Salvete!

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Salvete!

Postby Nephele on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:31 am

Salvete and felicitations to all here! I'm Nephele, a moderator at UNRV.com. Ursus has been talking up Societas Via Romana over at UNRV, saying a lot of great things about y'all, so I thought I'd stop by and give you a hail.

I have a fascination for onomastics, and Roman nomenclature is one of my big interests when it comes to Rome and her society.

I'm also an obsessive anagrammatist, and I have a thread going over at UNRV in which I can find your "Hidden Roman Name" through the art of anagramming and blanagramming. If anyone here is curious as to what your hidden Roman name might be, you're welcome to post a scramble of your name over in that thread:

Your Hidden Roman Name

You'll need to register an account at UNRV, in order to post.

Now I think I'll have a look around here!

-- Nephele
Nephele
Socius
Socius

Re: Salve Nephele!

Postby Formosus Viriustus on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:03 am

Welcome to SVR !

I have just discovered UNRV thanks to L. Ovidius Ursus. I do like your site very much, so felicitations are due there too, I think. It seems like you guys are very much on the same wave lenght as us, if I may be so bold as to speak for my fellow citizens here.
I have already seen a few familiar faces over there, so.
But I was particularly fascinated by what you manage to do with anagrams and what you call blanagrams. Excellent stuff ! ::bows down::
Can't resist that.
I was just about to register at your site, when I switched back over here to check up on something, and lo and behold ! There you are. If that isn't a sign, I don't know what is.
So I'm looking forward to what you can come up with for me, and of course, to seeing you over here from time to time maybe !
Formosus Viriustus

Re: Salvete!

Postby Q Valerius on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:39 am

-
Last edited by Q Valerius on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Re: Salve Nephele!

Postby Nephele on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:36 pm

Formosus Viriustus wrote:Welcome to SVR !

I have just discovered UNRV thanks to L. Ovidius Ursus. I do like your site very much, so felicitations are due there too, I think. It seems like you guys are very much on the same wave lenght as us, if I may be so bold as to speak for my fellow citizens here.
I have already seen a few familiar faces over there, so.
But I was particularly fascinated by what you manage to do with anagrams and what you call blanagrams. Excellent stuff ! ::bows down::
Can't resist that.
I was just about to register at your site, when I switched back over here to check up on something, and lo and behold ! There you are. If that isn't a sign, I don't know what is.
So I'm looking forward to what you can come up with for me, and of course, to seeing you over here from time to time maybe !

Thank you for your greeting, Formosus Viriustus! I've blanagrammed your "hidden Roman name" for you over at UNRV. I see that our member Aurelia is a neighbor of yours, too! Looking forward to conversing with you -- both at UNRV and over here!

-- Nephele
Nephele
Socius
Socius

Postby Formosus Viriustus on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:12 pm

Salvete Omnes,

Q Valerius wrote:UNRV here? Now I have even more reason to leave. UNRV banned me because I upset one of their precious forum "scholars", or rather, pseudo-scholar. Ugh. Sorry to rant, I bet you weren't a moderator then. So no ill-will to you. But The Bear was.

I'm sorry if your experiences with UNRV are not all that positive, QV, but I feel I have to stand up for my new friends here. What you say doesn't correspond at all with my limited experience so far. Maybe it was the tone you used ?

And our newest member, Nephele, is not only a fun girl, but a True Genius with names and words. And not just that. Check out her work at UNRV. You'll be amazed.
And despite her youthful looks and tender age (2) she is not a mean scholar either. But who am I to judge that, hè ?
Formosus Viriustus

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Salve Nephele,

Got your PM at UNRV but am not into that much into those type of games. Thanks anyhow.

Enjoy our little community over here.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Nephele on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:09 pm

Aw, thanks for the kind words, Formosus! You're a lot of fun, too!

Hi, Cleopatra Aelia! I answered your question over on UNRV regarding our reenactment forum. I'll look around here on this board, to see whether you've already posted about your gladiatrix reenactments. Sounds very interesting!

-- Nephele
Nephele
Socius
Socius

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:56 am

Salvete, Sodales -

Quintus Valerius's rant against the UNRV was uncalled for. And I'm sure the folk at the UNRV have a different story to tell, in any event.

Nephele, I'm sorry you had to bear the brunt of his resentment and I apologize for his outburst.

Valete.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Nephele on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:09 am

Valerius Claudius Iohanes wrote:Salvete, Sodales -

Quintus Valerius's rant against the UNRV was uncalled for. And I'm sure the folk at the UNRV have a different story to tell, in any event.

Nephele, I'm sorry you had to bear the brunt of his resentment and I apologize for his outburst.

Valete.

Thank you, Valerius Claudius Iohanes. You're a true gentleman.

-- Nephele
Nephele
Socius
Socius

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:19 am

Hi Nephele,

I am almost afraid to ask, but what are anagramming and blanagramming?

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Nephele on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:28 am

Marcus Lupinius Paulus wrote:Hi Nephele,

I am almost afraid to ask, but what are anagramming and blanagramming?

Paulus

Hi, Paulus! Anagramming and blanagramming are the re-arrangement of letters to produce something new -- in this case, a Roman name from one's actual name. Anagramming is an art that goes back to ancient times, and was used in Kabbalah, as well. Sometimes the results can be surprising. ;)

-- Nephele
Nephele
Socius
Socius

Re: Anagramming and Blanagramming

Postby Formosus Viriustus on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:05 am

Hey, Nephele !

But you still haven't explained where 'Blanagramming' comes from. Is that your own invention ?
And glad you like 'Mundungus' too. I have a weakness for those kind of things myself.
(Formosus lights another one. :wink: )

Vale Optime !

Spurius Sempronius Formosus
a.k.a. Formosus Viriustus
a.k.a. S. Furious Stormius V
a.k.a. D. Nerius Mergus Harpifer
a.k.a. Herr Demiurge Painefyre (yes, I have become a New Goth too.)
(see what I mean, guys ?)
Formosus Viriustus

Re: Anagramming and Blanagramming

Postby Nephele on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm

Formosus Viriustus wrote:[color=#008080]Hey, Nephele !

But you still haven't explained where 'Blanagramming' comes from.

Oops! :lol: Okay, I'll explain. No, blanagramming isn't my own invention. A "blanagram" is like an anagram except one letter has been exchanged for another, like using a blank tile in the game of Scrabble. In fact, the word "blanagram" is a portmanteau word of "blank" and "anagram."

I cheat a little bit with my own blanagrams, in that I may exchange more than one letter when blanagramming a Roman name. That's because a masculine Roman name generally has to have the letters "i," "u," and "s" in it, and a feminine Roman name generally requires a couple of "a's." Plus, if a person's actual name has letters in it that weren't used in the classical Latin alphabet (such as "j" or "w"), then I'll exchange those letters for more likely ones.

I base my resulting Roman names on actual praenomina, nomina gentilicia, and cognomina that can be verified by Broughton's Magistrates of the Roman Republic, Kajanto's The Latin Cognomina, and other scholarly sources.

Those examples you gave of what I did with your name, Formosus, only include one such blanagram. The rest (as in the Asterix-style "Furious Stormius") were just goofy fun. :D

-- Nephele
Nephele
Socius
Socius

Re: Blaming Ragman Nephele ?

Postby Formosus Viriustus on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:05 pm

Salve Nephele,

Thanks for the expo.
Yes,I should point out here that your Roman (bl)anagrams are well researched, but some of us here like the goofy stuff just as much.

Vale bene et nil desperandum,

Smorfius Virtuosus
8)
Formosus Viriustus

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:25 pm

Salve Nephele,

My introduction you will find here (if you haven't done so already :) )
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1453

And here's my thread about female gladiators:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1408
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Introductions