the relation between philosophy and religion

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

the relation between philosophy and religion

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:37 pm

Salve,

How do you see the relation between philosophy and religion? Are both the same, or is there any difference? Where is the boundary?

Vale,

Barbatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:40 pm

Locate, my friend, allow me to make a little sidenote.

You have often said that you are a non religious person, cfr. previous subjects in this collegium. What strikes me is the fact that, for a 'non-believer', you seem very interested in the phenomenon of religion.

And I know what your answer will be... I am only making conversation. But still...

Back to topic, then.

In my opinion, there are several possible links between philosophy and religion, or people automaticaly make that link.
First of all, you have theology, the philosophical study and foundation of relilous thought.
Furthermore, let me give you an example out of my field of interest, the East.
Confucucianism is, as you might know, a philosophy, a way of life. And yet, many people regard it as a religion. I agree that there are some religious concepts in confucianism, e.g. filial piety, but this only as a means to harmonise society.

Another observation : although it is not regarded as a religion by the Chinese, they do have confucianist temples...

It is a thin line between philos and religio, but there is one nevertheless.
That is my view on these matters.

Vale bene, amici
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:38 am

It seems to me that religion requires some sense of divinity, that is of some being greater than ourselves. One characteristic of religion is the practice of prayer and of worship, and without the concept of god there is nothing to direct oneself to.

Are there religions without gods? Buddhism is ambivalent about the existence of gods, yet it is considered a religion. Perhaps that is because worship and prayer have crept into the practice of Buddhism in many places around the world.

How about Taoism? Again, local changes have introduced gods, prayer, and worship. In addition, the tao itself can be seen as a god worthy of worship.

Philosophy does not require a godhead, although it can certainly accomodate one. It could be argued that theology is a part of philosophy, but I think it would be hard to include philosophy as a branch of religion.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:22 pm

Tergeste wrote:It could be argued that theology is a part of philosophy, but I think it would be hard to include philosophy as a branch of religion.

You are saying exactly what I think, my friend. But, as you say, we first should try to define 'religion' and 'philosophy'. And then compare them. What do we have so far:

Religion:
- requires some sense of divinity
- practice of prayer and worship

What else?

Mencius wrote:What strikes me is the fact that, for a 'non-believer', you seem very interested in the phenomenon of religion.

Indeed, because I want to destroy this evil! :twisted:
No, seriously, because religion has shaped our lives for centuries and ages, and I would like to learn more about it.
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:26 pm

In my opinion, philosophy and religion don't necessarly exclude one or the other. They can be independant. I forgot his name, but one philosopher from antiquity who is today thought to be a monotheist, who was a philosopher but also dealt with religion. Same goes for the Pythagorians and the neo-pythagorians. I have read that the neopythagorians tried to counter the newly born christianity by deifying Apollonius of Tyana and regarded him in the same way that Christians regarded Christ. In antiquity philosophy and religion was seperate things, but crossed path many times. Only the last couple of centuries, this started to change. Philosophy and religion seperated themselves from one andother. In my opinion this is because Christianity does not leave space open for debate on God. What is written in the Bible and other books are to be accepted as truths. In antiquity, this wasn't so. Any philosopher could start a debate on the Gods without actaully being prosecuted as a heretic. Some found problems within their religion that they tried to solve. Where religion is trying to come up with answers for certain problems, philosophy tries to examine them and understand it. I think philosphy will always influence not only society but also religions.
valete optime
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum