Ludi Latini

Everything related to the ludi circenses and its teams or workings, including games or contests in the Societas Via Romana. Bring on the fun!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Ludi Latini

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:53 pm

Salvete!

Coincidental with the Feriae Latinae, around the 27th of March, I hereby propose the second Ludi Circenses, the Ludi Latini. The next Ludi will be held in the beginning of May, so now's your chance to get into the mix and show yourself at the circus! Yes, I'm talking to anyone who didn't participate here. C'mon Curio, Mari, Corunciane or Romule, don't be shy ;).

For the sake of everyone's comfort, everyone who competed last time is considered participating again, unless said player announces he/she will not participate.

If you want to change your statistics, tactics or even factio (which is very traitorous, unless you are changing to Albata which would be a good thing to do ;)), you can announce it in public, pm me through the forum or send me private mail. All changes should be passed before March 26.

Will Veneta and Praesina take revenge? Will Russata manage to beat Purpurea this time? Will Aurata survive the races? Will Albata win? Or will Purpurea keep their title? It all happens in the circus!

Choose your tactics wisely!

If you need tips or more info on the rules, do not forget to check out our Ludi section on the site ;).

Valete bene,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:31 am

Salve adilis Draco

More circuses. Fine. But what about the other forms of ludi? Theatrical contests, poetry contests. Those were part of the ludi as well, and the blues and greens competed just as fiercely over such contests as they did at the races. On 21 April we celebrate the founding of Rome, and we will also be celebrating the founding of SVR in spring. Perhaps you could have our Collegium Artium sponsor artistic ludi for these as well.

Vale optime
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:39 pm

Salvete Piscine et Draco
Both suggestions are good and Piscine you make a point: what about the other Ludi? We could have a poetry, writing contest etc.. We could write something that has to do with Rome, Greece or any other province within the Empire. It could vary from historical events to religious events and myths.
valete
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:02 pm

Salvete!

Of course the eventual ambition is to not only have circenses but also gladiatorial combats, venationes and cultural contests. However, that is a little up to the rectores. I personally feel that right now we don't immediately have the "manpower" to increase the grandeur of our ludi, but it's a good idea for the future.

Valete,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Venationes?

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:02 am

I'd just as soon leave the venationes out of it; I see nothing to emulate in having so-called "hunters" take pot-shots at animals trapped in an arena. About the one thing I agree with Tully the Chick-pea on is that it is not my idea of a good time to reenact men and beasts, or beasts and other beasts, tearing each other apart. As well release thirty rats in a pit and sic my terrier on them; it's just as sporting.

I thought the Regula specifically renounced animal sacrifice...? --I seem to recall gladiatorial contasts of all stripes having originally posessed a religious nature.

As to chariot races...the last batch were fun; and I believe I did very well in my current role as enthusiastic spectator, so I'll stick to it, if my good Draco doesn't mind. >({|:-)

In fides (and a big soft mushy spot for the four-leggers and anything with wings),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:21 pm

Salvete!

Our friend Draco has asked me to pass a message concerning the next Ludi. Since he is unable to reach his computer before the weekend, the Ludi will take place on Saturday 29th, and not on the 27th as announced first.

Valete bene
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:35 pm

Avete,

I was just wondering if everyone from the last chariot races is particpating again? Because it seems that it has been forgotten that there are already a second ludi.

I am participating for sure, but if nobody else showes up, I'll just have to be declared winner. But of course, even when somebody else would turn up, I'd still win :wink:

Valete,

Tiberius Dionysius Draco (busy training his charioteer Maximus)
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:19 pm

Salve mi Tiberi,

Every racer is considered re-subscribed unless he or she has explicitly stated his/her retraction from the Ludi. Easy as that ;).

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

LUDI LATINI report

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:38 pm

LUDI LATINI!!!

The first round of the Ludi Latini are, like the first round of the Ludi Primi, extremely violent once again. At the start we see two Whites, two Golden racers and one Red. Callidus, who came second in the last edition, comes on strong immediately. His quick pace is matched only by the speedy acceleration of both Damnator and Morgareth. Bibax and Indutiomarus come slacking behind. Indutiomarus tries to lash Bibax but before the heavily armoured and powerful charioteer can whip the White Drunkard, as he is called by his opponents, out of his Vigor Serpentis the White makes a surprising turn and pushes Indutiomarus against the walls of the circus, leaving him and his chariot in splinters. However, in trying to catch up with the leading three Bibax himself loses control over his horses and slams into the wall.

The leaders, narrowed down to three, battle each other to the death, so it seems. Since the three factiones present are still in the running, songs and downright battle cries are heard from everywhere among the spectators. Damnator quickly silences the cheers of the Red supporters, however, when he sends Callidus' Celetior against the walls of the circus, which seems to be a popular tactic among the Whites. He narrowly avoids the remains of the other two chariots and is awarded with enthusiastic cheers from the crowd. Morgareth is now advancing rapidly and threatens to pass Damnator, who quickly responds, gives his Fulmen Draconis a nasty twist and as such pushes the Infernerator against the opposite wall, the horses tripping over one another and Morgareth himself flung in front of Damnator's wheels, who makes no effort in avoiding his opponent. Morgareth manages to save himself, however, and despite not being able to defeat Damnator, is greeted enthusiastically by his supporters. The grim Damnator finishes the race, alone. Again.

1. Damnator
2. Callidus (pushed against the walls by Damnator)
3. Morgareth (pushed against the walls by Damnator)
4. Bibax (crashed against the walls)
5. Indutiomarus (pushed against the walls by Bibax)
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:40 pm

The second semi of the Ludi Latini features all factiones except the Whites, who are still partying in the streets with Damnator. Especially the Reds and Golds are very eager to have chariots in the finals. And since in the first semi everyone was out except Damnator, the first three in this race go into the finals. One would expect no rush and no great violence, then. Well, that would be wrong, completely! As expected the purple charioteer Romulus takes the lead almost instantenously, cheered on by his loyal supporters, a public consisting mostly of priests and pious citizens. They see Romulus' quick start as a good omen. Hannibal, in his 'Elephant' is quick to catch the trail, along with Myrtilos of the Blues, but both cease their rabid chase when they see Romulus has outraced them already in the first rounds.

Publius Decius Robur, the Golden charioteer which was wiped out so ungraciously in the last races, is, much to Aurata's disappointment, wiped out again. Maximus, the other Red charioteer, lashes at him. Robur loses control over his horses when one of Maximus' furious lashes hits his hands and subsequently the Quadriga Ignis comes to a crashing halt. Maximus then goes on trying to lash Myrtilos, but the Aquila stays on course and by all his forceful whipping the angry Red is forced to give up the chase and fall back. There he confronts Hannibal, determined to make up for his rather quick defeat in the previous Ludi Circenses, who lashes at Maximus with all his might. Both charioteers, the Green and the Red, lash each other simultaneously and their whips become entangled. Their chariots are drawn closer to one another and, cursing each other terribly, both the Elephant and the Centaurus go on to form a new mythological animal when they violently crash into one another.

Romulus crosses the finishing line, followed a little later by Myrtilos. Factio Purpurea revels in what they see as yet another sign of the Gods that Romulus has been blessed especially, while factio Veneta is pleased to have their driver seen escape the mad wrath of Maximus and make it into the second round, where both victors will confront the terrible Damnator.

1. Romulus
2. Myrtilos
3. Hannibal (swept away by Maximus)
4. Maximus (eliminated by Hannibal)
5. Robur (lashed into oblivion by Maximus)
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:41 pm

THE FINALS

Three chariots appear at the starting line of the Ludi Latini finals. Damnator of factio Albata and Romulus of factio Purpurea are racing their second final. For Myrtilos it's the first one. Will he have beginner's luck or will he be brutally eliminated by the other two? As soon as the sign to start is given, all three chariots start as if driven by supernatural powers, but after one round already the supremacy of Romulus in the field of speed becomes appearent again, even though he very riskily goes closely round the spina in his passing.

Not giving up hope, Myrtilos tries to hurry and catch up with his Purple opponent. However, Damnator, who is not so speedy, has another trick up his sleeve to try and take away Myrtilos' ambition. With a wry, sadistic smile Damnator once again tries his usual tactic and keeps narrowing the amount of space between his own chariot, the Aquila and the walls down until Myrtilos, unable to escape this demon's tenacious scissors movement, loses control. However, the seemingly peaceful Blue makes a last move, by using his lash to tie Damnator's Fulmen Draconis to his own chariot in the blink of an eye. Damnator is thus pulled along in the catastrophe and both chariots crash against the walls, leaving a trail of splinters, ornaments, horses with broken limbs and two uncounscious charioteers.

The Purple crowd hails their hero enthusiastically as Romulus crosses the finishing line and presents factio Purpurea with their second victory in a row.

1. Romulus
2. Damnator (crashed against the wall)
3. Myrtilos (driven against the wall by Damnator)
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:10 pm

Salvete,

Well....talk about violent sports....;-) But congratulations to Romulus again, which makes me wonder, are there any accounts of bribing in the ancient ludi ? ;-)

Valete bene
Lupus - Myrtilos says "hi" from the hospital
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:07 am

AVE ROMULUS

A victory wreath shall lie upon your temples. Favored by the Gods, may you ever after be known as happy

AVE ROMULUS FELIX

Valete omnes optime
M Moravius Horatianus Piscinus
Consul iterum et Senator
Pontifex, Flamen Ceralis, et Praeceptor
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Ludi Societatis