De Frequenter Publicantium Nominibus

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

De Frequenter Publicantium Nominibus

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:22 am

Salvete, sodales omnes -

I was curious about how we were named, in general, so I performed a kind of poll. I sorted the members list for the 100 top posters to the Forum, noted down their Nomina Gentilia, and tallied up how many instances of each, to see what was popular amongst us. Here's what I found for those 100:

Gens name / Number of sodales bearing name

Dionysius -- VIII (# 1 favorite)
Iulius -------- VI (1st runner up)
Aurelius ---- V (2nd runner up)

Atque ultra illas, has:

Claudius ---- IV
Marius ------ III
Moravius ---- III
Pomponius -- III
Aelius -------- III
Flavius ------- III
Antonius ---- II
Arminius ---- II
Tullius ------- II
Salicius/Salix - II (if we count these nomina as essentially the same...)

Beyond that, the nomina were all single instances.

Valete, omnes.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

In nomine...

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:27 am

Salve, mi Iohanne!

The Dionysii I can explain easily enough: They Started It.

Gnaeus D. Draco, Tiberius D. Draco, Tarquinius D. and other Worthies formed the bulk of our founding membership, and still rule our only official Province, Provincia Belgica. (Where everyone by now must be speaking flawlessly Inquisitive Latin! <g>)

Aurelia has always been a popular gens, in the SVR and in the world at large. Whenever they write a Roman novel or movie script, there always seems to be an Aurelius, and he is always a Thoroughly Decent Human Being. Hei, even I've got one; see the site's Roman Humor page for a few little stories about him.

The Moravii of Britain were fully as influential in getting this place off the ground as the Dionysii of the Continent, even if not so many of them have joined.

I have no idea why we've got three Marii. >({|;-)

Our Salices were caught in the middle of a dustup a few years ago about tightening up the Roman-name requirements. It was said that neither their gens nor the Dionysii were attested. Possibly not; but we haven't found everything in the ground, and until we do I'll take any name that sounds even plausible. (I've never heard of an Aldus Marius either.)

Perhaps members of the other gentes will reply here with stories of why they chose their nomina, their role in the Society's development, and/or how they came to be?

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Ad nomina...

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:23 pm

Ave, miles praeclare Alde Marii -

Were our founders Dionysian of a single gens by mutual intent, I wonder? Perhaps one of the august Dionysian Dracones can enlighten us, the latecomers.

The Salician dust-up occurred here at the SVR? Or was it at that Notable otheR forum?

On the website of the Gens Ambrosia (http://www.ambrosii.com/) they mention their gens' revival at Nova Roma, and then an emigration; some members of the gens are sodales hoc in situ. Was their migration the result of the same dust-up at NR that led to the founding of the SVR?

Vale bene.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Re: Ad nomina...

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:59 am

Salve Valeri

Valerius Claudius Iohanes wrote:Were our founders Dionysian of a single gens by mutual intent, I wonder? Perhaps one of the august Dionysian Dracones can enlighten us, the latecomers.

They were members of gens Apollonia in Nova Roma. They and other Apollonii found SVR. They formed gens Dionysia in SVR, together, as they are brothers, and then were joined by some of their friends.

Valerius Claudius Iohanes wrote:The Salician dust-up occurred here at the SVR? Or was it at that Notable otheR forum?

Here I think. Marius is referring to when we tried to have our Sodales adopt names in accord with the new guidelines - proper Latin and all that. It was voluntary for those who were already Sodales, and thus some of our older members still bear their former names. BTW you can count me as a Moravius, too, which is the name I had before, and took again when I rejoined Nova Roma. Initially when I joined SVR I used a name which I had long had, then took Moravius in SVR as other Moravii joined, but later dropped Moravius in that dust-up so that I would comply with the new regs. Marcus, because I was born in March. Horatius because my great grand mother was an Orazio, or Horatia in Latin.

Valerius Claudius Iohanes wrote:On the website of the Gens Ambrosia (http://www.ambrosii.com/) they mention their gens' revival at Nova Roma, and then an emigration; some members of the gens are sodales hoc in situ. Was their migration the result of the same dust-up at NR that led to the founding of the SVR?

There was an earlier dispute in NR to which the Ambrosii were party. But there is no telling whether that is why any might be here now, or whether the Ambrosii in SVR are related at all to those who were once in NR.

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Salix!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:15 am

Salvete iterum, amici!

> The Salician dust-up occurred here at the SVR? Or was it at that Notable otheR forum?

Oh, you mean the Roman Internet Micronation? --Na. 'Twas here, in late '04; you can read the initial salvos in Comitia-->decretum Dionysium de nominibus. Don't worry, we won't do it again; we've got it out of our system now, and all responsible parties were properly put to shame. >({|;-]

(I've since rewritten the guidelines myself; no one in admin objected, so...anyone wishing to reclaim an old name is free [and welcome] to do so.)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:33 pm

Salve Valeri Claudi,

Yes, Tarquinius and Tiberius are my natural brothers, which is also why they share my cognomen. They have never been involved in NR though. Publius Dionysius Mus used to be an Apollonius, like me, and Aulus Dionysius Mencius is his natural cousin, though the two branches of Dionysii are related only by geography (we live about 20km apart).

Actually the name Dionysius did exist, but it was certainly not a classical gens.

Vale bene!
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Geographically-Separated Backup

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:53 pm

Twenty kilometres, mi Draco?? Have you moved to China, then? --'Cause that's where Mencius sheds his sandals these days. >({|;-)

Leviter,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:14 pm

Salve Mari,

Well orginally Mencius is from the Ganda area :). I think he's back, because a few weeks ago I saw him in a pizzeria here.

Vale!
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Eyewitness: Mencius

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:10 pm

Hmm, yes, that would be considered sufficient proof of his greater proximity...! >({|;-)

Mi Menci:
((((((((( Welcome Back !!! )))))))))

(with jade and red for Chinese luck!)

Laetus, triumphans, in amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General