Latin tips and tricks

Forum and collegium dedicated to the teaching, writing, speaking and interpretation of Latin, ancient Greek and other languages of related cultures.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Censora

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon May 11, 2009 7:43 am

Salvete omnes,

We used to have Censores, and even now usually have one Curator doing most of the Censorial functions. Gaia Aelia Cleopatra was our go-to gal in that function in the Curia of '06-'07. We called her "Censora". It stuck. >({|:-)

I know Latin is a gender-sensitive language, but I don't see the point in calling undue attention to someone's gender when discussing their work unless it actually makes a difference in their job. Actor/actress I can understand. But author/authoress? Does it matter whether a book was written by a male or a female? Not to mention how "mister" and "mistress", or "governor" and "governess", have come to mean such different things from each other depending on the sex of the person thus described.

So...Censora. And Curatrix. Conciliaris, like everyone else in the decumvirate. Decemvira, for that matter. We've been going by feel with the titles, but these have been used with Domina Aelia's consent. If any other lady of the Societas prefers different titles, let her run for and become a Curator (or volunteer for any appointive position) and she shall have her preference. >({|:-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Previous

Return to Collegium Linguarum