RP Thread: OOC discussion

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Revival Movement?

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:20 am

Avete conlusores!

Recently Spotted in One Place: Gn Dionysius Draco et M Scribonius Curio Britannicus.

Does that mean we may have a Game again...? >({(8-)

I'd already kicked some ideas in Curio's direction some time ago; mi Dionysi, if either of you are interested I can forward you the details!

Hopin' for a papilio (tent, as in Marius') revival,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Option

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:40 am

...Or, as Cleopatra has suggested, we could kick off a new story, something a little easier for the newbies to hop into. >({|:-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:40 am

Well, I think a new story would be better. Maybe something nice and simple to start with, one that we can actually finish :).
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

New Chronicles?

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:49 pm

Avete iterum, amici!

We (and then you) have a little time to brainstorm a new tale if we're going to; hopefully we can get Cleo and Aulus Flavius in on this idea-session too. I wouldn't actually be available for play until October-ish at the earliest. But if it goes well and something really catches fire, I won't stop ya's from going ahead without me; my character can just make an entrance later.

Things to think about:

Genre:
Historical fiction, historical fantasy, just-plain-fantasy, science fiction, some delightful mishmash only we could come up with? <g>

Era: (if historical) Kingdom, Early-, Middle- or Late Republic, Early-, Mid-, or Late Empire? Any particular reign? Any particular circumstance? (exempli gratia: Punic Wars, Plebeian Seccession, Year of Four Emperors, Siege of Rome...) If the game is not strictly historical, we could just describe the context: "For the last several years there has been increasing civil unrest..." vel simile. For both Era and Setting (below), we should pick something that will neither assume nor require a whole lot of background knowledge on the part of the newcomer.

Setting: Whereabouts in the Roman world will the action take place? The City itself, one or more of the Provinces, at sea, beyond the limites? (If the last, I'm all for that "Roman Western" I proposed several years back...but that's just my Texas half speaking; I'm not sure how easy that'd be for a non-Ami to get into.) Many of our prospective players over the years have expressed disappointment in that more of the action was not actually taking place in Rome proper. I'm not choosy myself; but some characters (poets and gladiators, pro exemplo) just do better in an urban setting. If Rome is what newcomers are expecting, maybe that's what we should give them? (For my part, however, it wouldn't have to be Rome--it could be any large city in a Province, and we'd avoid the politics. Then again, who says a Rome game has to be political?)

Tone: I think we've figured out that, while we can sustain a long-running, globe-spanning Epic Quest, it's hard to actually finish one, and they're awfully tricky for any new players to get into. We could swing the other way and do this as a bunch of one-offs, strictly for laughs; but hopefully we can find something in-between: engaging, purposeful, yet not too demanding or serious. Hmm... >({|:-q

Overall plot: What's the story going to be about? The last one was "Get our fine Roman selves to Britannia before Draco's brother (a legionary) and Curio's (a leader of the native resistance) manage to kill each other." (Yes, loyal Readers: That's what that one was trying to get to.) This one should have goals that can be reasonably achieved by graduate students, reenactors, Nova Roman magistrates (Gaius Equitius! Come back...!!!) and a post-op veteran in under five years. >({|;-)

...and I'm sure we'll come up with other elements to consider.

Thoughts?
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Previous

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum