The Roman Republic

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

The Roman Republic

Postby Anonymous on Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:44 am

Salvete

Recently, I have been engaged in an unsuccesful search for some good reading material on the Roman Republic (All I could find were a few textbooks and a plethora of books on"Caesar, Antony, and Cleopatra", of which I have plenty). I am very curious as to what you, the Societas, would suggest and/or what primary source, such as Livy or Appian you would suggest?

This also happens to be my first post here, greetings to you all, I hope to have many pleasant conversations.
Anonymous

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:48 am

Salve Publi Flore

All good recommendations by Tiberius Coruncanius. I often rely on Cornell's Beginnings as a quick reference. I might add Michael Crawford's The Roman Republic as an over view of the Republic; brief but valuable. Most of the better books on the Republic concern its end. One standard would be Party Politics in the Age of Caesar by Lily Ross Taylor, another being The Roman Revolution by Ronald Syme. But for balance try Erich Gruen's The Last Generation of the Roman Republic and a little book for questioning the arguments of the standards, Rome in the Late Republic by Mary Beard and Michael Crawford. The other era most often covered is that of the Punic Wars, many books out there. I have yet to find a good read on the era of the Gracchi. More of interest to me is the Era of the Samnite wars, Livy being the one main source, and a fairly good criticism of Livy's account is found in Samnium and the Samnites by E. T. Salmon.

Oh, and welcome to SVR!

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Reading your way into the Republic

Postby Anonymous on Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:08 pm

Salve Publi Flore!

I still remember the first book about the Republic that I could not put down.

It is Elizabeth Rawson's biography of Cicero. She writes stylishly and gives a balanced, humane and temperate appraisal of Marcus Tullius. If you fall into the habit of reading biographies as a road into various historical periods, finding your way into the Republic with Rawson as a your companion will be wonderful.

Later, you may want to pick up these books by Fergus Millar: The Crowd in Rome in the Late Republic, Michigan University Press, 1998; The Roman Republic and the Augustan Revolution, University of North Carolina Press, 2002. Millar introduces the political and civic life of the Republican forum in a manner that helps you experience it.

By the way, this is also my first post here, and I look forward to finding time to participate often. But I have to say that I'm humbled by all of the knowledge right at everybody's fingertips here!

Vale
Anonymous

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:42 am

Salve Marce Rufe

Welcome to you too then.

No need for you to feel humble among us. While opinionated, all of us in SVR recognize we are only students and dilletantes. I know some things I've posted here I wish now to redo as I have come to learn more. Posting here is part of a learning process. We would like to hear from you on what you are reading, what your thoughts are on various subjects, and see too how over time your opinions may develop. We look forward to seeing your posts and participation in SVR.

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:52 am

Salve,

Well, I can suggest a few sources. How about the letters and writings of Cicero? The 'Lives' of Plutarch (the Penguin books 'Makers of Rome' and 'The Fall of the Roman Republic' may be useful. The entries in Suetonius' 'Twelve Caesars' on Julius Caesar and Augustus might help, as well as Caesar's Gallic and Civil Wars. Cassius Dio's first books on Augustus are useful, as well as Sallust's 'The Jugurthine War' and 'The Conspiracy of Cataline'. Those are some good ancient sources for you.

Hope they help at least a bit.

Vale bene,

Marcus Ulpius Trajanus
Anonymous

Return to Collegium Historicum