Muster on the Maumee (Ohio, US)

Announcements about reenactments, conferences, history faires and other Roman organizations and events. Tell us what's happening in *your* Province this week!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Muster on the Maumee (Ohio, US)

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Avete commilitones!

[LatinTeach] has been very generous to our Roman Gatherings section this week. Maybe it's because school's out, but here's what some teachers are doing on their summer vacation:

Muster on the Maumee

Salvete,

As long as we are making announcements about upcoming events for the summer, for those of you in the Midwestern U.S., on the weekend of June 15-17, at Fort Meigs in Perrysburg, Ohio (Just south of Toledo), there will be a massive multi-timeline event, including ancient Romans to modern military.

For those of you who would like to see about 50 Roman soldiers fight it out with 'barbarians,' this is a great opportunity. We will also have 3 working siege engines. The plan even includes the arrival of a ship on the Maumee River. The drill / training will be in Latin, so there will be lots of video/photo ops. All Latin teachers will be welcome to don some period clothing and join the fun. Max Nelson, University of Windsor (Ontario), will be conducting Latin and philosophy classes.

Bene Valete,

David Smith
GP Schools
WSU
[Quintus F Varus
Legio XXIV]

I remember when there weren't 50 Roman reenactors in the entire US of A. We are finally building up to the kind of numbers it takes to accurately demonstrate what made the Roman army so special. What would a regional gathering look like, or an annual national one? I am lovin' this!! >({|:-D

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

After-Action Review

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:10 am

Avete iterum, amici amicaeque!

Looks like the "Muster on the Maumee" last weekend was a huge success! One visitor had this to say:

I want to send out my congratulations to David Smith and his crew. I was able to catch Sunday's reenactments of a Roman army fighting the barbarians at Fort Meigs in Perrysburg, Ohio. It was great. The commands were in Latin.......Examples: State nunc. Movete nunc. Festinate. There was also a demonstration of a working catapulta. Mother Nature's 90 degree temperatures didn't diminish the men's enthusiasm. They were the highlight of the day.

If you didn't get a chance to catch it, you may want to put it on your calendar for next year.

Nice job!

Cindy Kokinda
Latin/Algebra Teacher
Sandusky High
2130 Hayes Ave.
Sandusky, Ohio 44870

...and another, describing some highlights of the area where the event was being held:

This was one of the coolest things EVER!!! We came over from Milwaukee on Friday evening. Spent ALL day at Ft. Meigs. Romans, Vikings, name your war, they were there. Talked to dozens of INCREDIBLE people. We then toured a freighter, ate dinner on the river and attended a jazz festival. On Sunday, we drove around the Victorian district. Saw an Episcopal Church, the guy watering flowers gave us a great tour. He lives in Perrysburg, and is "in dogs", my "other life". Know many dog people in common, just like us Latin teachers. Went to the glass exhibit and glass blowing at the Toledo Museum. WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND!! THANKS FOR POSTING!!!!!!

Lindley Henson
IB Latin Teacher
(Waukesha Kennel Club, Immediate Past President)
(PBGVCA BOD Member)

(Romans and puppy-dogs: How kewl is that??) ]{;o)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Roman Gatherings