Salvete Omnes

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Salvete Omnes

Postby Q. Ovidius Sabinus on Fri May 02, 2008 7:35 pm

In what seems to be the tradition of this section, here's a little about me:

I'm from Nova Brittania and was born in Montes Virides. My interest in Latin dates back to high school where I took two years. Since then, I've kept it as one might keep a good friend who moved away before the relationship could really solidify: always in mind, but never really developing into anything stronger. I'm happy to say that I'm working to change that.

I started working through Wheelock in March of this year and have learned much more than I ever remembered. I wantde more, though. I wanted to write more Latin, read more Latin, maybe even have a few debates in a language that seems so ready for such things. I searched for folks online with whom I could email, chat, share snippets of Latin, and generally connect with over a shared love of the language.

Nova Roma seemed to be that place for me, but my bent is not towards an actualization of myself as a neo-Roman (feeling more Pictish/Norse as I do), nor do I have a drive towards politics -- other than perhaps writing about it -- within such a group. Realizing that, then, I followed a few folks and found this group.

I've grepped through the forums, read the works on the main site, and have enjoyed the tone with which you all seem to communicate. A tone that I feel I can enjoy. Perhaps even add my own voice to some day.

In real life, I'm an Information Architect in Boston. I've also worked as a newspaper reporter and developer during my time in Masschusetts. I'm married, have a son -- to whom I've started to teach Latin -- and a bunch of pets. I hold a degree in Literature and write mostly essays on my blog. Philosophy, poetry, and human analysis are up there on my list of hobbies. I hope to both learn from and take part in what I see as a pretty solid group you all have going here.

Valete et Gratias,
- Q. Ovidius Sabinus
Last edited by Q. Ovidius Sabinus on Sat May 03, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Ovidius Sabinus
Socius
Socius

Postby Gaius Iulius Tabernarius on Fri May 02, 2008 11:37 pm

Nice to meet you, I am Gaius Iulius Tabernarius. I am also a duel citizen of SVR and Nova roman, and like yourself I am from, and live in Nova Britannia.

Welcome.
"O Tempora! O Mores!!" Cicero
Gaius Iulius Tabernarius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Ave, Nove Sodalis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat May 03, 2008 2:36 am

Salve, Quinte Ovidii Sabine -

Atque pro verbis vestris de nobis tam gratis, gratias agere debeo. For your so-kind words about us, I must thank you. We are quite glad to have you here!

As to the Lingua Latina, we haven't quite worked out a way to sustain an active confabulatorium, if you will. I find, myself, that the more I post and get involved here, the less Latin I type! Although for those Latinists present more graceful and skilled than I, that may be a big relief.

In any event, Welcome.

Vale bene.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Sat May 03, 2008 6:41 am

Salve Q.Ovidius Sabinus!

I too am glad to see you here. I wish I could say I knew Latin, but alas, the time is not there. I'm looking forwardto seeing more of your posts in our forum!

Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Aliquo die.....

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat May 03, 2008 7:12 pm

Salve iterum, Quinte Ovidii Sabine -

It occurs to me - thinking of the future - that at some point I will certainly visit Brittania again (et Anglorum Terra, et Cambria, et Pictorum Terra, et Hiberniam tandem videre) and I will have to look up some of our Sodales in those Multifarious Isles. I was hoping to make it to Rome this year, but there are money issues ... of course! But in any event, Quinte Ovidii, if that time comes I will give you plenty of time to say nay to an uninvited relation!

Vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Return to Introductions