Greek transcription

Forum and collegium dedicated to the teaching, writing, speaking and interpretation of Latin, ancient Greek and other languages of related cultures.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Greek transcription

Postby Anonymous on Sun May 04, 2003 11:24 am

Chairete sas,

I am making a Greek transcriptiontable in the Collegium Graecum. There I will propose two systems. One very true to the alphabèta, and another more like the romans have done it. The second one does not seem suitable for the Collegium Graecum. But if there are requests in the Collegium Latinum for sush a table, based on academic knowledge (University of Ghent). I would like to compose 'the roman one' too. Of course I invite everyone to come here and make remarks beforehand and afterwards.

salvete Romanos,

Hellenos
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun May 04, 2003 6:18 pm

Ave amice,

I'm not sure what a Latin transcription would entail. Latin alphabet has no letters our alphabet does not have so I don't see why it would really be necessary? The only matter of debate, perhaps, is if and where we should use V/U or J/I. Personally I am very much in favour of not using /I/ and using /V/ only if it stands for the phoneme [w].

However, what might be a good idea is a small explanation of common acronyms in Latin found in inscriptions. I believe Mus is a modest expert in this field ;).

Bene vale,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun May 04, 2003 6:23 pm

By the way, just a small pedantic remark (I am known here as the "Latin Inquisition" by some ;)): should it not be "Antverpiae"? I always heard that Latin name for Antwerp.

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Sun May 04, 2003 7:55 pm

Chaire Drakon,

what I ment is a transcription from Greek to Latin.
as for my heimat, indeed it is, it will be corrected :wink:

chairetismous,

Hellenos
Anonymous

Return to Collegium Linguarum