Etrurian art in China

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Etrurian art in China

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:19 pm

Salvete omnes

This might seem a bit strange a topic, but nevertheless, I thought I might share this with you.

As some of you know, I have recently spent a month in China, mainly in Shanghai.
When I visited Shanghai Museum, there was a temporary exhibition about Etrurian art and civilisation, in cooperation with a museum in Firenze. It was a very interesting visit for me, with a lot of beautifull art pieces at display.

So you see that even in China, a country that has a formidable cultural heritage itself, there is interest in the (pre) roman civilisation.
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:02 pm

That's interesting indeed.

It goes to show how globalised the world has really become! One might expect exhibitions on Roman or Greek art but Etruscan art in China? That's really amazing stuff. Certainly, secretly being somewhat Etruscan I give the Shanghai Museum up in this matter ;).

If you wish to tell us about your trip to China, please feel free to do so, perhaps in the general forum or on the Belgica board.

Vale!
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:21 pm

Salve

Would I tell you something about my trip to China.... sure. problem is, I dunno where to start, it 'll have to sink in a bit first. But I will try

But in general, I can say that it was an inspiring experience to visit the middle realm, and Shanghai, well... I might have found a second home. (which worries my mother, actually) :roll:

Some highlights of my journey, then.

payed a visit to Mao and the Forbidden City in Beijing

I pitted my Golden Hordes against the terra cotta army at Xi'an. Impressive to know that there are 8000, and none are alike. The day after I left the city, there was a big bombing in town (muslim minority).
Was I glad that they only saw my back!

Huangshan, or the Yellow Mountains... although now I am allergic to stairs, it was worht it. magnificent views, with poetic names such as 'Monkey gazing at the north sea'

Jin Mao tower in Shanghai, third largest building in the world.

attending the traditional wedding of two of my best friends, one chinese, one belgian.

Encountered two thieves in the sleeper train

a bus driver tried to kill me in the middle of People Square :shock:

That 's not all, but it'll have to suffice, my friends.

One final remark. From the above, one could say that I only saw tourist China, but lett me assure you, I have seen the countryside,the poverty, as well...

Vale bene
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:32 am

I have only limited experience in China (one week in Shanghai on a university study trip in 2000), but one thing that struck me was the proximity of the inequalities of which Mencius wrote. The most prosperous and glitzy part of Shanghai is next to a neighborhood of poor, overcrowded tenements. There is no transition zone. I am used to seeing this juxtaposition in Latin America, but did not expect it in China.

Back to antiquity: when I read the the title of Mencius' post, I thought that Etruscan antiquities had been found in China. We know that the Romans bought Chinese silk through intermediaries. Does anyone know whether any Roman objects, apart from coins which seem to end up everywhere (even in North America), have turned up in China?

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum