An idea

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

An idea

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:56 pm

Salvete

to breathe new life in this collegium, I suggest we do something as a group where each individual picks a topic like a deity of any pantheon of the Romans, Celts, Etruscans, Mesopotamians, Hellenes, Egyptians, etc... and work around that topic for a week or a month. I got this idea from someone I know who came up with the whole God of the month club where each month they pick a god and work with said deity for a whole month. I do it from time to time with several Hellenic deities.
Since not everyone is a practitioner or a pagan, we can change it to that people research a particular topic like rituals, deities, etc... and try to publish it here in a form of a essay.
What do you think?
Valete

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Aulus Flavius on Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:15 am

Salve amici,

I seem to remember a post or discussion with Piscinus some time ago regarding the Lares, and Penates. Considering the central importance of these two very Roman deities to the Household Cult. I'd love to read an essay on their nature, worship, rites etc.

Vale,

A. Flavius
Aulus Flavius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby Q Valerius on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:20 pm

The specifics about the Lares and Penates are still shrouded somewhat in mystery. We know several things, like their shrine was often in the entryway to the house, two figures were carved with a snake underneath. Aeneas is described in the Aeneid as carrying his household gods from his home away from Troy.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Religious Theme Scheme

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Vale, Aurelii Orce -

Quam bona notio. Shamash ille Mesopotamianorum Deorum meis affectionibus semper praeclarum habet locum. Ego igitur de hoc antiquo deo aliquod scribere volo.

Vale et omnibus valete.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Nemesis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:10 pm

I could tell a bit about Nemesis and her cult in gladiatorial context. At least I picked her as patron deity of our gladiator school. :lol:
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Tardior, verum non mortuus sum....

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:40 pm

Salvete, omnes -

I haven't had a chance to do much on this yet, but I plan one last push for articles and info this weekend coming. With Mesopotamian deities, there doesn't seem to be too much in the way of facts or anecdotes, since the evidence is so scarce - and so ancient.

Nonetheless, the subject is still good. More later.

Omnibus, valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

A start

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:47 pm

Salvete, amici Romani!

Aurelius Orcus wrote a superb series of posts about the Mesopotamian Gods, detailing them individually; it's in Collegium Religionum-->Mesopotamian Gods: An/ Anu, on page 4.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Orci opera

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:51 am

Maxime, Alde Marii -

I often forget to look in the Collegia for info on things, but Orcus's Mesopotamian stuff I have kept. I have those essays of his at home as a binder-clip-bound volume; it was the second reference I went to after Wikipedia...

Gratias tibi.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:20 pm

Salvete
Thanks for the praise, but do keep in mind that 90% if those series of posts came from internetsources like Wikipedia, Gateways to Babylon website, Encyclopedia Mythica, Encyclopædia Britannica article. I also used a couple of FAQ on Sumerian and Babylonian mythologie as a source plus Manfred Lurker: Dictionary of Gods and Goddess, Devils and Demons. I can also recommend Religion in Ancient Mesopotamia by Jean Bottero. It goes in detail (not that much really) on religious life of the Mesopotamians.
valete

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum