Our Pets! (lots of pics!)

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Our Pets! (lots of pics!)

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:23 am

The Little Dog:

My Small Girlfriend, Curli-Su. We kind of rescued each other when she was a month old--her from a gang of abusive children (I grabbed my quarterstaff and went medieval on them), and me from the months following my 'psychiatric episode' (when I was spending most of my time wandering in the woods, searching for the remnants of my being). She was the first living thing I'd connected with since I left Nova Roma. Not bad for a palm-sized pup.

She just turned six years old. She's still smaller than a laptop case, but only a little. She's tidy and rather catlike; she loves to climb and sits in the window all day. She barks when I need her to and not otherwise; she bats things around with her grabby little paws; she likes cats, dislikes other dogs, and feels relentlessly responsible for me. And we're going to Austin in April, for the Feriae Latinae gathering; now that I've got a car and my life back, it's time she learned how to be a Road Warrior! >({|;-)

Just thought some of you might like to meet her.

In amicitia et fide,
Last edited by Aldus Marius on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby cepasaccus on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:39 am

From me a different story.

This is the last photo of my cat yesterday morning. We had let to put her out of her misery last night. She was 18 years old. She was a cheerful cat, never grumpy. In her youth she liked to play table tennis and was really good in catching the ball.
kitty mea felis dodeviginti annos nata requiescat in pace. me per pleramque meam vitam comitabat. laeta gaudiumque meum erat. desiderio eius angor.
cepasaccus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

One good cat...

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:37 am

Ave, mi Cepasacce,

Aieee...that is sad. I too have known the company of a wonderful, wonderful cat (and her name wasn't Felix). A black-and-white "tuxedo cat" like yours (or what she looks like from that angle). Sam-cat was a great car-traveller, and in her time with me she lived amicably with two dogs, a rat, a mouse and a parrot. She liked to sit by the poolside at my apartment complex just to people-watch. She could catch birds the size of pigeons. She liked to go out fighting on Friday and Saturday nights; she was a spayed female, so it wasn't the mating thing; she just liked the adventure. If she seemed to be getting the worst of it, she'd come running back to the house, knowing that Combat Poodle Pepper and Rudi the Greyhound would provide backup. On our dog-walks, she followed so close behind us that from a distance people thought she was on a leash too! And she only ever scratched me once, totally by accident. She would only sharpen her claws on tree-bark; and she would rather have done a face-plant than use them even to hold onto me to keep from falling.

I've missed her hard...and my other three dogs, the last one dying of a stroke a couple of days before Christmas of 2005; and the rat, and the parrot (whom we discovered had been wild-caught, so we rehabbed and released him in Venezuela)... So many griefs. But shortly after Pepper's death, I found a verse that put it perfectly; it's from Kahlil Gibran:

"When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart
And you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."

I have known much pleasure and much delight in the company of my pets. We've had capital-A Adventures; Pepper served with me during Desert Shield/Desert Storm (we were Stateside, fixing airplanes when they came home on rotation). I have been extraordinarily blessed.

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby cepasaccus on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:19 pm

kitty mea felis dodeviginti annos nata requiescat in pace. me per pleramque meam vitam comitabat. laeta gaudiumque meum erat. desiderio eius angor.
cepasaccus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:11 pm

Our 5-year old cat, Augustus. We're pretty sure he large part Maincoon but he wasn't bred or anything. He was named both after the month in which he came to us and after the emperor Augustus.

His hobbies include sleeping, eating, sitting on small trees and hunting. Things I am sure the real-life Augustus would have enjoyed as well.

This begs the question though, should we name our next cat Tiberius?
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Tibi II?

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:03 pm

Salve, mi Tiberi! (...now, where have I heard that name...)

> ...should we name our next cat Tiberius?

(Tibi for short?) Only if you want to start a dynasty. Then again, you *are* the heir to the Dionysian Empire! >({|;-)

Leviter,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

iam canium plures

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:24 am

Ave, Sodales -

Augustus is a pretty impressive cat. He's more Roman than I am, I think.

Vale.
Last edited by Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby L. Livia Plauta on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:49 am

Salvete,
here are my cats Hod and Vidra watching out of my bedroom window from the loft. Their names mean beaver and otter in Hungarian, because they used to love water as kittens. Hod is the one with the white spot under her chin.
Unfortunately Vidra died last year, at the age of 8, of cancer.
Now I have a new cat I rescued from the courtyard, but she's still too wild to take photos of. It took me two years of feeding her before I was able to catch her, and by that time she was very ill and needed quite a lot of care. Now she's perfectly recovered, though. Hod isn't very friendly to her, but at least she's not bored to death like when she was alone.

Valete,
Livia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by L. Livia Plauta on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
L. Livia Plauta
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Plures Canes?

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:52 am

*reviews thread*

Is it just me...or are we running a bit of a dog deficit?

(Hmm...I may have to do something about that in the next day or two.) ]{;o)

Plures canes mox venit!
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Tour of the zoo

Postby Decima Decia Melania on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:52 am

Well, I don't have a pic of our dog Sasha, but lemme just tell you that she's a beautiful Siberian Husky. Simply gorgeous.

Also no pics of our goldfish, Auric and Goldfin (intribute to Goldfinger).

Here is Little Bit, my cat (and birthday present last year)...

And here are my other two "pets," Sir Andrew, and "Tater" the Dragon...
Dum vivam, laeta ero.
Decima Decia Melania
Socius
Socius

Plures Canium

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:50 pm

Salvete omnes -

De domo Claudiorum Iohannorum (assuming my family would adopt my nomen-cognomen-combination), canes nostros ostendeo:

Hic "Einstein" primus erat canium. It was 1995. There was this little, sleek, Pomeranian-mix puppy wandering loose in traffic. Our next door neighbor-lady picked him up, then thrust him upon us. We all wanted a dog, so we adopted him. As you can see, he's getting a bit gray (like me) as the years go on.

Fast forward five years. My eldest was walking home from school, himself a lover of dogs, and this raggedy, fairly dirty, homeless white-yellow terrier (or whatever) was standing across the street. They looked at each other. And that was it; the dog would not leave him. We waited for her to see if she wandered off again, then we got to know her, adopted her and named her "Lady" -- although in fact she looks much more like "Tramp".

Where Einstein was a nervous, loves-everybody-dog, Lady turned out to be strictly a one-man dog; Alex was her "mate", as she saw it, and no one had better come between them without passing inspection. We all got a nip before (after 5 or 6 years) she mellowed out some. Einstein had a bit of an identity and displacement crisis when she arrived, but he adjusted with sufficient compensatory attention from us.

Lady was tough, quiet, immovable (yes, I've tripped over her) and a hunter, mostly the occasional bird, but we were always pulling her avid self off of any furniture close to the turtle tank -- oh, she was hungry for those turtles.

Which brings us to 2007. My wife is taking the two dogs for a walk, and has been for some time thinking of getting a large dog -- she wants a watchdog. And then this big golden retriever puppy comes bounding along the street, saying hello to everyone available. One woman has her door open and he just invites himself in.
Back home, my wife tells Alex about the dog. He goes back to the court where the dog was seen. And -- once again -- the dog won't leave Alex. Fait accompli, we now have a large golden retriever pup. WOOF-WOOF! Oh yes, a bit noisy, and somewhat unpopular with the little older dogs, but they get along well enough.

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Namesake

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon May 12, 2008 5:29 am

Salvete iterum!

Not pets, but my namesake bird of prey; this pair has a Webcam at their nesting-site in San Jose, California (US). The link:

http://www2.ucsc.edu/scpbrg/falconcameraSJ_ms.htm

And it doesn't even choke my dialup! >({|:-)

In fide (and feeling a little more free),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Felix

Postby cepasaccus on Thu May 15, 2008 10:24 pm

On May the 5th died also our other cat Felix at the age of about 10 years. About 8 years ago we saw him sometimes in our garden. He was probably an abandoned cat because he was getting thinner and thinner and he was very afraid of humans, but Kitty liked to play with him. Over months we introduced him to us and our house, but even after years he got panic, when somebody bent over him. Still he needed his daily hours of share of affection.

valete

cepasaccus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Commiseratio

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat May 17, 2008 12:10 am

Salve, Cepasacce -

Deplorabile audire est felis alius tui de abitu. The loss of loved ones tries us.

Is he survived by another pet? I hope so.

My best wishes for you all.

Vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby cepasaccus on Sun May 18, 2008 8:22 pm

No, Valeri, he was our last pet.

Gratias tibi ago.
cepasaccus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Return to Introductions