Fasti

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Fasti for

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:54 am

Salvete, mi Romani -

Calendar postings from the Fasti and our SVR Calendar:

For tomorrow, Saturday, July 5, 2008:

Fasti: ante diem III nonas Quintiles [NP] Religiosus, POPLIFUGIUM
    [NP] Nefastus Publicus: Ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels; Comitia: no; Courts: no.
From the SVR Calendar:
- POPLIFUGIA, the ‘scattering of the people’ at the disappearance of Romulus.
- Feriae Jovi: Almighty Jupiter, who both engendered and fathered rulers, things, and gods, God of Gods, You who are both the One and All. (Valerius Soranus FPL fr.4)

For Sunday, July 6, 2008:

Pridie nonas Quintiles [N] Ludi Apollinares
    [N] Nefastus: Comitia: no; Courts: no.
From the SVR Calendar:
- Ludi Apollinares: established in 212 BCE: races in the Circus Maximus.
- Temple of Fortuna Muliebris, 488 BCE, vowed after Coriolanus was driven off by the women of Rome.

Valete, amici.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

FASTI for Moon-Day and Tiw's-Day, July 7 and 8, 2008

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:53 pm

Salvete, Sodales Sociique-

The Fasti for today, Monday, 7/7/08:

Nonae Quintiles [N] Religiosus, Ludi Apolinares
[N] Nefastus (comitia: no; courts: no)

- Religiosus (vitiosus): Like the dies atri, but less bad:
    - Avoid making journeys, starting new projects, doing anything risky.
    - No private religious rites may be performed, subject to the same comment as for dies atri.
    - And that comment was: Normal work would still be performed on dies atri, and as part of performing any work one performs rites for the patron deities, geni locii, and other appropriate deities. Likewise, the daily routine is also performed before the lararium.
    - New fire should not be struck.
From the SVR Calendar:
    - NONAE CAPROTINAE: Women sacrifice to Juno Caprotina beneath a wild fig tree, where ancillae are honored for having saved the women of Rome from a Latin army.
    - Palibus duobus: Great Pales, in memory of you we sing, shepherd of Amphrysis, and all of you who come from forests and streams on mount Lycaeus in Arcadia. (Virgil Georg. 3.1-2).
    - Ludi Apollinares: races and sacrifice to Consus in the Circus Maximus.

The Fasti for tomorrow, Tuesday, 7/8/08:

Ante diem VIII Idus Quintiles [N] Ater, Ludi Apolinares

Dies Ater (unlucky).
    - Try to avoid making journeys, starting new projects, or doing anything risky.
    - Certain gods, including Iuppiter and Ianus, may not be named.
    - These days are ill-omened to begin any new project, and any new project would necessarily begin by performing a rite calling for the assistance of the gods. Such religious rites, beginning something new, are not to be performed.
    NOTA BENE: Normal work would still be performed on dies atri, and as part of performing any work one performs rites for the patron deities, geni locii, and other appropriate deities. Likewise, the daily routine is also performed before the lararium.
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Ludi Apollinares: theatrical performances today.
    - The Vitula sacrifice of a heifer and fruits of the earth made by the pontifices to Juno. (Virgil Eclog. 3.77).

Bene valete, amici Romani.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Fasti for Weden's Day, 7/9/08, and Thunor's Day, 7/10/08

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:27 am

Avete, amici -

The Fasti for tomorrow, 7/9/08:

Ante diem VII Idus Quintiles [N] Religiosus, Ludi Apollinares.

And from the SVR Calendar:
    Ludi Apollinares: theatrical performances.
    Mark the walnut in the wood… if the fruit prevails, a like store of grain will follow. (Virgil Georg. I.187-90)
And for Thursday, 7/10/08:

Ante diem VI Idus Quintiles [C] Ludi Apollinares.
[C] Comitialis (comitia: yes; courts: yes)

- Ludi Apollinares: races in the Circus Maximus.
    - Ascension of Antonius Pius, 138 CE.
Quis fuit Antonius Pius?
Antoninus Pius was Hadrian's successor as Emperor.
The long reign of the emperor Antoninus Pius is often described as a period of peace and quiet before the storm which followed and plagued his successor, Marcus Aurelius. In addition to the relative peacefulness, this emperor set the tone for a low-keyed imperial administration which differed markedly from those of his two immediate predecessors, Trajan and Hadrian. Antoninus managed to govern the empire capably and yet with such a gentle hand that he earned the respect, acclaim, and love of his subjects.
Antoninus returned all of Italy's share of the aurum coronarium, the money raised in honor of his accession, and one-half of that contributed from the provinces. His economic policy in general was relatively conservative and avoided luxurious waste while supporting public works of practical application. His procurators were told to keep provincial tribute reasonable and they were held accountable for exceeding fixed bounds. The provinces in general prospered under his administration and the use of informers was ended. Julius Capitolinus summarizes the excellence of Antoninus' administration when he says: "With such care did he govern all peoples under him that he looked after all things and all men as if they were his own." In spite of his caution in raising imperial revenues, however, Antoninus provided regular gifts of money to the people and to the soldiers and produced spectacular public games with a great variety of animals on display. The emperor also used his own funds to distribute oil, grain, and wine free in a time of famine and helped relieve the devastation caused in Rome by fire, flood, and a collapse of stands in the Circus Maximus and by fires and earthquakes in the provinces.
--from De Imperatoribus Romanis, http://www.roman-emperors.org/tonypis.htm

Dii vos incolumes custodiant!
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Fasti for Dies Solis 7/13 and Dies Lunae 7/14/08

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Avete, amici -

The Fasti for today, 7/13/2008:

Ante diem III Idus Quintiles [C] Ludi Apollinares

- Temple of Apollo consecrated, 431 BCE.
    - Ludi Apollinares continue: theatrical performances.

The Fasti for tomorrow, 7/14/2008, Lunaris Dies:

Pridie Idus Quintiles [C]

From the very outset I pray to You, Apollo, inventor of music and of all the healing arts, come to my aid and this undertaking, bless it with Your laurel. (Ovid Remedia Amoris 75-76)

Omnibus vobis ut Aestas sit venusta.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:45 pm

Salvete, Sodales -

Reviewing the Fasti thread here, I find (to my embarassment :oops: ) that I seem to have missed July 11, 12 and yesterday, July 15. I hope it didn't inconvenience anyone, and I must say I'm sorry. Apparently I need to calendar my calendaring.

In any event,

The Fasti for yesterday, 7/15, today, 7/16 and tomorrow, 7/17/08:
=================================================

For yesterday, 7/15/08:

Fasti: Idibus Quintilibus[NP]
    [/b][NP] Nefastus Publicus (ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels; comitia: no; courts: no)
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Tranvectio Equitum: Procession of Equites in red togae on white horses from Porta Capena to the Capitolium, halting along the way to sacrifices at the Temple of Castor and Pollux.
    - Battle of Lake Regillus, 496 BCE.

For today, Wednesday, 7/16/08:
Fasti: ante diem XVII Kalendas Sextiles [F] Ater
    [F] Fastus (comitia: no; courts: yes)
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Dies Ater Sulpicius failed to obtain proper omens, leads to defeat at Allia, 390 BCE.
    - Beginning of tradition not to hold rites on day following the Ides.

For Thursday, 7/17/08:
Fasti: ante diem XVI Kalendas Sextiles [C]
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Honos by Portus Capena, 233 BCE.
    - Honos and Virtus, 233BCE.
    - ADONIA: dancing lament of the Salmbas over the death of Adonis. Place pots of germinating fennel, barley, wheat and lettuce to float on river in honor of Adonis.
    - Victoria on the Capitoline.

Valete, amici.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

FASTI FOR DIES VENERIS, IULII XVIII, ANNO MMVIII

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:09 am

Salvete, Sodales -

The Fasti for Friday, July 18, 2008:

Ante diem XV Kalendas Sextiles [C]
    Dies Ater est (unlucky).
    - These days are ill-omened to begin any new project, and any new project would necessarily begin by performing a rite calling for the assistance of the gods. Such religious rites, beginning something new, are not to be performed. NOTA BENE: Normal work would still be performed on dies atri, and as part of performing any work one performs rites for the patron deities, geni locii, and other appropriate deities. Likewise, the daily routine is also performed before the lararium.
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Ambush of the Fabii at Cremona, 477 BCE.
    - Dies Alliensis, day of ill omen, Roman defeat by Gauls on the River Allia, 390 BCE.

