Salve et Valete

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Salve et Valete

Postby Anonymous on Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:33 pm

Hello, I am another new American, from Rhode Island in New England.

I am interested in both Roman and British Literature, hence my name.

Since it's been 40 years since I studied Latin, I am seriously considering a return to school to restore my capabilities.

Marcus Rubicundus Britannicus
Anonymous

Postby Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus on Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:50 pm

Salve Marce! Si vales, bene est.
Welcome aboard.
I'm 30, from PA, and never had the chance to study Latin. But I'm trying.
Good luck with your studies.
Vale bene!
NOX EST PERPETVA VNA DORMIENDA
Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus
Eques
Eques

Re: Salve et Valete

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:56 pm

Salve Marce Britanne

Indeed, welcome to SVR.

Marcus Rubicundus Britann wrote:Since it's been 40 years since I studied Latin, I am seriously considering a return to school to restore my capabilities.

It has been 35 years for me since I last had instruction in Latin, and although I have tried to get back to studying it on my own, I lack the discipline a classroom situation would offer. I continue to read in Latin, with much difficulty, and translate passages as best I can, but I think I still lack something by not going back to formal classes. Bonam Fortunam.

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:19 am

Salve Britannice,

Welcome to the SVR. Good luck on re-learning Latin. If you have any questions, feel free to post them on the collegium Latinum forum and check out the limited study material on our site.

Vale bene,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:55 pm

Salve Marce,

Another Britannicus! Good to see you join us! I have no Latin skills whatsoever, I just tend to bluff my way through a statement and wait for Draco, our resident Latin Inquisition, to correct me. You might like to try the same if you're unsure of the finer grammatical points. :lol:

Hoping you enjoy it here,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:55 pm

I certainly am gratified by the warm welcome everyone has shown. I am hoping to take Beginning Latin in September. I happened to look at a quotation the other week, and it seemed total gibberish. At that moment,
I felt I needed to start fresh. I did do some work with the language 20 years ago for my MA, but what was dimly remembered then is gone now.

In fact, the only thing I retain at the moment is my church Latin pronunciation. I wonder how common that might be?
Anonymous

Return to Introductions