Odysseus the Epicurean ?

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Odysseus the Epicurean ?

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:32 pm

Salvete omnes,

I just watched a documentary about Odysseus on the BBC in which the 'moral lesson' behind Homer's poem was, somewhat surprisingly perhaps, described as a sort of Epicureanism 'avant la lettre'. Striving for fame is vain (derived from the episode in the underworld where Odysseus meets Achilles, who tells him he would rather be the lowest serf on earth than the king of all the dead), striving for eternal sensual pleasure ultimately bores and does not satisfy (Odysseus stay with Calypso) etc. True life for Homer, according to the documentary-makers consisted in a simple but rewarding life at home, with wife and children, with friends and family, enjoying the good things daily life provides. Of course, in these few lines, I have rendered the content this 60 minute documentary in a somewhat simplified way, but nevertheless I'd like to know what the other sodales think about it. Do you think it a satisfying account, or do you find it a bit one-sided, a construction 'a posteriori', or perhaps do you even think our looking for a "moral behind the story" is simply a wrong way of approaching Homer's masterpiece ? I'd like to hear some other people's opinions on this issue and will intervene with my thoughts on it as the discussion develops.

Valete optime,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:53 pm

Salve Attice,

This conclusion of theirs does seem a bit contrived. It seems like they arrived at the conclusion and then looked for evidence to support it. I think there is a moral behind the story, or at least an underlying theme with moral parts to it, but I'd need to write an essay to explain them (Which I'm planning to do at some point, by the way.)

I mean, he writes an epic about one of the most gruelling wars in history and the documentary writers decide that this means he was supporting a nice simple home life...

So general thoughts: Homer wasn't an Epicurean!

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum