Objectivity, a noble dream?

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Objectivity, a noble dream?

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:06 pm

Salvete!

This is a dillemma that has been commented on since centuries: does objectivity exist? Is it possible to be objective?

Valete,

Locatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:26 am

Salve Locate,

Interesting question. I personally think objectivity does not exist but we can get close. Objectivity is a form of perfection or of perfect perception but since our perception is always limited (because we don't know enough information, because we don't have access to more information) I believe any kind of research, even in the "hard" sciences such as physics and math, will always be coloured because of the axioms they use (which, although they seem very logical, can't be proven).

I don't think subjectivity is a bad thing, by the way. In fact the study of literature is very subjective although students and scholars also form paradigms of logic and argumentation. As long as there are logical reasons or as long as there's sound thinking behind a subjective statement, why not?

Vale bene!
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:18 pm

Salvete!

My view on this matter is simple: Objectivity is impossible. It doesn't matter how hard we try, we will always be looking upon certain facts from a personal standpoint (experience, our own values, etc.)

Is subjectivity a bad thing? The best way to say is: subjectivity is human. And it depends on yourself if you consider that a bad thing or a good thing...

What brings me to a next point: do values and virtues actually exist? What are they?

Valete,

Locatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:38 pm

Salve,

Of course virtues and values exist. How else would you be able to speak of them? ;)

Vale,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:41 pm

Well, actually I don't think they exist. And, to be honest, I hate it when someone uses the words 'virtues' and 'values' in a generalized matter.
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:42 am

I repeat my question: if they don't exist, how can you speak of them? They do exist. You have your own moral codes, I have mine. And they are virtues. They may be different virtues (although I doubt they differ much) but they are still virtues.

Vale bene,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:30 pm

I can speak of them because people believe they do exist. I don't think humans have very much moral codes. What I do believe is that societies of people shaped moral codes to make society more coherent.

And that's one of the reasons why I don't believe in virtues etc. Because they were not shaped by yourself, but by tradition. (And if there is one thing I hate it is tradition for the sake of tradition.) So when I hear this word, I already try to break it into little pieces.

It is true we need rules to be able to live together. And rules are only obbeyed when the people believe in them. Once there was a virtue of greed, adn there was an oil crisis. So there was a new law defining speed limits. Now, 30 years later, we do not obbey this law anymore because the virtue on which it was founded doesn't exist anymore.

Are there eternal virtues, values? I don't think so.
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:12 pm

In this respect, virtues are indeed creations. But even traditions are created by men, and if you gain enough influence, you can not only create but also impose your own virtues.

However, aside from traditions, which go in and out of date, I do believe in some very basic, fundamental human virtues. Compassion, for instance. The ability to empathise with other people. Only psychopaths and other disordered people lack this ability. And people who don't feel much compassion or do not think highly of this are usually pretty shallow on an intellectual level, or disliked by other people.

An ideal virtue is something that benefits everyone: both the individual and the people around him.

Vale!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum