New RP Discussion Thread

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Re: New RP Discussion Thread

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:22 am

Well... Let me kindle the campfire here....

pop - crackle - flare - whip - crackle

Okay; I have a meta-campfire going. Who will start the story?
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:32 am

Salvete conlusores!

We all do. I'll just bring Marius into town to get the thing going, and everyone else can introduce their characters as they see fit. A "Day in the Life" post for each of us, maybe, or some backstory? And we all end up in the same public spot...maybe the Games, the races, the Forum, or...? Once we break the ice and our characters start interacting with each other, this gets *much* easier.

Twenty paces, and you may wire when ready! >({|:-D
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:54 pm

If we start at a munus then I could start the story of my charackter only in the arena. I would rather fancy a meeting at the forum maybe a day after the games where I could spend my prize money on some jewelery >({|;-) But either way actually doesn't matter, the main point is that we get the thing finally started.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 am

Evoe!! I like it!! The Games, some thumbing around town, a little shopping afters...ita, I hadn't thought of meeting in the marketplace; is good!!

[Ed. note: Te gratulor, mi Iohanne; your intro now heads the "New RP Thread" itself! This topic will still be here for OOC brainstorming. Minor OOC comments/questions/one-liners can stay with their IC posts.]

Laetus,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:00 pm

Excellent posts, amici!
I need to think on my character. Are we doing ourselves if we were Romans? I kind of want to distance myself from playing a patrician woman so there won't be many restrictions to whatever turns of events happen. I think I have an idea as to how to go about that hehe. Also, I'm afraid I'm not nearly as well-versed on life and culture as you all seem to be so please bear with me if I am historically inaccurate or anything of the sort! >({|;-)
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:00 pm

Salve Sempronia Pulla,

Why don't you play a Patrician woman who does things which are not appropriate for Patricians to do? That would spice up your role if you play someone who does unconventional things and does not limit you because its just a game.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:41 pm

Salve Cleopatra Aelia!

That's a good idea. :)
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Spice of Life!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:06 am

Salvete conlusores!

Maybe you were born a Pleb, and a Pat fell in love with you/scandalised his neighbors/gave you the good life? Maybe you're bored out of your gourd and want to return to your old haunts and pastimes? Maybe your own true love is still in the low-rent district? --You could have a lot of fun with this! Don't be afraid to play someone unconventional; after all, Marius isn't exactly standard-issue either. >({|;-)

Sperans,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:34 am

Salvete conlusores!

Inquit amicus Iohannes:

> Say, we had a nice start, but there's not much happening at the RP this weekend! Is everyone just busy, or did I manage to short-circuit everyone else's character-plans?

No short-circuit over here; indeed, I'm full of ideas! (Well, full of something...) But I've been dealing with a pets situation (nothing grave!), so I haven't been in the neighborhood for the last day or two. (Don't tell the Spammatici I'm ever off-site: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....!!) >({|;-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:16 pm

I've just been busy! Go figure right when I jumped in to the RP my time on the computer changes (just Saturday saw the Pompeii exhibit again and really got to appreciate it this time because there weren't many people...the Thracian gladiator's helmet was so awesome! Can't imagine how they had that heavy thing on their heads). Whatever happens, I'll catch up so just do what your characters have to do. I don't want to hold anyone up. I'm kind of a slow writer. If I don't get to post today (Monday) then it will be tomorrow.
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:33 pm

M Sempronia Pulla wrote:I've just been busy! Go figure right when I jumped in to the RP my time on the computer changes (just Saturday saw the Pompeii exhibit again and really got to appreciate it this time because there weren't many people...the Thracian gladiator's helmet was so awesome! Can't imagine how they had that heavy thing on their heads).

My helmet weight 4.5 kg but if you have a good helmet liner the weight is spread (dunno how to say it properly) - what I mean is it doesn't way down on one sport but everywhere so it is not that heavy. The weight is actually not a problem but the breathing due to the closed visor.

As for our RP Thread I'm can't join you guys as long as you are on your seats in the amphitheater, beause I'm down there in the arena and tunnels of the amphitheater. Hope to join you at some tavern soon.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Non-Grave Pet Situation

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:11 am

Salvete omnes,

OK, OK, I'll post tomorrow!! It's not that I wasn't going to; I've just been running around from neighbors to shelter to vet confirming the status of my newfound kitty-cat. Short version: She's expecting. Due date: first week of April. Curli's taking it just fine. >({|:#)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:31 pm

Note to self: Don't specify when you'll be posting until you're pretty much done with the post especially when you're starting a new medication. :oops:

I'm so working on it and again I really apologize for the delay. Tuesday I came down with extreme fatigue from new medication and was sleeping for a good portion (thank goodness for my parents being around to babysit) of the day and yesterday got hit with a migraine. Am stuck at home today so hopefully I will be caught up. My apologies, and again it has nothing to do with anyone or their posts.
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Turnaround Times

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:12 am

Salvete conlusores!

Nulli problema, as they say in Provincia Iamaicensis. My own turnaround time is usually between two and three days, unless I'm posting a quickie. It's just sort of understood that we all have Lives. (Even Marius.) >({|:-)

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Since my boyfriend and murmillo of my group is coming over for the weekend I could be back for our RPG only on Sunday afternoon. But since this is not that fast-paced anyway I hope it won't be much of a problem. Usually I check the forum every evening so I could post immediately when it suited my character but in this case it's different.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:32 am

Salvete, Lusores -

Aelia Cleopatra - there's no force on this! It's to enjoy, when you're neither busy with business nor busy enjoying your weekend!

But also, this suggested a question I wanted to direct to Marius, our resident expert: Do role-players ever temporarily designate control over their character to someone else, letting that person "move" the character until the owner can return? I would expect that once in a great while someone needs to do so, but only very rarely since it could cause the character's owner some frustration and dismay. Quid expertus es?

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:54 am

Salvete conlusores!

It's...*allowed*, but strongly non-recommended. No one knows your character like you do, and you probably wouldn't like coming back from, say, the Sanctum Robotorum to find that your RP self has been involved in a bar-fight with a man who cheats at tesserae or some such.

Re vera, there's no hurry here. If anyone's read the old RP, they'll have seen gaps of up to several months between posts. I hope that won't happen here; but there is certainly no need for a player to send regrets if s/he can't make the next post within a few days of the last one.

On the subject of next posts...is it my turn again, or Sempronia's?
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:31 am

If we're taking turns, I think it would be Sempronia's.

In fact, I'm waiting to hear Pulla explain her situation to Marius and Iohannes. :D
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:26 am

OTOH, Marius hasn't really answered Sempronia's questions... Mi Sempronia, what sayest thou? I hope I didn't blow your character out of the water; if a large part of her story was going to revolve around being taken for a man, I've obviously (in hindsight) pre-empted you, and I apologise.

If this is the case, welllll....Marius and Iohannes might know, but nobody else has to, and Marius can even assist in strengthening and maintaining the illusion if Pulla would like him to.

Guidance? Quid censes, amica?
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:07 am

Sorry for the delay in posting! But to be frank, I was trying to slow things down a bit to allow you guys to leave the ampitheater. I left since dear Cleo {The Lethal One} was all by her self down there, while we were all up there.

I promise I will post again late tomorrow night when I am free.

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

PreviousNext

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum