Historical TV-programs

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:41 am

Salvete

For the Belgians here, this might be interesting to know that videoland says that on october the 5th the remake of Spartacus can be rented at the local videostore. I think that people can buy it a little later.
valete

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:36 am

Salvete,

Another notification perhaps for "the Belgian contingent". Recently, the city library of Ghent has acquired a copy of the DVD-box "I Claudius", the famous BBC-series (ten hours of film) first broadcasted in 1976 and now finally reissued. You will need to have a little patience though as, you guessed it, I borrowed the set only a week ago :twisted:

Valete,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:53 am

Unfortunately, I've not noticed this series earlier. Tomorrow is the final part.

Boris Johnson and the Dream of Rome

BBC 3 Sun 5 Feb, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm 60mins

In this final part of the series, journalist, editor of The Spectator and MP Boris Johnson travels to Ephesus, Istanbul, Rome, France and Germany to see how the Roman Empire fostered a sense of common identity amongst its 50 - 100 million people. How did the Romans make people want to be Roman, in a way that we just don't seem to want to be European?

With the help of leading historians and archaeologists, he examines this Romanising process - the baths, the games, and the Cult of The Emperor. We find out the vital part played by bears and honey in keeping the people entertained.

The Roman Empire lasted for over 400 years in Western Europe. What can we in modern Europe learn from its decline and fall? Boris Johnson traces the beginnings of modern bureaucracy, and looks at the problems of expansion. Is the European Union itself getting too big?

He also traces the rise of Christianity, which some at the time blamed for the fall of Rome; the Romano-sceptic barbarians, whom many blame today; and the rise of nationalism, which makes the task of the European Union so difficult. [/i][/u][/b]
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:30 pm

Salve Omnes!

Is any one catching the BBC/HBO series ROME?
What are your thoughts?Comments?Historical inaccuracies?Et Cetera

The one thing I didnt like was the portrayal of the Ptolemys and the Kemetic/Egyptian People.I could be wrong but the clothes and makeup styles they(Egyptians) wore in the Series was nothing like Ive ever seen.Correct me if I am wrong,as I dont know to much about the Ptolemys.

Vale!
M.S.
Anonymous

Previous

Return to General