Patron God(s)/Goddess(es)

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Patron God(s)/Goddess(es)

Postby Anonymous on Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:11 pm

Salvete!

I would like to know how one selects his Patron God or Goddess and what things are to be considered.

Valete!
Anonymous

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:41 pm

Salve Flave
Well you can start honoring the deity you feel close with, you are drawn to. But usually this goes the other way around: the deity will chose you. you can't really chose him/her. To the best of my knowledge, there are no real requirements, but if you want to follow how the Romans or Greeks practiced their faith and the Greeks had rules (especially Apollo), you must respect and follow those rules. But i'm talking of Hellenismos, not so much of Religio Romana.
vale optime
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:09 pm

Salve Luci Flave

In the past your patron deity might be by family tradition, as where the Iulii claimed descent from Venus. Or your occupation, or location of residence might lend you a patron deity. Every town, and every neighborhood inside Rome has its own patron deity. Then too you might belong to some societies that would have their own patron deities. And of course you could simply feel a special attachment to some deity too. But as Orcus said it is mostly a matter of a god or goddess selecting you as a client than that you choose a patron.

So maybe if you give us some information we could help you discover a patron? What is it that first attracted your interest in Roma antiqua and is there anything in that that might indicate the influence of a particular god or goddess? What is your occupation? What traditions of your family do you hold especially close? What religious places might be near where you live? Even a Christian church, as these were sometimes built over our temples. A little research into the history of your particular town or neighborhood might reveal which deity it was once dedicated to.

From that I suppose we could begin to look for a patron for you. You would then serve Them, eventually asking Them for a sign of approval in acceptance of becoming your patron. Some of our members have reported visions, or a feeling of the presence of a god, or a simple "knowing", but it is always best to seek out signs first as to which god or goddess is most open to assisting you, and then later have it confirmed by taking the auspices.

Vale bene
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:17 pm

Salvete!

Sorry for this late reply, I have forgotten about this thread and I was dedicated myself to other stuff recently.

Well I'll try to answer your questions Piscine.

What is it that first attracted your interest in Roma antiqua and is there anything in that that might indicate the influence of a particular god or goddess?

My islands were part of the Roman and Byzantine empires, this is what has drawn me towards Roman antiquity mainly, a rediscovery of my ancient heritage perhaps. I recognise myself as a Latin person by culture as well.

I don't know enough about the Gods to know which God or Goddess made me approach the Religio Romana, but I feel an attraction towards Mars, Apollo, and Iuppiter.

What is your occupation?

I am an IT Student looking for a career in IT.

What traditions of your family do you hold especially close?

No particular traditions, and possibly just Christian ones.

What religious places might be near where you live?

There is the village church a few metres up from my house, a basilica, but no mention of Pagan temples except the one in the next village which predates Rome. In the next village there is also a cave where Calypso is supposed to have dwelled, Gozo is the island where supposedly Ulysses met Calypso, in other words Calypso island, in fact sometimes Gozo is referred by that name.

There could have been temples to Juno on my island, there were definitely some in Malta, don't know how much and where, probably many got destroyed.

That is all I guess.
Anonymous

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:37 pm

Salve Luci Flave

From my own experience, different deities will become more important to you as new situations arise in life. So always remain open to impressions and go with what you "feel" to be best for you.

Now, for what you wrote:

Lucius Aurelius Flavus wrote:
My islands were part of the Roman and Byzantine empires, this is what has drawn me towards Roman antiquity mainly, a rediscovery of my ancient heritage perhaps. I recognise myself as a Latin person by culture as well.

I don't know enough about the Gods to know which God or Goddess made me approach the Religio Romana, but I feel an attraction towards Mars, Apollo, and Iuppiter.

There could have been temples to Juno on my island, there were definitely some in Malta, don't know how much and where, probably many got destroyed.

Since your interest seems rooted with your homeland's anitquity I would urge you to continue to research its religious past. "Juno" is the title given to a protective goddess of a place. For instance Calypso might be taken as the Juno of the Isl of Gozo. Every locale will have a genius that is either male or female, but a larger area like a city or island would also have protective deities, a Juno being the female counter part to a protective god. Thus Juno Caelesta is the Roman name for Tanit who was the protective goddess of Carthage, and Juno Regina is Vei, the titular head of Veii. If you find more on a temple of Juno let us know Her particular name. Juno Melita might be the name, or She may have had a more local name.

Otherwise I can think of no better patron than Jupiter. Therefore I would suggest you begin there, researching on Jupiter. And as you do, and as you learn more, it may then become clearer to you if it is Jupiter or some other god who is calling to you.

Vale et vive in pacem deorum
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum