Abigail's Big Table of Latin Phrases

Forum and collegium dedicated to the teaching, writing, speaking and interpretation of Latin, ancient Greek and other languages of related cultures.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Abigail's Big Table of Latin Phrases

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:44 pm

:lol: Enjoy! This was posted on the OP's main list and I thought you might like it.

http://tam-lin.org/abby/latin.html
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Censor, Curator
Curialis
Curialis

Latin Phrases

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:57 am

Salvete Latinistae (now if we could've gotten Reagan to secretly finance our insurgency we might've been all right!!)...

The link is acting very dead. "This Page cannot be displayed"; the same message that shows up when I try to get to the Outpost these days.
>({(:-|

If I could get to it, I could see how much (or little) it might remind me of a couple of other OP phrasebooks. The one that springs to mind is
"Claudia Aprica's Latin Chatting Tips", which had its own Web pages and went quite a bit beyond phrases and into elementary grammar. It was just the thing to get people started in the OP chatroom, back in the day when that was (a) a pleasurable activity and (b) open to everyone.

Very Many Latin phrasebooks, however, are merely ripoffs of the penultimate word on the subject: Professor Henry Beard's
Latin for All Occasions and Latin for Even More Occasions. These are still available new, fairly cheap, and utterly hilarious! If you ever wanted to give a B.S. speech at an alumni/alumnae meeting, or fake translating a Roman inscription because you were with your friends when they spotted it and they reckon you know about such things, or even just to assure your psychiatrist that, other than the occasional strong urge to conquer the world, you're doing just fine, thank'ee!, these books will show you how to do it. Accept No Imitations!!!

I think I still have Aprica's guide on my 'puter. I have been hesitant to upload it anywhere due to possible copyright restrictions. If I find the link for her Page, and it's still up, p'r'aps I'll share that here instead.

Satis...? (Is good?)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:59 am

Salve,

The link is working fine for me. It goes straight to the page when I click the link. I'm not sure what your problem is.

Vale, Gnae
Censor, Curator
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:17 am

Works for me too, mi Mari.

Maybe there is some evil genius messing with your computer :?:

O tempora, o mores...

Iubeo aliquem valere
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Transitory Hiccup

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:45 am

Hup, I got it that time. Must've been a 'Net.Hiccup the other day.

I do recognize about half of these from Professor Beard's books. Some of the rest may hail from Latin for the Incognoscenti and other collections of phrases published in the last five years. 'S OK, as long as credit is given.

No luck on the Aprica page. The one file I've got with her name on it is part of a message she posted to the OP List; it struck me as a beautiful thought.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Linguarum