Odysseus: the series

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Odysseus: the series

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Sat May 31, 2003 7:35 pm

Salvete Romani,

yesterday evening, I watched the serie Odyesseus (all episodes in a row). I would like to know if any of you have also seen this and what your opinions are about it.

Personally, I think that the series stuck closely to the original story and did a good job reviving the ancient myths (especially the part with Polyphemus the cyclops).

Comments anyone?

Valete bene,

Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sat May 31, 2003 8:02 pm

Salve Tiberii
I have seen the series and i thought of it that it was great. They did a terrific job at telling the Odyssee. Personally i think that the series Helen of Troy will not even come close to the Odyssee nor will the movie Troy.
I heard that Helen of Troy has biblical references and all sort of mistakes. I assume the same will hapen with Troy.
But that is Hollywood for you: they haven't heard of the words historcal accuracy.
Vale
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sat May 31, 2003 8:10 pm

Well, there's actually a Hollywood production of the Odyssee (named "Odysseus") out there that is very accurate and wonderfully made. Of course, the makers, Francis Ford Coppola and Andrei Konchalovsky aren't likely to be bullied around by their financial advisors in making a movie ;-)

I've heard a film about Alexander the Great is being made (or will be made in the near future), starring good old Anthony Hopkins as Aristoteles (Has anyone seen Hopkins as Titus in "Titus" ? BRILLIANT movie in my opinion).

Considering what they can do with computer animations to make battles more impressive I'm quite curious to see what they will do with this movie (and of course ready to nit-pick at every detail that's even an inch off ! ;-)

Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sat May 31, 2003 8:13 pm

Salve Lupe
There are two movies coming out in the near future on Alexander the great, one on the battle of Thermopylae and i think a couple on Troy.
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat May 31, 2003 9:14 pm

Yes, I also saw parts of "Titus Andronicus". It's the least liked Shakespeare play of all, so it's quite a surprise it was turned into a movie. However, I don't share this dislike for Titus Andronicus (the play, of course ;)).

There is also a movie in the making about the Iliad, I heard some time ago.

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Alexander Hellenos on Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:29 pm

Chaîrete sas,

I do fear that new Hollywood Alexander The Great movie. Lookin at the cast for example, it will be very commercially made!

chairétismos,

Héllenos
Alexander Hellenos

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum