Creation Mythology

This collegium and forum are dedicated to the study, discussion, re-creation and application of classical Roman and Greek religion and philosophy.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Creation Mythology

Postby Titus Iulius Nero on Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:35 pm

Ok, i was wondering what one or some of the creation mythologies are with the ancient Roman religion. I know that the Roman pantheon is so extended due to Rome's conquest of the Mediterranean and Europe, but are there any specific creation stories? I am preferably looking for non-Greek myths because i know Rome didn't really incorporate the Titans, but all aid is welcome, so if you know of Greek origins that became Roman as well post them please and thank you.
Titus Iulius Nero
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:11 pm

Ave Aeneas,

It's just an assumption and I haven't looked it up yet but I figure that if the Romans had anything like a Creation myth it must've been something with Etruscan roots.

The Greek pantheon came only very late into the Roman pantheon, before that they didn't had pictures of their gods and goddesses like man but it was more abstract powers, and that was a Etruscan way of seeing it.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:54 am

Salve Aeneas

The first God was said to be Pater Matutinus, also known as Janus. There is not a myth to go with this as such, none that I know, but an implied Roman myth, and one definitely not Greek or Etruscan. Janus as the First God, the Beginning of All Things, Cerus the Good Creator (as He appears in the Carmen Salii) is rather unique to Roma antiqua.

But for a Roman creation myth, if you can call it a Roman myth, Ovid did mythologized Lucretius' ideas on creation in the beginning of the Metamorphoses http://classics.mit.edu/Ovid/metam.1.first.html

Vale optime et vade in pacem Deorum
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Titus Iulius Nero on Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:57 am

Thank you and Ave...does that mean like "hello" or something, i see you guys/girls use it all the time...*makes note to learn the lingo* lol

I knew that the Greek Pantheon didn't enter the Roman Pantheon until late but i figured that perhaps something of a creation myth may have been persuaded into the Religio Romana.

I figured Etruscan mythologies was the place to go but i remembered how Rome consisted of the many tribes/city-states like the Latins and Sabines.

But thanks all, and more replies are very much welcome from others who have info as well! :D
Titus Iulius Nero
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Return to Collegium Religionum et Philosophiarum