A poll for a weekly chat

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Were we to have a weekly chat, on which day would such a chat be best for you?

Monday
12%
Tuesday
No votes
Wednesday
No votes
Thursday
6%
Friday
No votes
Saturday
50%
Sunday
18%
I don't want a weekly chat.
12%

Total votes : 16

A poll for a weekly chat

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:59 am

Salvete omnes,

Because there seems to be some interest in having a chat fairly frequently, this is just a quick poll to see when the best day to have a chat would be, should we decide to have a weekly chat. I'll leave it running indefinitely in order to allow all those on various absentiae to give their opinions.

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:08 am

Salve,
I picked Thursday. Although, I would also say Wed. evening or Friday would
be just fine.

Vale, GnCL
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Censor, Curator
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Chat?? --What D--n Chat??

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:55 am

Salvete amici...

I think we are asking the wrong question.

The thing that keeps us from getting together more often than we do is not Day but Time. I believe the bulk of the Societas is on Central European time, id est, same time as Roma, with the Brits an hour or two behind. Most of the remainder are scattered through two or three North American timezones, the closest of which is still a good several hours behind Rome. Thus, most successful chat attempts happen in an American's early afternoon, which is after dinner for the European contingent.

For myself (and perhaps this is just frustration speaking), I'd just as soon not have frequent chats. Chats we don't have are chats I won't chew nettles for missing. Because I access the SVR through the network at my local public library, I have never been able to access the SVR chats. The firewall doesn't like them. Shut out, I can only howl and gnash my teeth when I know my friends are meeting--quite possibly right under my nose!--even as I type and surf. I do not like to undergo this sensation very often; chat used to be a huge part of my 'Net.life, and I've never quite accepted the loss. Selfish, yes, but hopefully understandable.

If the Gods were to smile upon the Library and allow their computers to access the SVR Chat, I would most likely be found there on weekday evenings, 1800-2200 Eastern time (I'm actually in Central time, an hour earlier, but everyone knows Eastern so I'm using that); and Saturdays for shorter sessions between 1600 and 1800 Eastern. But I don't see that happening anytime soon, so I reckon I'll just have to wait until I have my own access again.

Sigh.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:50 am

Salvete Mari et omnes

Not SVR chatroom, Mari, but how about my piscina in AW? Did I see you in there already? It is a lot more pleasant than SVR's chatroom. Pick a day and time.

For SVR chats I would prefer weekdays rather than weekends. Any weekday would do, and time in not much of an issue for me.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:06 pm

If I remember rightly, Marius' library computer also struggles with other chatrooms, not just the SVR one. As for time rather than day, I was aware of the problems there, but I thought it would be best to see if there was a day that we were all free to chat on, and then to work from there. Slim hope, it would appear.

Perhaps if any of us feels like chatting we should post on this thread, and anyone who's online can join said poster in the Confab?

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

The Piscina

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:21 am

Avete...

Actually, I can access the chatrooms on Ancient Worlds, such as Horatius' piscina. I don't know why that is; I'm certain it has to do with how a chatroom operates, what programming is behind it, rather than whose it is. The HTML chats on BeSeen worked well for me, when they were still available. Like those, however, AW's chats have unstable connections. The last time I met in Pisci's I was thrown out several times, and then the whole chat network crashed. AW's service is much more prompt than BeSeen's, however, and they're usually back up and running the next day.

So there are chatrooms I can get into from here; but, without knowing what the firewall considers acceptable, I cannot tell you where they are in advance.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Joy!!! --I have access!

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:25 pm

Salvete omnes!!

After years of second-hand Internet access, I am happy to state that, after the move, things have improved: I have my own phone line, and can hop on the 'Net from home anytime.

You know what that means, don't ya??

The irrepressible Marius is now available for chat!! >({|:-D

Now, most of you are about eight (Brits) or nine (Continentals) hours ahead of me, so this still may not be real easy to do. OTOH, I've got all day. So if anyone wants to meet me in the SVR chat or anywhere else, just give me a time and we'll make any necessary adjustments.

Hey, when's our next major group get-together??

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:00 pm

Free evenings on my agenda (evenings ) further this month : 14th, 15th, 17th, 20th, 23th, 27th, 28th.

7 free evenings in 18 days. I suddenly realize I'll have a busy month :)

Valete,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:51 pm

I voted for Saturday because then it would be not a problem maybe so stay up late to catch even those living 9 hours behind Continental European time. Or it should be Sunday morning for us Continental Europeans.

But I agree with Marius that also asking for the best time of the day would have been good. Also it wasn't possible to chose more options but only one. Because Friday would be just as fine. It actually all depends on the precise time but however preferably on the weekend.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Chat facility

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:24 am

Salve, mi Coruncani...

I also have had trouble with the SVR Chatroom. Until recently, I could access it just fine, although I've been the only one present. But for the last couple of weeks at least, I've been getting in there...only it never seems to finish loading.

List of chatters--check. Place to type what you wanna say--check. I get everything except the actual chat window, where our words would appear if we had any. Sorta defeats the purpose, nonne?

Hoping this gets fixed soon; now that I finally can chat, I need a well-lit, reliable place to do it...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:55 pm

Salvete

Saturdays. 9PM Central Europe time= 3PM EST= 12 Noon PST, or an hour either way. This is usually the best time for chats between Europe and the Americas.

We could also set another chat time with a different day and time most convenient for the Americas and one most convenient for Europe. That is, three chat times so a majority of our members would have some idea when to meet with others.

Valete
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:04 am

Piscine, I like the time you proposed to link between America and Europe. What does everyone else think?
Rector ColHis, Senator

Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Chat time?

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:12 am

Mi Piscine,

Noon Pacific sounds dandy--even better if it's on a Saturday (just not this Saturday; I've got company).

But have we got the cotton-pickin' chatroom fixed yet??

Off to drop the Aediles a line,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:24 pm

Avete Amici,

I, too agree with Horatius Piscinus' proposal of 9 pm CET, 3 pm EST, noon PST on Saturdays.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Working - sort of

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:20 am

Salvete

Ti. Coruncanius wrote:Then, I got logged off automatically by the chatroom and when I tried to log back in, the room informed me that my name was still in use. I'm not sure if that is similar to the 500 level error that Aldus Marius has seen. .

It takes some time to catch on that you aren't there. Just log back in with a different name.

So tomorrow, this Saturday? About 2PM for you Coruncani. I'll try to drop in
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Working - sort of

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:09 pm

Horatius Piscinus wrote:So tomorrow, this Saturday? About 2PM for you Coruncani. I'll try to drop in

I'm away tonight :(
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:24 pm

I'll try to drop by this evening.

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Chat - Saturdays. 9PM Central Europe, 3PM EST, 12 Noon PST

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:35 pm

Salvete sodales -

I missed the beginning of this thread, only finding it now.

Will another chat session go forward this Saturday, Febr. 26, 2005? Never having "chatted" on line before, but having always been so pleased with the people I find here, I will certainly try to connect at that hour.

Valete omnes.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:42 am

Salve

Oh, I missed it. My 'puter was down for repairs today. But next Saturday is a holiday! One I always celebrate. So maybe I'll catch you then. :wink:
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:56 am

I know it's not really related to SVR, but I am an op at the EFNet channel #latin. It gets interesting in there sometimes. Thought I'd let those who cared know.

Respectfully submitted, in fide,

Scerio
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Next

Return to General