End of the Year; Call for Officers

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

End of the Year; Call for Officers

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:08 am

Salvete, Sodales -

Quirites, the year draws to a close and our Regula require that officers be elected this month. I am issuing a call, then, requesting that Sodales stand for office. Per the Regula, we need at least three Curators; the terms of the current three expire at the end of this December.

I have to say, the requirements of being a Curator are not heavy, nor do they require any scholarship or past distinctions here in the SVR. What's required is checking in on the Forum, communicating as needed with the other Curators and the Aediles, and attending to matters as they come up. (And, truth be told, it has been a very quiet Forum for some time.)

Bold or shy, busy or bookish, any Sodalis with good will and respect for our Society can stand for office and be a Curator. I, for one -- nor do I recall there being any impediment to it in the Regula -- will stand for re-election. How about some of the other 90-odd Sodales? As I've said, it should not be a burden of any consequence, and your willingness to help out and govern as needed will be appreciated. Sodales who are members of other organizations, NR or UNRV or whatever, can serve here without any problem.

Respondite, Sodales, atque Valete.

ante diem VII Idus Decembres [C], AUC 2762 (12/7/2009).
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Re: End of the Year; Call for Officers

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:16 am

Salvete,

I'm very sorry I haven't been any help over the past four months. I have had numerous medical problems during that time. My problems are a Deep Vein Thrombosis (i.e. a blood clot) in my leg and having to start taking Insulin for my T2 diabetes.
I have been off work for almost four months also. I will not be standing for Curator again. I'm hoping to return to work after the first of the year.
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Censor, Curator
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Salve, Quinte Prisce -

Good to hear from you, even if there're a lot of negative things still going on in your life. You've more than earned a rest from responsibilities, having minded the SVR's mail & censor's office pretty much single-handed for two years. Pro diligentia tua, multas gratias ago. In trying to take over those chores, I hope I do as well as you did.

Recupera atque bene valesce, Curator. >({|:-)
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:15 pm

I just want to let you know that I read this thread but that I won't apply for a candidature as officer. I once had an office here and couldn't fulfill it due to me being too busy outside the virtual world. This hasn't changed and indeed is increasing as things are going on with my gladiator group trying to get gigs and organizing training camps etc.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:04 pm

Val. Claud. Ioh. Cleopatrae Aeliae s.p.d.

Thanks, Cleo, for the note.

And good luck with the coming year's gladiatorial gigs.

Bene vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:50 am

Salvete Omnes,

Activity including my own being pretty low, I won't be seeking another term. But I'll be looking in and seeing what is going on!

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:40 pm

Salve, Paule -
Do look in at least, and thanks for the note. Bene vale.

Quirites omnes -

Today is the 30th of December, and the almost complete silence in terms of responses to my call is fairly deafening. As I said, it's not a great burden. If the Societas Via Romana matters to you, step up and volunteer to help us through another year. It really is not a burden; the Curator's job is mostly to be here, to care for things, to make some decisions, to place questions before the membership, to back one another up as needed (nothing technical or burdensome), and so on. 8)

It's indeed a sad commentary on our membership if it lacks the desire to support itself! :cry: So please, step forward, post here or private message me, and lend yourself to this independent enterprise for a while.

In spe,
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Re: Call for Officers

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:57 pm

Salve, mi Iohanne, et Salvete omnes...

For any of you who may be considering putting in for a Curatorship, but are unsure what the job entails, here's a rundown:

The Regula itself, vague as it is, does list some specific duties and responsibilities of the Societas' "officers". They are, of course, elected by the Comitia; they serve for a two-year term. They are basically charged with:

- establishing the administrative procedures of the Societas;
- proposing policies for the Societas;
- overseeing elections held in the Comitia;
- maintaining the SVR Forum and the website;
- moderating the Forum;
- maintaining the Album Sodalium;
- conducting the biennial census;
- managing relations with persons and entities outside the Societas;
- and granting honorary titles or other forms of recognition to members and others.

No one Curator is expected to know how to do all of these things; that's why they have each other. The Curia is like any other workplace in that we (I'm not an elected Curator, but as site admin I do have a seat in the Curia) divide the workload according to each Curator's interest and talents. Quintus Servilius, like his predecessor Cleopatra Aelia, is a better communicator and "people-person" than I am (you *all* are, trust me!), so he has handled the bulk of the "customer contact" work. Someone else might have a head for procedure; I have a head for tech stuff. We balance each other out. Each set of Curatores will come up with the division of labor that works best for their team. And of course they can always tap a gifted Sodalis, as we did Quintus Valerius and Publius Nonius during my hitch.

