Any good day-trips outside Rome?

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Any good day-trips outside Rome?

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:21 am

Salvete omnes,

I'm going to be away from 22 July to the 28th, seeing the sights of Roma - it has after all been a whole year and a half since the first time I went. 8)

I'm planning to spend a few days exploring the many parts of Roma that I missed the first time, and I'd also like to do a couple of day trips, one of them to Ostia.

Does anyone have a good idea of a place to go for the second day trip? Ideally within an hour's travel of Rome, and with lots of interesting stuff to see.

Making everyone jealous is...
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus Felix.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:18 am

salve marce,

If you are going to Ostia antica, note that the archeological site is closed on monday. :!:

:arrow: If you want to visit a good site nearby Rome, go to the villa Adriana, near Tivoli. You must take the metro, then the bus, and after all you have to walk to the site. But it's beautiful. Take hat and water if the sun shines. Go on the site on the morning. Anf then in the afternoon take the bus to Tivoli and visit the villa d'este with its gardens : shade, water, it's all you need in the summer. Near the villa, a lot of shops sell pottery, masks in terra-cotta, etc and it's not very expensive.

I really love rome. have a nice week in the eternal city and say hello to ours ancestors lol

(my english is definitly so bad) :cry:

Aulus
Anonymous

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:00 pm

Salve Aule,

Many thanks, I'll bear in mind that Monday can't be spent at Ostia.

Tivoli sounds like a very interesting place to visit, I'll try and get round to seeing it. That's the problem in Roma, so much to see...

One more question I'd like to ask, though: Do you, or anyone here, know anywhere in Roma that sells replicas of Roman busts?

(Don't worry Aule, you speak far better English than the English do!)

Gratias tibi ago et bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:33 am

Design Toscano (www.designtoscano.com) sells a very limited range of replica busts. Their inventory seems to change, however. I have a Voltaire that is no longer listed....

As for in Rome, no, I don't know of any places.
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:19 pm

Salvete Omnes,

When I was in Rome I took the local train to Ostia Antica which is only half an hour train ride.

Another trip you could do for a day (though that needs to start very early in the morning and will have a late return) is to Pompeii. I unfortunately did this trip my an organized bus tour and only found out later that there is a train going from Rome to the Pompeii and the train station actually is very close to the excavation site. So I only had two hours at the excavation site :cry: and I still regret that I'd taken the bus. Next time I'll go there will be definitely by train so I could spent the whole day there.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General