Valete, Sodales.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:02 pm

Salvete Omnes,

The Fasti for Saturday, 19 July:

ante diem XIV Kalendas Sextiles [NP] Lucaria
[NP] Nefastus Publicus (ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels; comitia: no; courts: no)

Notes:
"Feasts of Clearings". Two feasts celebrated the luci (lucus/lacus = a clearing ringed with trees) where Roman farmers grew their crops. The farmers would say a prayer, and then clear the land to be used during the next growing season. In Rome, the rites took place at the sacred grove near the Tiber at the Via Salaria.

'Lucum conlucare Romano more sic oportet. Porco piaculo facito, sic verba concipito: "Si deus, si dea es, quoium illud sacrum est, uti tibi ius est porco piaculo facere illiusce sacri coercendi ergo harumque rerum ergo, sive ego sive quis issu meo fecerit, uti id recte factum siet, eius rei ergo te hoc porco piaculo inmolando bonas preces precor, uti sies volens propitius mihi domo familaeque meae liberisque meis; harumce rerum ergo macte hoc porco piaculo inmolando esto."
Si fodere voles, altero piaculo eodem modo facito, hoc amplius dicito: "operis faciundi causa." Dum opus, cotidie per partes facito. Si intermiseris aut feriae publicae aut familiares intercesserint, altero piaculo facito.' - Cato, De Agri Cultura 139, 140

The following is the Roman formula to be observed in thinning a grove: A pig is to be sacrificed, and the following prayer uttered: "Whether thou be god or goddess to whom this grove is dedicated, as it is thy right to receive a sacrifice of a pig for the thinning of this sacred grove, and to this intent, whether I or one at my bidding do it, may it be rightly done. To this end, in offering this pig to thee I humbly beg that thou wilt be gracious and merciful to me, to my house and household, and to my children. Wilt thou deign to receive this pig which I offer thee to this end."

If you wish to till the ground, offer a second sacrifice in the same way, with the addition of the words: "for the sake of doing this work." So long as the work continues, the ritual must be performed in some part of the land every day; and if you miss a day, or if public or domestic feast days intervene, a new offering must be made.

From the SVR Calendar:

19 XIV Kal Sext NP: LUCARIA rite of clearing ground in woods and thickets, "letting in the light," celebrated in grove of Leucaria between Via Salaria and Tiber. ADONIA celebrates the Resurrection of Adonis. The Great Fire of Rome, 64 CE.

Wikipedia wrote:According to the historian Tacitus, the Great Fire of Rome started on the night of 18 July in the year AD 64, among the shops clustered around the Circus Maximus. As many Romans lived in wooden houses without masonry, the fire spread quickly through these areas. The fire was almost contained after five days before regaining strength. Suetonius claims the fire burned for six days and seven nights in total. The fire completely destroyed four of fourteen Roman districts and severely damaged seven. Also destroyed were Nero's palace, the Temple of Jupiter Stator and the hearth in the Temple of Vesta.

Valete bene!
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Dies Solis, 7/20/08, Fasti for this Sunday

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:35 pm

Salve, Tiberii, atque Salvete, Romani -

Calendar posting for tomorrow, Sunday, 7/20/08, from the Fasti list and our SVR Calendar:

Fasti: ante diem XIV Kalendas Sextiles [NP] Lucaria
    [NP] Nefastus Publicus: Ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels; Comitia: no; Courts: no.
From the SVR Calendar:
    O god, who with a nod can stir the ocean foam, You Neptunus, who with Your Salacia encompass the lands of the earth, hear my prayer and grant me Your indulgence. (Valerius Flaccus Argo. I.194-6)
Valete, amici.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

For Monday, 07/21/2008 - Dies Lunae

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:08 am

Salvete, Cives Romani -

Here is the posting for Monday, 7/21/2008, from the Fasti list and our SVR Calendar:

Fasti: ante diem XII Kalendas Sextiles [NP] Lucaria

[NP] Nefastus Publicus: Ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits,
    and should try to avoid quarrels; Comitia: no; Courts: no.
From the SVR Calendar:
    - LUCARIA, the rite of clearing ground in woods and thickets, "letting in the light," celebrated in grove of Rhea Silva.
    - Birth of Damo, daughter of Pythagoras.
    - Birth of Maximian, 250 CE.

Bene valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

FASTI, DIEI MARTIS, MMVIII.VII.XXII.

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:55 am

Salvete, Cives Romani -

Here is the Fasti posting for Tuesday, 7/22/2008, from the Fasti mail-list and our SVR Calendar:

Fasti: Ante diem XI Kalendas Sextiles [C]
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Concordia, 367 BCE.
    - Saturn and Rhea.
    - Honor.
    - Destruction of the Eleusinian Sanctuary, and martyrdom of Mithras Hilarius and the priests of Demeter, 395 CE.

Bene valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

FASTI FOR WED 7/23 AND TH 7/24/08

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:45 am

Salvete, Amici -

Ecce notitia dierum advenientium "Fasti", et diei Iulii XXIII et XXIV:

Fasti: ante diem IX Kalendas Sextiles [N]

E calendario Romano nostri Collegii Religionum:

- NEPTUNALIA: Supplicatio and immolatio to Neptunus and Salacia.
    - Thanks be to Neptune my patron, who dwells in the fish-teeming salt sea, for speeding me homeward from his sacred abode, well laden and in a good hour. (Plautus, Rodens 906-910)

Fasti: ante diem X Kalendas Sextiles [NP], Neptunalia
Ab Calendario Romano nostro:

- O Neptunus, brother of Jove and Nereus, heartily and gladly I give you praise and grateful thanks. And to you, Neptunus, before all other gods I offer and accord you the highest thanks. I give you praise, for you know how to treat men fairly; this befits the gods. (Plautus, Trinummus 819-30)

Bene valete, Sodales Peregrinique.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

FASTI FOR VENERIS DIES, MMVIII.VII.XXV.

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Salvete, amici -

Here is the Fasti post for Friday, Friya's Day, 7/25/08:

FASTI: ante diem VIII Kalendas Sextiles [NP], Furrinalia
    [NP] Nefastus Publicus (ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels; comitia: no; courts: no)

From the SVR Calendar:
    - FURRINALIA. The flamen Furrinalis sacrifices to Furrina in Her sacred grove, where Gaius Gracchus was murdered in 123 BCE.
    - Death of Constantius II, 306 CE.
    - Purification in the River Volturnus near Temple of Diana Tifatina in Capua.
Bene valete, omnes.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Fasti for Sat 7/26, Sun 7/27, Mon 7/28/2008

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:37 am

Salvete, Cives Romani omnes -

I have three days' worth of Fasti, including today's, to post:

- Ante diem VII Kalendas Sextiles [C], 7/26/2008, Saturnis Dies.
From the SVR Calendar:
    "Laverna love me, She who watches over thieves. If you do not order those thieves to return to me my things, I shall make a row before your temple!" (Plautus, Aulularia 445-6)
- Ante diem VI Kalendas Sextiles [C], 7/27/2008, Solis Dies.
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Procession of the Gods of the Underworld at Lake Avernus.
- Ante diem V Kalendas Sextiles [C], 7/28/2008, Lunae Dies.
From the SVR Calendar:
    "Grant, O Gods, that the earth may lie soft and gently upon the shades of our ancestors." (Persius, Satires 7.207)

Valete atque lucem Solis Aestatis delectate.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

ANTE DIEM III KALENDAS SEXTILES

Postby Marcus Calidius Gracchus on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:45 am

M•CALIDIVS•GRACCHVS• QVIRITIBVS•S•P•D

SALVETE OMNES,

HODIE EST ANTE DIEM III KALENDAS SEXTILES

Fortuna Huiusce Diei is the Roman Goddess of Fate, Fortuna, in Her aspect as "Fortune of the Present Day", who has the power to bring good things and good luck right now.
Her temple in Rome was located in the Campus Martius, the "Field of Mars", and though the precise location is still debated, it is most probably the little round temple ("Temple B") in the modern Area Sacra di Largo Argentina in Rome, which when uncovered included some fragments of a female cult-statue. The temple, Aedes Fortunae Huiusce Diei, a temple devoted to the "Luck of the Current Day", was vowed by the general Quintus Lutatius Catulus during the battle of Vercellae, July 30th, 101 BCE (Plutarch, Marius 26.2) who was obviously happy that the fortune of that day included his survival . He used the spoils of the defeated Celtic tribe, the Cimbri, to build the temple, which was dedicated (officially opened) on a later anniversary of the battle and indeed the Fasti Pinciani and Fasti Alifani record a sacrifice to the fortuna huiusque diei in campo on a.d. III Kal. Sex. (Alas, his good fortune did not last: he later chose the wrong side in the civil war and was persuaded to commit suicide.) The fragments of the colossal white marble cult-statue from Temple B, a circular temple with six columns remaining, include the head of a matronly-looking goddess, her hair bound up in a conservative style. She has majestic features (and incidentally, pierced ears), and her mouth is slightly open.

Fortuna Huiusce Diei likely had a shrine or altar on the Palatine, as there was a street on that hill called the Vicus Huiusce Diei, supposedly named for it. According to Pliny the Elder, this shrine was supposed to have contained a statue of Athene made by the famous Greek sculptor Phidias, who also made the great chryselephantine (gold and ivory) statue of Athene for the Parthenon in Athens. This statue was dedicated by Aemilius Paulus, who took it as spoils from a battle in Greece, and who died in 160 BCE, which would make this temple to Fortuna Huiusce Diei an earlier and different temple than the one in the Campus Martius.

Her festival was held on the anniversary of her temple's dedication, July 30th.

Also called: Fortuna Huiusque

Alternate meanings of Her name: "Good Fortune for Today", "Luck of the Day"

GRACCHVS
M•CALIDIVS•M•F•M•N•M•PR•PAL•GRACCHVS
CIVIS•ROMANVS•SVM

VERITAS•LVX•MEA

S•V•R
Marcus Calidius Gracchus
Socius
Socius

Fasti for Dies Martis Mercurii Iovis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:59 am

Salvete, Quirites.

Gratias imprimis Marco Calidio Graccho propter auxilium eius Calendaricale!
First of all I must offer thanks to Marcus Calidius Gracchus for his calendarical assistance earlier.

From the Fasti posted via the Yahoo group and from our existing SVR Calendar, here are the Fasti for today, Tuesday, and the next two days. (By the way, you can see the SVR Calendar we use in the website's Collegia Religionum, and via this link -- http://www.societasviaromana.net/Collegium_Religionis/caljul.php
.)

FASTI: ante diem IV Kalendas Sextiles [C], 7/29/2008
E Calendario S•V•R:
    "Harsh Fortuna, delay for now Your rage." (Apuleius, Met. 6.28 )

FASTI: ante diem III Kalendas Sextiles [C], 7/30/2008[[list]C] Comitialis (comitia: yes; courts: yes)[/list]E Calendario S•V•R:
    - Fortuna Huiusce Diei, 101BCE. - "Each person should stay within the limits of his fortune." (Ovid, Tristia 3.4.26)

FASTI: Pridie Kalendas Sextiles [C], 7/31/2008
E Calendario S•V•R:
    "May You, holy goddess of Plenty, whom alone I serve, be kind to me and bless me always." (Plautus, Captivi 877)

Valete omnes.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:06 pm

Salutem Civibus Romanis omnibus hoc in mense Augusto, Val.Claudius Iohannes s.p.d. -

First day of AUGUSTUS (id est nomine pristiniore, Sextilis)

FASTI: Kalendis Sextilibus, [F]

"Holy Vulcan, foremost of this place, to You we pray. Grant peace to the exhausted fire brigades and to those who service the fountains. If none are harmed so very much, if the flames You permit to assault only a few deplorable souls, Holy One, then at each of your altars they will sing your praises, three times, three times they will pour libations and make thick with incense Your altar fires piled high with fruitful boughs." (Grattius, Cynegetica 437-42)

- Every Kalends is sacred to Iuno. "Vindicat Ausonias Iunonis cura kalendas..." -Ovidius
- [F] Fastus (comitia: no; courts: yes)

From our SVR Calendar:
- Spes in Forum Holitorius, 258 BCE. "Spes Bona, please hear my prayer and lend me Your aid; help me out of my misfortunes." (Plautus, Rudens 231-32)
- Victoria on Palatine, 294 [temple founded].
- Shrine of Victoria Virgo on the Palatine, 193 BCE [another manifestation of Victoria, her virgin form, but this one the founding of a shrine to her.]
- Festival of Ceres.
- Birth of Claudius, 10 BCE. :wine:
- Birth of Pertinax, 126 CE.

Additional note de Victoria illa: "When her statue was removed in 382 CE by emperor Gratianus there was much anger in Rome. She was normally worshipped by triumphant generals returning from war."
-Per Wikipedia[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_%28mythology%29]

Certainly I'll be pleased, Kalends Augusti being my favorite Emperor's birthday. May it be a day of peace, profit and strength for all of you. Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Fasti for II Sextilis, 2761 AUC

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:28 pm

Salve iterum, Cives Romani -

The Fasti for tomorrow, 8/2/2008:

FASTI: ante diem IV nonas Sextiles [F] Ater
Dies erit:
- Fastus [F] (comitia: no; courts: yes);
- Ater (unlucky):
    - These days are ill-omened to begin any new project, and any new project would necessarily begin by performing a rite calling for the assistance of the gods. Such religious rites, beginning something new, are not to be performed. NOTA BENE: Normal work would still be performed on dies atri, and as part of performing any work one performs rites for the patron deities, geni locii, and other appropriate deities. Likewise, the daily routine is also performed before the lararium.
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Dies Ater: Roman defeat at Cannae by Hannibal, 216 BCE.
    - Battle of Zela, Caesar’s address to the Senate, Veni, vidi, vici, 47 BCE.

Valete, vos omnes.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am

Denuo Salvete, Quirites -

The Fasti for Sunday, 8/3/08, and for Monday, 8/4/08:

FASTI: ante diem III nonas Sextiles [C]
    Sacrum Canarium made to protect crops from withering summer heat, performed near the Porta Catularia, at the rising of Sirius, possibly by the flamen Quirinalis.
And also:

FASTI: Pridie nonas Sextiles [C]
From the SVR Calendar:

"If, at the fourth day of the Moon, Her horns are erect, there will be great storms at sea unless, indeed, She has a corona around Her and that circlet unblemished, for by that sign we are informed that there will be no stormy weather before the Full Moon." (Varro, in Pliny N. H. 18.79)

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Fasti - Late for Today, but also for Wed & Thursday

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:49 am

Avete, amici -

The Fasti for Today (belated), Tomorrow and Iovis Dies (Thunor's Day).

FASTI: Nonae Sextiles [F], 8/5/2008
    [F] Fastus (comitia: no; courts: yes)
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Temple of Salus on the Quirinal, 302 BCE. Circus games and sacrifice of a cow for Salus.
    - Flee the fifth: for then sprang Orcus and the Eumenides. (Virgil, Georg. I.276-78 )

FASTI: ante diem VIII Idus Sextiles [N] Ater, 8/6/2008

- [N] Nefastus (comitia: no; courts: no).
- Ater (unlucky):
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Holy Goddess, may whatever herbs grow by Your providence bring health to all humankind. (Antonius Mus, Precatio Terrae 25-26).

FASTI: ante diem VII Idus Sextiles [C], 8/7/2008
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Summer’s heat has taken my desire to study. (Anonymous).
    - Death of Trajan, 117 CE.

Omnibus vobis bene valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

FASTI FOR AUGUST 8 AND 9, 2008

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:05 am

Salvete, Sodales -

Here are the Fasti for Friday and Saturday, 8/8 & 8/9/2008:

FASTI: ante diem VI Idus Sextiles [C]
From the SVR Calendar:
    - I invoke You, Sol, that You may guide my search for my parents. (Pacuvius, Medus fr.2)

FASTI: ante diem V Idus Sextiles [C]
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Sol Indiges on the Quirinal.
    - Venus Cloacina {whose shrine was in the Forum, in front of the Basilica Aemilia.}
    - Julius Caesar defeats Pompeius Magnus at Pharsalia, 48 BCE.
    - Battle of Andianople, 378 CE.

Valete, amici.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

PreviousNext

Return to General