A project

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

A project

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:56 pm

Salvete Historici!

I would like to start an easy project: a collection of as many Roman historical sites as possible.

In concreto, I am searching for people from various European countries who would like to make a list of archaeological Roman sites in their environment or country. Or people who know a lot about a certain country, or who like to do a thorough search through books and internet for these archaeological sites.

As an example of how it can be done, I have prepared following small list of some sites in my own environment (Flanders, Belgium):

----------
1. MALDEGEM - Remains of ancient Roman fort
2. TONGEREN - Ancient Roman town (Atuatuca Tungrorum); http://www.tongeren.be
3. VELZEKE - Ancient Roman 'vicus' (small village)
----------

This list can be elaborated with books and/or internet sites available on the various sites.

Anyone who is interested to cooperate on this little project, please send me an email (pudionmus@yahoo.com). Please include which part of the Roman world you would like to cover in this project. I will then announce all who are cooperating, and post more information on how we will proceed on this project.

I hope many of our members will take part in this fairly easy project!!

Valete bene
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:21 pm

Salve Mus!

What? Europeans only? Perhaps you hadn't heard about the hoard of Roman coins found in Ohio http://www.econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch ... allsoh.htm

Another hoard found up river in Kentucky, too. Perhaps some Romans marching through our valley? Still looking for their castra.

Then there's that burial site in Mexico
http://www.econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch/calix.htm

http://www.unm.edu/~rhristov/Romanhead.html

There's another story of a Roman merchant ship reaching the west. I haven't found a site for that one. And what about that imperial outpost in British Columbia? :?

Vale
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

project

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Sun Oct 13, 2002 6:21 pm

Salve Marce!

Ooops... :oops:

Perhaps I should have said 'mostly' Europeans...

Of course everyone may participate in this project! But I guess there are not many members outside Europe an North Africa / Asia Minor who live near to ancient Roman sites.

Everyone is welcome to add to this project!

Valete bene
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

One More in the New World...

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:26 am

Salvete amici!

Dunno about living near an 'ancient Roman site', but depending on how one defines 'ancient', I may have created one...

I was on Napili Beach, Maui, Hawai'i when I lost my medallion of Hadrian. It was of yellow-bronze, had the Wandering Emperor's portrait and titles on the front, and on the reverse was the Goddess Spes (Hope) lifting up Her skirts ever-so-slightly, thereby encouraging the troops on the Wall (or somewhere) to exercise Her Virtue, at least around their girlfriends.
>({|;-P [Roman winky-smiley]

The coin is ancient, as is the land that holds it. The deposition, otoh, occurred on 28 Jul 99, not ancient at all except to your typical (I said typical; that doesn't mean anybody here!) American with the 20-minute attention-span.

So if some flame-broiled idiot with a metal-detector hasn't made off with it by now, why, it is still waiting in the white sand for a chance to confuse the heck out of some poor archaeologists in a couple-grand more years...

[the Wanderer sits back and smiles, obviously enjoying the prospect.]

In amicitia et fides,[/i]
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Roman archeological sites in East Flanders

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sun Oct 20, 2002 7:13 pm

Salve Mus,

As far as I know, I think you can add Asper (Gavere) and Ruien (Kluisbergen) to the list of archeological sites in our region.

Vale,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:35 pm

Salve Attice,

Asper, where I live, was indeed a place where there have always been settlements, because the river Schelde (Scaldis) could easier be crossed around here than a few miles more up or down the stream. However, the main part of what was excavated from the infamous " 't jollenveld" is Merovingian, though quite interesting as well.

A lot of tools were found, as well as some grave gifts, such as a stunning necklace, consisting of over 100 small gems. Professor F. Vermeulen, who was in charge of the excavations, believes there's still plenty more to be found as they have only dug up a certain area of the place where the houses used to stand. However, pragmatic as we are over here, that other part is, until this day, covered with corn. (hmm, I'm thinking about searching me ol' shovel again ;-) )

Vale bene
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Return to Collegium Historicum