Diva Agrippina Augusta

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Horatius Piscinus scripsit

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:14 am

[Horatius Piscinus, in old Forum:]

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:18 am Post subject:

Salvete bene Publi Pomponi et omnes

My Italian is well enough to follow most of what Publius said thus far. And I can usually follow Scerio's Latin. Meanwhile, some here will struggle with my difficult English. My convoluted thoughts can become expressed in lengthy, hard to follow sentences. If you have a problem understanding them some times, then I will try to simplify my English in more coherent sentences.

Not everyone here does follow the religious traditions of Roma antiqua, and even among those of us who are gentiles Romani cultores Deorum there are differences. Sometimes those differences are broken down as either Republican or Imperial. But Publius has raised a much more interesting and fundamental idea. I would like to hear more of his thoughts on the Feminine Power and Virtue in Roman religious ideas.

First, while Romulus is credited with having founded Roma, its true founding came with an idea that was sung to Aeneas by Carmentis. Roma only became a City with the marriage of Romulus' followers to Sabine women, and the names of all the Roman tribes took the names of those Sabine women. Women were the foundation on which Roma rose. And Numa Pompilius was credited with having founded the institutions of Roman religion, but he did so only with the advice sung to him by Egeria in the sacred grove of Carmentis.

Seneca wrote a couple plays about Hercules, in which he made mention of a story about how Hercules had carried Juno while She was fleeing from Jupiter. Why did Jupiter persue Juno? It was not out of love for Her. Jupiter is King of the Gods only through His marriage to Juno. She is the seat of His authority. And why did Juno flee? Because She knew that whomever She married would become King of the Gods.

The empresses, at least some of them, were identified alternately with Ceres or the Magna Mater. On the one hand an empress personified the bounty of a well-ordered empire. They embodied Feminine Power and Virtue in a way that the modern world may not understand, but still feels a need for. Some of the empresses were thus deified. Later a cultus for Mary was adopted by Christians as there was something otherwise missing from that faith. And today, the interest in so-called Celtic traditions grows from a sense of loss of the Feminine Power and Virtue in our modern world. I think that the role of the Feminine in Roman religious traditions is not well understood. It is fundamental to the religio Romana. The religio Romana grew from an ecstatic tradition that was identified with the Feminine, and which was represented by Carmentis and Egeria. So I would like to see more discussion on that aspect of Roman religious thought.

As a cultor Deorum, I recognize that there is the divine in every person, a genius or juno, and that everyone has the potential to attain towards godhood. I recognize that in the past some were recognized as divi and divae. I don't practice the imperial culti divi myself, but the idea that some evolve spiritually beyond becoming Lares or heroes to become a divus or a diva is certainly within my religious beliefs. And oddly enough the one person whose image I keep to remind me of this idea is that of Agrippina Augusta. So I would also like to hear more from Publius on her.

Di Deaeque vos bene ament

Sapere aude!
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Primus Aurelius Tergestus scripsit

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:18 am

[Primus Aurelius Tergestus, in old Forum:]

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:27 am Post subject:

Salve Tertii,

Per raggioni tecnichi, abbiamo un nuovo luogo Web:

http://societasviaromana.net

Ci vediamo li!

Tergestus
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

(Last one!) Primus Aurelius Tergestus scripsit

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:25 am

[Primus Aurelius Tergestus, in old Forum; this is the last of the transfers:]

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:40 am Post subject:

Salve Publi Terti,

Abbiamo bisogno di cambiare il luogo Web. Per piacere, poi continuare questa conversazione en www.societasviaromana.NET ? Grazie mille.

Tergestus
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Admin's note

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:30 am

Salvete, amici Romani...

I'm aware that there are a good many posts here that may have been authored by one person on the old Board, but then transferred here by someone else. I'm not sure I can adjust the actual post counts; but if any of the original authors' Board rank would have changed if they had made the posts here themselves, I will promote them manually.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Publius Pomponius Tertius on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:23 pm

Dear Praefectus,

thank you for your help in posting old messages here.
I add again the last one, so that I hope this topic can go on...
Yes, it was my humble pietas for the Augusta of Rome and my Goddess of Roman State.

With all my friendship,
PPTAgrippinensis

Dear Horatius,

I've posted here again the old messages.
Thank you for your latest one.

I don't want to carry you on my party by strenght or easy words...
Cioè non voglio tirarti dalla mia parte con l'adulazione.
But you are really a smart mind who would have to study history in a "official" way. I don't know if you are yet a researcher or a scholar in "real life".
I'm reading Seneca's Mad Hercules and you are right...
Juno is very surprising casted.
I read some echoes of Agrippina in her character, because Seneca wrote very much for political reasons.
Are you sure you don't wish to read my essay about Agrippina, where I argument, among other things, thesis she did not die in 59 by Nero?
One last thing: you tell about Diva Livia's statue in Augustus Temple.
But we have the proof of a gorgeous statue of Diva Agrippina in Divus Claudius Temple in Rome, so... (it's my avatar). Exactly the same...
Probably it was Vespasian to install her there. Trajan installed her in own Forum.

Best greetings to everybody,
PPTAgrippinensis
Publius Pomponius Tertius
Socius
Socius

Last one!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:55 am

[Publius Pomponius Tertius, in old Forum:]

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:47 pm Post subject:

Dear Horatius,
I'm writing now on ".net": please follow me there!
Thank you,
PPTA

Ed.: Duly noted! >({|:-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:18 am

Salve Publi Terti

I would like to read your essay on Agrippina. If in Italian it will take me some time to go through it and I may not understand all of your arguments.

I am not a Classicist. I don't think anyone would really consider me a scholar. I have a degree in history, but not in ancient history. Maybe you could say I am a researcher in as much as I do some research on my own. I consider myself to be a student of Roma antiqua and enjoy reading on the subject. But there are a lot of gaps in what I have read so far. In real life I was a former intelligence analyst in the US Army, later a government worker in different bureaucracies, and then a small business owner, and I am now on a disability retirement from injuries I sustained in the army.

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Publius Pomponius Tertius on Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:28 am

Dear Horatius,

I've served in Italian Army too and I'm actually occupied as public officer.
Like each people really smart, you are humble and you consider yourself as a lifelong student.
Very fair. I'm another student, dear Horatius!

I'm very happy that a smart sensitive person like you does wish to read my humble essay about Agrippina.
I send it soon to you.
Unfortunately it's on Italian but there are also quotations from Anthony Barrett, the great Anglo-American scholar who recently wrote an important biography of Agrippina.
Anyway, please ask directly - also in our forum - for any dark point.
Starting from my essay, we addressed to the Major of Rome, just now on 20th of December 2006, a petition asking to name an important street of Rome to Agrippina Augusta, so closing her damnatio memoriae that seems to go on still today.
I did propose a very beatiful street on the Caelium, in ancient Claudius Temple area, front of Colosseum, actually Viale del Parco del Celio.
Is your e-mail the forum one?
Is it okay?

So many greetings to everybody and long Memory and Eternal life to the Goddess of Rome.
PPTA

p.s.: I see e-mail by forum does not allow attachments. So please send me your e-mail on private, thank you.
My e-mail is conte@queendido.org, also through my website in my profile.
Publius Pomponius Tertius
Socius
Socius

Previous

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum