Improving SVR's Visibility

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Improving SVR's Visibility

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:39 pm

Salvete Sodales,

I ran across a website that purports to grade websites on their visibility and to suggest ways to improve a website's prominence. I decided to see how SVR fared. The results are available through this link:

http://www.websitegrader.com/DesktopMod ... -2007.html

Since I'm not a techie, I don't understand all of the report, but it seems that there are some fairly simple things that we can do to improve our site's visibility. Some of them, such as including metadata, can be done at the webmaster level, but the rest of us can contribute by highlighting SVR at social ranking sites such as Digg, StumbleUpon, Technorati, and Delicious. If you are a user of one of these pages, please index SVR's homepage and rate it highly. Our Societas welcomes new blood, but prospective sodales need to find us in order to join.

Vobis gratias ago,

Timavus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Adverts

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:26 am

Avete omnes!

This is a sound suggestion, as is Nonius Severus' earlier one of linking to our site content (the essays, Roman calendar and such) on Wikipedia pages. Of course, face-to-face and word-of-mouth are always live options, too...and I think the folks we get that way tend to actually stick around and do something. >({|:-)

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:33 pm

Salvete Sodales

I have received an offer from Internet Corporation Listing Service to promote our site. Subscription costs $35 US per year. Subscription includes

"Domain name submission to 14 established search engines, quarterly search engine position and ranking reports for eight keyword/phrase listings from 14 major search engines."

The website is http://www.icls.net

[Webmaster's Note: This ended up being a bogus service. Blecch; we didn't need that kind of help.]

While we are on this subject. I wish to bring up an aspect of SVR of which all Sodales should be aware. The cost of maintaining SVR is not much, it is just a matter of who shall pay when costs arise. When we moved to iPower Locatus was gracious enough to pay the fees. Then, to keep the site up after a disruption when our iPower contract expired, initially I paid the cost and then Tergestus and other members of the Curia contributed. When we moved to Cynico Marius paid for the new domain name (I think it was about $35 US), and then Marius covered a quarter of our annual subscription and I the other three-fourths on a total of $120 US. SVR is a volunteer organization. We depend on our Sodales to contribute material for our website, of which we could use some more. We have also relied on Sodales contributing in other ways, whether it is a little work or, at times, towards the cost of keeping SVR running. While our boards have remained generally open to others, remember that to be a Sodalis requires that you do contribute in some way to SVR. What we ask most is that you contribute time and effort, and this would include in promoting SVR to others.

Valete optime et vadete in pace Deorum
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:46 pm

Since I now have a steady income, I would be able to contribute a little bit in SVR's maintenance costs.

As for time, I do not have much, but I intend on restarting the Ludi Societatis and see if there's any interest in it.
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

*nods*

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:06 am

Hic Gnaeus Draco:

> ...I intend on restarting the Ludi Societatis and see if there's any interest in it.

Y digo yo...

IO! I would very much like to see the races in action again! But you'd best avoid the beast-hunts; my Pax Viridis factio still lurks in the corridors, ready to carve our lupine initials in materials much softer than stone. <feg>

Mi Iohanne, your sensible request got ported along with its firstfruits: There is now a Comitia --> Aerarium Societatis topic.

Let the Games (of all sorts) Begin!....well, as soon as we're organized. >({(;-)

In amicitia et fide,
Last edited by Aldus Marius on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Internet listing service

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:09 pm

Salvete, amici Romani!

> I have received an offer from Internet Corporation Listing Service to promote our site...

I have since received information that this service, like many others of its kind, is a scam. Not that I was going for it anyway. This may sound retro, but I've never been into popularity for its own sake. I prefer making ourselves known directly to like-minded others, face-to-face if possible, by word of mouth otherwise. I think prospective members who find us by such means are more likely to stick around, and even contribute, than people who just tripped over us on their way to a virtual nail salon.

The last time I had access to the site stats, we had no shortage of visitors. Quite a few of them searched for us by name; many others got here riding search-terms such as "Roman culture", "Roman civilisation", and "Religio Romana". They get referred to the site from the Board, and the Board to the site, in roughly equal numbers; these numbers far exceed 2004's, which many Sodales consider our peak year for manpower and participation. (Now all we have to do is get 'em in the door and doing things...)

We are plenty visible to the folks who could most benefit, and benefit from, the Societas Via Romana. I can hardly see paying someone else to make a Great Big Noisy Fuss on our behalf. We are Romans. We can make plenty of Noise on our own. >({|;-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:32 pm

Salve Mari,

Couldn't agree more with what you said. Besides, I doubt a lot of those advertisements actually help because a lot of people I know have AdBlock installed.

I installed it only recently and being able to visit sites without all the annoying promotions, banners, etc... was very enjoyable.

Nay to advertisements, yay to visitors!

Vale optime,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Shoemaker's Elf

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:29 pm

Salvete, amici Romani!

Noster Timavus supra scripsit:

> ...it seems that there are some fairly simple things that we can do to improve our site's visibility. Some of them, such as including metadata, can be done at the webmaster level...

Dunno about metadata, but I'm good for page titles and "ALT" tags for the images. "Titles" are what you see in the title bar of your browser window. An ALT tag is a short text description of the image that, in some browsers, pops up when you hover the cursor over the image. Text-only browsers and voice-reading software can 'see' them. Search engines can too. The Outpost has 'em; the SVR site did not...until this morning.

