Latin Language in Everyday Lives

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Latin Language in Everyday Lives

Postby Q. Ovidius Sabinus on Thu May 08, 2008 10:03 pm

I wanted to start this thread, because I'm always coming across new uses for Latin. I assume that other folks do, too.

Here's the first link: Foreca.mobi Weather Services also in Latin.

It's a weather site for your mobile device (http://foreca.mobi. I tried it on my BlackBerry, and it works pretty well.

- qos
Q. Ovidius Sabinus
Socius
Socius

Programming Perl...igata

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri May 09, 2008 3:39 am

Salve, Sabine amice!

And I another; turns out Latin works quite well as a PERL-genre computer language.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/p ... igata.html

(Daggone Romans. We take over everything!) >({|;-)

In fide and cahoots,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Programming Perl...igata

Postby Q. Ovidius Sabinus on Fri May 09, 2008 4:27 am

Aldus Marius wrote:And I another; turns out Latin works quite well as a PERL-genre computer language.

Mei deus! That is amazing. There's a feeling of -- how shall I put this -- shock, however, when one is confronted with an ancient scripting language in an ancient speaking language, and double that shock when the former is more easily understood when displayed in the latter.

Inventum bonum, meus amice!
Last edited by Q. Ovidius Sabinus on Fri May 09, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Ovidius Sabinus
Socius
Socius

Wikipedia in Latin

Postby Q. Ovidius Sabinus on Fri May 09, 2008 4:30 am

la.wikipedia.org is where Wikipedia can be found in Latin. I don't know if this counts as new, though, because it's been around for quite awhile. I only just remembered it after reading the Perl paper (I don't know if I'm every going to forget that ... ).

- qos
Q. Ovidius Sabinus
Socius
Socius

Tweak

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri May 09, 2008 4:51 am

Salve iterum, clare Ovidi!

Heia, it's new to me!! *warps over there*

I tweaked your link to the Foreca.mobi press release so that it didn't s---t---r---e---t---c---h the Board display on beyond Zebra. It's BBcoded a bit differently, but it still goes to the same place. Hope you don't mind! >`({(:-)

[Disclaimer: Other than fixing links Too Kewl to Miss, your admin does not go around editing peoples' posts.]

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Tullius Ioannes on Sat May 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Latin in a strange, limited form is alive and well in the law. Lawyer-latin we can call it perhaps. Nunc pro tunc, per stirpes, sine die, the ever popular res ipsa locquitur, ejusdem generis, for example. You should hear lawyers' pronunciation. But it is interesting, and a testimony to the power and influence of Rome and latin, that even these small phrases can still be heard, and read, in courtrooms all over the english-speaking world.
Philosophia est ars vitae
Marcus Tullius Ioannes
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Return to General