When we've talked about the Societas as a whole, we have tended to focus on technical issues. I've been trying to get us beyond that; what the SVR needs most for the next couple of years is energy and ideas. The Regula left it up to all of us, Curia and Comitia alike, to determine the Societas' procedures and policies. The Curia can make decrees; any Sodalis with an idea can put it through as a rogatio. Think this place could be more flavorful, more Roman? Want to point us in a new direction, or revive something that you feel we've lost? --Let's hear those proposals; and, for Pete's sake, let's see some candidates.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Salvete Romani,

I'll stand for Curator. For those of you that don't know me, I'm one of the earlier members of the Societas (but not a founder). Under the old constitution I served as Praetor and Consul. I was also an officer on the board that proposed the new and present constitution and was then Curator. You have not seen me recently because of the press of real life. Now those pressures have abated a bit, and I would like to become active in the Societas again.

Vobis gratias ago,

Timavus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Salvete, et Timave et Quirites -

An excellent bit of good year news; that makes two toward our necessary Tres Curatores. Thanks, Timave.

Can any of our other busy friends out there raise their heads and signal, "Aye"?

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:16 pm

Salvete Omnes,

As I said before I will not be standing for another term as Curator. That said, my health has greatly improved over the last few weeks. My Doc is happy about it and I should be able to return to limited duty around the second week of this month. I can now walk almost normal now (which I like) and I've put my cane in the closet hopefully to gather a LOT of dust.

Valete,
Censor, Curator
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:35 am

Salve, Prisce - Gratias Diis pro hoc - at least SOMEONE is on the upswing! Glad to hear you're getting mobile.

Vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:05 am

Salvete omnes,

I hereby announce my candidacy for Curator. I have had experience maintaining the forum back when we were still phpBB2 and am willing to serve the Societas once more.

Valete bene,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:57 am

Gratias tibi, mi Tiberii -

We now have at least three people willing to serve.

Quirites - ONCE MORE, in this January interregnum in which we find ourselves, I WILL ASK for sodales to stand forth and offer themselves for election as Curatores of the Societas.

Technically, my term expired, I am no longer an officer myself, and whatever authority there is in the SVR has come to rest once more in the Comita, the gathering of sodales. So, as a Civis and Sodalis, I propose that we have elections starting this coming Friday, both (a) to give the incoming Curators their authority and also (b) as a test of who among our sodales is actually involved to any degree in the quiescent Society's affairs.

Please, SOMEONE, either shout me down or second my proposal. >({|:-)

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:11 am

I'll second.
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Hear Me Roar

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:30 am

...and I'll shout.

Better? >({|;-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:26 pm

... as long as you're shouting me UP!
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Re: Hear Me Roar

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:33 am

Ave, amice Iohanne,

But of course i am--we all know hot air rises! >({|:-D >({|:-D >({|:-D >({|;-]

Bein' a Silly,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 am

Quirites -

My proposal having been seconded, and the election being more a question of volunteers than opposing parties, I am going to make a couple of more proposals here. I'm being legalistic "out of an abundance of caution", as the lawyers say, but all Sodales in good standing, please take just a minute & read these.

If anyone objects to these proposals, they should speak up. I am going to take silence as further agreement and support.

1. Unless someone objects heartily - Marius and I will oversee the elections.

2. Unless someone objects heartily, the Election period will begin at this time:
Noon in Rome, 12:00 hours, Friday Jan. 8, 2010 (a.d.IV Idus Ian., 2763 AUC).
(Brussels, same hour; California, 03:00 hours, same day.)

3. Since we've already missed our proper election dates and participation is at a very low ebb, I propose we should let the elections run for a number of days, closing the polls on that same hour (noon in Rome) on Wednesday Jan 13, 2010, the Ides of January. Again, unless someone objects heartily.

Let me know, fellow Sodales.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Competing Proposal

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:05 am

Salvete Romani,

I have another idea: We could skip the formality (and the embarrassment of our new Curatores being elected by, say, four people out of 91) and simply declare that the first three-to-seven people to request a Curatorship may have it almost for the asking.

I say "almost" because I'd like to see statements from all applicants for the post as to their ideas for where they'd like to take the Societas in the next couple of years, if we last that long. The better-behaved candidates have always submitted such statements to the Comitia, and I'd like to see that become the usual custom.

It's rather important this year. I did say "if we last that long" for a reason. Our Web host is getting out of the hosting business, finding his income and his satisfaction much improved since he shifted his focus to programming Web applications. What that means for you and me is that, sometime in the next several months, we are going to be evicted from his server. Now, before I go through the process of migrating (again) and transferring (again) and renewing our domain-name (again), and--oh yeah--having to pay for hosting now (ita, Octavius was housing us for free), I'd like to know for sure that this is going to be worth it, and that I won't be backing up and moving over 1500 pages just so the same dozen people can sit in another Forum and blink at each other, silently.

So...serve 'em up, candidati. Let's hear those ideas. Tell Marius why it's still gonna be worth it in a couple of years.
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Next

Return to Comitia