Roman-gallic deities

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Roman-gallic deities

Postby Caius Flavius Gallicus on Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Salve!
I live in northern Italy,in a region(Aemilia),where there was a strong gallic presence(the Boi tribe).During the centuries,there was a strong commistion between gallic and roman cultures,and some roman gods were given attributes of gallic origin.
In fact Jupiter was often called "Jupiter Taranis",as Taranis is the thunder god of the continental celts,and Mercury was identified with Lugos(Lugh),as the god of commerce and intellect.
Do you know other associations of such kind?
In my province in particular,Taranis was worshipped.
Caius Flavius Gallicus
Socius
Socius

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:12 am

Salve Cai Gallice

Earlier this year I did a survey of Latin inscriptions. In Aemilia I didn't really run into the names of any Romano-Gallic deities. Below are the names of deities I did find, the numbers after the names indicate how often they appeared on Latin inscriptions of Aemilia

Apollo 2, Ceres 1, Diana Lucifera (CIL 5, 7355) 3, diva Drusilla 1, Fauni (AE 1945, 48) 1, Feronia 1, Fortuna (Primigenia) 5, Genius loci 4, Genius 4, Hecate 1, Hercules 4, Isis 5, JOM (Fulgor, Libertas, Tempestas, Terminalis) 13, J Dolichenus 5, Juno Regina 1, Junones 2, Lares sanctes 3, Liber 3, Libera 1, Mercurius 1, Minerva (Medica Cabardiacensis) 22, Neptunus 3, Nympae 2, Osiris 1, Penates 1, diva Plotina 1, Propitia 1, Quirinus 1, Salus 1, Silvanus 7, Talasius 1, deo Terminus (CIL 11, 956) 1, Venus 1, Victoria 1, Volcanus 1

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Caius Flavius Gallicus on Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:23 am

Salve
Thank you very much.Isis had indeed a temple in Bononia,the capital of Aemilia,in th every center of the city.
Caius Flavius Gallicus
Socius
Socius

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum