Looking for works by Symmachus

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Looking for works by Symmachus

Postby Aulus Flavius on Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:07 pm

Salve amici,

I've been looking around for any extent texts by the Senator Quintus Aurelius Symmachus. The only material I've been able to find is contained in the works of the then Bishop of Milan, Ambrose. I've heard whispers that he might have composed his letters into a volume, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Vale,

A. Flavius
Aulus Flavius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Symmachi Opera

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:06 pm

Salve, Auli Flavi -

Auctoritas non sum, verum hanc ligationem de Symmacho inveni:

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintus_Aurelius_Symmachus

Dicunt partim:

"After the model of the Younger Pliny, the letters he had written to his numerous influential friends were collected in ten books, which form a valuable source of historical information for the Roman Empire in the later fourth century. This collection inspired Sidonius Apollinaris to create a similar collection.
" Works: Q. Aurelii Symmachi quae supersunt, ed. by Otto Seeck (Berlin, 1883; reprinted Munich, 2001, ISBN 3-921575-19-2) All surviving writings of Symmachus: letters, speeches and official reports, in the original Latin. This volume is one of the series Monumenta Germaniae Historica. "

Hope that may help, if you are still looking.

Vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum