of our societas as a whole if we have some of our newer members take office.

Q. B. F. F. sit
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:26 pm

Salve Piscine,

Yes, you are right. But if we don't have any webmasters next year, there won't be much left to run.

Vale,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Next

Return to Comitia