Done so far:

- Site Index (the main page)
- Major section indices: FAQ, Chat, Members, Regulae, Contact
- All Member pages
- All Regula pages

The Collegia section is a project unto itself; it and its subpages have by far the most illustrations. They're next.

"Titles and ALT tags, mi Mari? That's it??"

Several months ago I did the Webalyzer analysis on the SVR site, and then (just for kicks and grins) did one on the Outpost too. I was shocked by the results: The SVR site was visible to only 20% of potential visitors and their search engines; the Outpost, 80%.

I could just hear the cries: "You've been holding out on us, Mari!" Mortified, I tore at my hair and rent my garments, and sat in a heap of ashes for several days while meditating upon the following conundrum: What am I doing for the Outpost that I'm not doing for the Societas?? The Outpost is far, far from being a Web-code showcase, unless your HTML museum has a Neolithic wing. But it does have descriptive page titles and alt tags for the pics. I guess that's the difference between inheriting a site and building one up from scratch. So--I'm bringing our humble Pages up to frontier milspec.

See? --I haven't forgotten about ya's. >({|:-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:31 am

Tibi Gratias Ago, Mari!!!
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

So Far...

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:37 am

Heh heh...We're up to 35% already! <bg>

-- The Mighty Mar'
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

More Progress

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:16 am

Salvete, amici Romani!

Well, I've been hammering away at our titles-and-image-tags project for a couple of months now. I'm massaging the Collegia pages now; CollHist is done, and I just started CollArt. (The images I've added myself are already ALT-tagged, saving me a heck of a lot of work this go-'round.)

I am pleased to report that our site ranking has risen from 20 a couple of months ago to 39 now. We're catching up with the Outpost, which pulls a rating of 45 on its current server this month, and 15 on its yet-to-be-unveiled new domain, romanoutpost.org (hosted by noster Octavius, natch!).

Interested Ubergeeks may grok the whole report at http://www.websitegrader.com/wsgid/1439134/default.aspx

Workin' on it...! >({|8-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Cives Romani Webring

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:41 am

Salvete amici!

Now playing on the Cives Romani Webring: Us. >({|:-)
Also the Outpost at its new URL: http://romanoutpost.org .

Go 'head, check the SVR Index page! It's at the bottom.<bg>

In fide and back in the Ring,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Visibility: Rapidly Improving

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:53 am

Salvete, quicumque legant!

What's the SVR's visibility today...? "The answer is...42." From http://website.grader.com :

"A website grade of 42/100 for http://www.societasviaromana.net means that of the hundreds of thousands of websites that have previously been evaluated, our algorithm has calculated that this site scores higher than 42% of them in terms of its marketing effectiveness. The algorithm uses a proprietary blend of over 50 different variables, including search engine data, website structure, approximate traffic, site performance, and others."

Our ranking the last time I checked was 39/100. For comparison, Nova Roma's at 65/100, while the Outpost scored 46 at its old domain and a humble 6 on its new server. (I really need to let people know it's been moved.)

Quickie thing y'all can do: The grader counts inbound links from other sites in our favor. You can link to the SVR on your Profiles for other Roman fora and social-networking services. (Just a suggestion; I won't chuck you off the Board if you don't, promise!) >({|:-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Improving SVR's Visibility

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:09 pm

Do you have a banner ad? I can put it on my websites.
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:31 am

Marii - That image you did for the Feriae Latinae 'fridge-magnets' is a great one, if we don't have a banner in the can, ready to use. I loved that one...! Sits at my desk here at work....
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Magnets Quo...

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:34 am

Salvete omnes!

You mean this one, mi Iohanne...? [28K]

Or this one, with all the wording? [2.31M] -- (Patientia vobiscum...the file is *huge* and will take time to load!)

There's also our previous logo [40K], which only needs a little cleanup and our 'Net address changed. I can do that. >({|;-)

Quid censes, Marcella amica?
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:54 am

looks good. Needs to be small like the 3rd one.
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby UrsusofUNRV on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:14 pm

I recommend SVR to my friends, though most of them seem busy enough with whatever other sites they are already on.

As for improving visibility, I suggest loading some reviews of Roman books, movies and board games on Amazon.com, with a link that leads back to SVR.
Last edited by UrsusofUNRV on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
UrsusofUNRV
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:30 pm

I would also suggest a facebook group and a myspace page for further visibility.

and some t-shirts.
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby UrsusofUNRV on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:09 pm

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers when I say this, because it is not my intent, but as a more or less objective observer from the outside, I have to ask:

What do you guys believe in? What do you stand for? What is your purpose? What is your vision?

Reading through your threads, it doesn't really come across what you are trying to do. A lot of your membership seems bound up in Nova Roma, and a lot of the projects you mention on this Comitia page mention Nova Roman projects. And some of your threads, like the Sylla one, are basically soap opera style gossip on the underside of Nova Roma and its magistrates, which is worthy as a chuckle for a few seconds but becomes increasingly distracting and tawdry with each successful view.

Maybe you guys know where Nova Roma ends and SVR begins - but as an outsider I don't.

So I think SVR needs to ask itself exactly what it is trying to accomplish, and then go from there. Get a clear vision and work toward it. If you have a vision apart from providing a "safe refuge" from Nova Roma, I don't see it, and I think that is your visibility problem.
UrsusofUNRV
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Next

Return to Comitia