Adlocutio Highlights!

Announcements about reenactments, conferences, history faires and other Roman organizations and events. Tell us what's happening in *your* Province this week!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Adlocutio Highlights!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:47 am

Salvete omnes!

This is the first installment for Roman Gatherings, the Forum's new section for news of Roman groups and events!

Every month I get the Adlocutio, the newsletter for the Twentieth Legion based in Maryland, US. I also get info from The Roman Way in central Texas; from Nova Roma; and from the [LatinTeach] List, which is especially strong for conferences and conventions. If anyone hears of any scheduled appearances of Romans in Batches, don't wait on me--holler here!

This goes, not just for events, but for any Roman groups we may happen upon. A new Legion forming in your area? A gladiator troupe? A foundation to recruit Latin teachers? If there's enough interest, I may even "feature" a different Roman-themed society every month or so. I'll take nominations. Hei, I'll take submissions. If it's Roman and it's out there, it should be seen here. We all benefit from knowing about each other.

OK, here's what the Twentieth has got cookin' for this month:

CALENDAR
- May 5-- Legio XX Workshop? (Not confirmed)
- June 1-3 --ROMAN DAYS, Marietta Mansion

ROMAN DAYS (description is from the Adlocutio:)

Yup, it's coming up! June 1-3 at Marietta Mansion in Glenn Dale, MD. Public hours on Saturday and Sunday will be 10 AM to 4 PM. Friday will be mostly set-up and general hob-nobbing, and there will be a feast on Saturday evening. We are currently expecting TWO leather tents and even more troops than we had last year! Remember, you do NOT have be a fully-equipped Roman reenactor to participate--we want other ancient types as well, plus wargamers, teachers, historians, and anyone else with an interest in the ancient world.

Basic information is on the Roman Days page of the Legio XX site,

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/rdays.html

Hope to see you all there!

Mari's Note: This event has pedigree. I believe Nova Roma was hatched at one of the early Roman Days events, and many of its founding members were or are Legionaries of the Twentieth. This means I've been aware of it and wanting to go for almost ten years---! >({(:-)

MORE DISTANT EVENTS (if you're a Marylander):

Wethersfield Historical Society’s Celebration of History event during the weekend of June 16-17, 2007, at the Keeney Memorial Cultural Center, 200 Main Street, in historic Wethersfield, Connecticut. The society is a non-profit organization, established in 1932 to promote historical preservation and education.

In celebration of its 75th Anniversary, the society plans to host living history reenactment groups representing various periods of history (Stone Age to Modern) to promote interest in history, illustrate the many changes in culture, technology, strategy, etc. that have evolved over time and to reinforce the fact that learning history takes many forms and is great fun!

Each group is asked to provide a small encampment and representative furnishings, equipment, staff, etc. for the weekend, with a focus on visitor interaction and education. A demonstration area will be provided and units are encouraged to pre register for demonstration times for small arms, weapons, tactical, craft skill or other public demonstrations appropriate to their group’s background.

The society will provide a stipend for each unit, as well as straw, firewood and fire-pit (if requested), and 24-hour access to restroom facilities. Units are invited to encamp overnight on-site or in one of the museum’s indoor spaces if desired (there are also many local hotels with reasonable rates).

Please contact society Director Doug Shipman at weth.hist.society (at) snet (dot) net to learn more about this event or to express intent to participate. Their site:

http://www.wethhist.org

We look forward to your joining us as we celebrate history, and our 75th Anniversary as an organization dedicated to historical preservation and education!

Being where I am, my own contributions to this section will be mainly of events in the Southwestern US. This section is intended for much broader coverage; so if anyone else knows of any Roman-type groups or activities in their part of the world, post them here! The more of us there are, and the better aware we are of each other, the faster and more powerfully Romanitas will grow in the world.

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Roman Gatherings