Life with the Legions RP

The people, conflicts, and daily life of the Roman army.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Do you wish to experience the Roman military first hand?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:05 pm

What are we waiting for? Yes, yes yes!
37%
Nah... too many RP threads around as it is.
25%
I would like to see it, but I shall have no part in it.
37%

Total votes : 8

Life with the Legions RP

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:05 pm

Salvete conmilitones!

I have a proposal for a new project. It is something that was on one of my predecessors' to do-list, but due to lack of time, he never got around doing it...Didn't you, mi Mari? :roll: :wink:

So, what we could do: create an RP thread in which we would all be immersed in the daily lives of ordinary soldiers. What did it feel like when they stood guard in hostile territory, what curses did they murmur when they'd be the ones to clean the latrines,... We might even allow one or two sadistic middle rank officers to spice things up a bit.

We could also choose a particular legion, about to depart on campaign, and sort of reenact the historical campaigns, how the outer provinces were conquered. The possibilities are endless.

But I am aware that there are some RP's already, so I will add a poll to check wheather people are willing to cooperate actively.
Last edited by Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Curio Agelastus on Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:06 pm

Salve Menci!

An excellent idea, I'm certainly up for joining in. And it would surprise me immensely if Marius wasn't highly enthusiastic about the idea. :)

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Military RP

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:27 am

*** POUNCE ! ! ! ***

"...Brings out the kitten in your cat!" (from a commercial for kitty treats)

Well, yes, I would like very much to participate in a specifically-military RP thread. My concept wasn't so much going to try to recreate/reenact any particular historical events; rather, it would focus (as I do) on the daily life and routines of the Roman soldier. The drills, the route-marches, the routines around camp; even religious ceremonies and interactions with the locals (not necessarily hostile!).

In real life, Roman soldiers bought things and sold things and fell in love. They got promotions; they got stuck with the "shit details". They transferred out. Detachments of them were sent on special missions, possibly for the Provincial Governor; this might be the closest thing to a traditional RP 'adventure party'.

And, yes, every once in a while a coalition of tribes would blame the garrison for the latest famine, drought or what-have-you, and then you had trouble. Worse yet: A group of natives may have read a bit too much into the Roman engineering prowess they see all around them, and petition the Red-Crests to actually try to fix whatever's wrong with the land or the weather! Can you imagine the dust-up when they realize such a thing can't or won't happen??

That's what I was thinkin'. It's relevant because, in all likelihood, I'd be the one running the game. But I notice the vote's running 2:1 against, and so far only Pro's have posted. Could we hear a bit from the other side...? A case could certainly be made either way; or maybe something I've said has changed someone's mind. Commentses...?

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:38 am

Mi Mari, Marce et alii

As I said, the possibilities are diverse. Indeed, my initial focus was on camp life, too. But if we are to re-enact some contact with locals, first we have to get our camp amongst them, no?

I gave some options, but there other options, too. So everybody's input is much appreciated.

Iubeo aliquem valere
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:08 am

Salvete

I might offer an "other side" view. I am not into RP in the first place, and I am involved with too many other things to commit to playing. But I do like the idea and would like to see you play the thread. I might even visit if I get a mind to.

Valete
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:41 am

Salvete,

Well I just evened the score, having forgotten to vote yesterday. But who's the other nay-sayer? Speak up, do! :)

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:00 am

Salvete!

Me, I already have enough worries trying to cough up words from my big laurel wreath and wide-fitting toga as it is for the current RP. If you want to make another one about the military; do so by all means! But I won't be participating.

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:51 am

Salvete iterum!

I added an extra poll option, see?

Join in, people! It's free :wink:

Iubeo aliquem valere
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:42 pm

vote: 3
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:59 pm

Salvete iterum, Marce, Mari et alii

I would like to get things going, amici. This warrior is anxious to set up camp. Question is, where will we do that? In Germania, the East, or in Roma Mater? And under which legion will we be marching?

To arms, my friends!
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Curio Agelastus on Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:10 am

Salvete Menci, Mari, and any others interested in joining,

I personally have a hankering to fight in Central or Eastern Europe. However, Germania's been done too many times before. How about going to Macedonia to fight the Scordiscii? Nothing to do with the fact that the original Curio (Curio senior) was the first Roman general to reach the Danube. 8) Alternatively, how about joining the Legio V Macedonia or Legio XIII Gemina?

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus,
Rector ColHis, Senator

Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

A non-suggestion?

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:01 am

Salvete commilitones,

I suppose Britannia's overdone, too...? That's my personal preference; I have maps and everything...

Spain also appeals to me, as does North Africa (outside of Egypt). I ran a most enjoyable AD&D campaign centering around the African Legions after the conquest of Carthage.

Going further east, we don't bump into anything else I know much about until Judea, and what I know of that region I don't like at all.

I don't think there'd be Legions in Rome except for (a) the Praetorians or (b) various incidents around the fall of the Republic...and the troops from (b) didn't tend to remain there.

Not excluding anything is...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:02 am

Salvete iterum

Mi Curio, I made some net searches, and what I found about the Scordiscii is close to nothing. Only short references (about blood rituals).

I think Britannia is actually overdone, so what about North Africa? :idea: I might get into playing a Numibian archer.

I await your comments, amici mi...
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Return to Collegium Militarium