Etruscan religion

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Etruscan religion

Postby Anonymous on Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:32 pm

Friends,
is there somebody who knows something over the similairity and difference of the etruscan and roman religion, and specific, there burial traditions
thanks
Anonymous

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:11 pm

Salvete

Upon browsing the forum, I stumbeled upon this topic which was mostly ignored. I will do my best to answer this question.
If we want to compare the Etruscan religion and the Roman religion, we find similarities between the two. (To the extent that my knowledge of both these religions allow me to see them)
There are some theories about the origines of the Etruscans, that they came from asia Minor but left somewhere early 1st millenia B.C.
There are similarities because Etruscan religion influenced Roman religion. If I recall correctly, it were the Etruscans who brought many religious practices to Rome and they were adapted to suit the current Roman religion at that time. I think the practice of studying omens in intestons of animals was one of them, that the Etruscans brought to Rome or at least this practice originated in Etruria.
I think that the Romans borrowed the structures of some temples from the Etruscans and practice of putting gods into triads (Minerva- Jupiter and I think the third one was Apollo or Juno) Anyway, I think a search on etruscan religion on the web would give some good results to look deeper into this matter. Perhaps, Piscine can help us out here.
valete

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:19 pm

Salvete omnes,

Jung lurks and synchronicity strikes again!

http://www.maravot.com/Etruscan_Phrases_a.html

I came across this site just yesterday, and logged on here to see if anyone could offer an opinion on it.

Valete,
Ambrosius Celetrus
Anonymous

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum