New RP Discussion Thread

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Dead Silence

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:06 am

*tests it out*

...Rrrgh...neither can I. Time to have an e-mail exchange with The Great Man, our host M Octavius... Actually, he might like this opportunity to set us up with an honest-to-goodness IRC chat; he's been wanting to for a couple of years. Any comments? Post them, as well as any suggestions about the Board-ranks, in the Comitia-->Aediles thread.
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Paulus' termination retracted

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:52 pm

Ok, I deleted the Paulus and the Terminator post.

But, Paulus isn't doing anything for a while except resting in bed. So if it seems a little inactive over here, that's why.

Is Medusa staying in the ludus for now?

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Re: New RP Discussion Thread

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:15 pm

(Okay - Paulus says, "I'll be back", that's good.) :)

How turned off are we re the RP? Do we all feel painted into a corner? Or are we all just too busy in Real Life to have any spare moments for this? For my part, I'm going to keep pushing Marius and Formosus towards the Trans-Tiberim and Paulus's flat. Although, the way things seem to be going, I could almost imagine the RP universe ending up as the Roman version of Bradbury's Martian Chronicles - all ghosts and visions and dismay.) :roll:

Legionaries, march!
Valete.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Mari's Excuse

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:39 pm

Salvete conlusores!

I'm having more fun in the RP thread than I've had in the SVR in toto in a very long time! I have tried and failed to start these things in other venues, but I seldom got any bites--not even the two or three in any one place that it would take to get a game off the ground. For 18 years and some, roleplay of one kind or another [SCA, RenFaire, AD&D and other tabletop games] has been my chief expression of my Romanitas, and the lack of it these last couple of years has somewhat stunted my growth.

My recent sluggishness in posting has been largely due to a sudden mass influx of Family over the last week. Mind you, I'm enjoying Amita et Soror et Frater et Mater et Catulla as much as anyone has ever enjoyed anyone! But it *does* cut into my online time a bit much. I should be myself again by next Tuesday or Thursday. >({|;-)

Would you like me to zap the rest of the Terminator posts? I thought they were rather cute...

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Paulus' termination retracted

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Marcus Lupinius Paulus wrote:Is Medusa staying in the ludus for now?

Paulus

Waiting to chime in again when it makes sense but during the night where I just got back to the ludus safe due to a little less strict curfew I better stay at the ludus and wait for the following day.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

(He Gets It)

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:45 am

Salvete conlusores,

Okay, okay, I get it! Most of us are feeling a little stifled by the historical-fiction format. I like fantasy and superheroes, Iohannes and Lupinius like science-fiction, and *no*body likes homework. I'm sure story-Marius knows what time the venationes start, even if I didn't. Now I'm over here studying floor-plans and trying to get myself motivated about a description of my apartment. I'd way rather be Terminating Aliens and teleporting away!

Shall we tweak open a few valves, then, to admit extra elements? Even outrageous ones? (They're leaking all over the floor as it is...) Is it even possible to consciously decide to be random, freewheeling, wild and crazy? Believe it or not, that's how the other one started out; random players dropping in random elements, one of which finally caught on and became a plot. We don't have a prepared storyline right now, although rescuing Lupinius was looking like a good start. We can still do that; but it's too early to tell what other sparks we may strike off of each other to make further adventures.

This is supposed to be fun, amici! Let's make any necessary adjustments we have to to enhance our enjoyment and minimalise our labor. Formose, you want to be a Patrician? --then we can just say that the whole soldier-on-the-Wall thing was just a way to get yourself into town without being set upon by your way-too-many clients. You've done very well for yourself since returning from your mandatory stint as a Senatorial Tribune! (If that putz at the caupona had only known...)

Oh, and I want my horse back. Yes I does. This is fantasy, after all, which means it doesn't, and shouldn't, have to reflect any circumstances of my real life. >({|:-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Well, actually, I don't like sci fi much and never read it. The brains installment wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. It seems like the RP has pretty much died out, and like the previous Terminator post, this was a bizarre way of recognizing the fact.

The original idea was too violent. It would have been the female terminator from T3: Rise of the Machines, and describes the horrible death each character suffers at her hands. But Brains Under Glass seemed more bizarre and much less disturbingly violent!

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm not much into SciFi either though always enjoyed to watch Star Trek but that's it. And fantasy is not that much of my preferences either. So I propose we should stick to a story based in Rome without SciFi or Fantasy elements but more free e.g. to what a senator does or does not or when venationes start. If it's important for the story you have in mind to let them start *after* the gladiatorial fights then be it so.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:28 pm

There's a challenge AND a plot stimulus - to go round, deal with Paulus's 'mobster' invasion, et sequentia, and arrive back at the colosseum for the Venationes, and that then complicated by Marius's 'factio viridis' and perhaps some sort of connection to the 'mob' - !
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Who's still playing?

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 am

Salvete amici,

Formosus is not coming back.

Still haven't seen Pulla.

I think that leaves Iohannes, Paulus, Aelia and myself, with occasional appearances by Aulus Flavius...is that about the size of it?

New players, of course, are always welcome!
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Previous

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum