RP Thread: OOC discussion

Roman arts, sciences, architecture and literature, and the modern creative efforts inspired by them. This is the home of our famous Roleplaying Thread. >({|:-)

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Curio Agelastus on Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:43 am

Salvete Mari et Draco,

I think we're waiting on Draco at the moment. Draco, wherefore art thou? :lol:

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Quid fit...?

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:47 am

Ave, amice,

But...Mari's question is in response to Curio's story, and is the sort of thing only Curio can answer; the great Wolf is now hunched over his breakfast with his ears laid flat, fearful that he's going to be clouted on his sensitive muzzle with that quarterstaff...

...so how is it anyone's turn but Curio's?

(We do rotate more or less, it was agreed; but anyone has the option to post anytime having their character 'go' would make dramatic [story-]sense.)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:46 am

Salve Mari!

Erm... Texian frontier? How do we relate that to the Roman world? :?

Bene vale,
A puzzled Curio.
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:46 am

Hmm... Mi Mari, you may have to show me the ropes... it appears i'm a Centurio now... :D
Rector ColHis, Senator

Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Lassones (Texian ropes)

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:27 am

Salve et te gratulor, Centurio!

Story-Marius' service in Texas has been alluded to since his first appearance in the RP, but I haven't mentioned it in awhile so I thought I'd stick it in here. (That's where he picked up his taste for all the non-Period stuff he's been eating and drinking on this trip; but more importantly, that is the location of his Roman Outpost. He has never mentioned this except indirectly ("...when I was with my Texian troops..."), and no one has ever asked, but he is quite proud of his deeds there.

Very significantly, he has been to places others have never even heard of, places that would be dismissed as mythical if he ever mentioned them. This really puts the signature and seal on his 'ultimate outsider' status. Said status is something he shares in common with Curio, and very likely forms a big part of their basis for friendship.

As for ropes...he may have some in his saddlebags, unless he left them at the stables. But there are some good, stout, well-maintained ones back at the inn where he stayed in Roma. These are holding something very like a tarpaulin over something very like a stack of lumber, which is not. It is actually an allusion to something even older than his service with (or sometimes as) the Texian Garrison, something that got him in a lot of trouble in Rome and a little in Gaul.

Nobody's ever asked him about that, either. >({|;-)

Fulla surprises,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Course Correction?

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:48 am

Avete, conlusores...

We left Roma by the Flaminian Way, did we not? --Yet that road goes over the Appenine Mountains to the other side of Italia. To get where we're going, we'd have to switch over to the Via Aurelia sooner or later, then hit the Via Aemelia Scaura at the foot of the Alps to reach Massilia.

Shall we assume that our characters remembered to do that? (Draco mentioned passing through Etruria, so I think we're on the right track...)

And how many days/miles have we been travelling so far?

Gazetteerily,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:13 am

Salve Mari,

That's okay with me. I'm less at home in the ancient Italic roads than you are ;).

I'd speed up our travelling tempo a bit. Perhaps we could now spend the night under the starry skies? Also, I wonder where Gaius Equitius went (in real life, that is)?

Vale bene,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

At home!!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:56 am

LOL, mi Draco!! ROTFLASTPD, in fact! (That's ROTFL...And Scaring The Puppy-Dogs. If you're their size, you scoot as soon as you see anything my size thrashing around!)

"At Home" on the Italian roads? --Na, the price of that impression was several days frantically digging through my Boxen, finally locating the right book (or should've been), then being reminded the hard way that the only Province it doesn't have roads, mileages and town-names for is Italia. Agh! --Back to the Boxes again, this time in earnest search for The First Man in Rome; I used McCullough's Italia map for my game-world...

But Wait! --Then there should be a copy in my game-world materials! --Maybe even in my Emergency Pickup-Game notebook!! (I am such a gamer-geek...I actually supply myself on long journeys with rulebooks, dice, and character sheets in case I end up in a rec center in Albuquerque and bump into someone who needs a game or is running one. Don't laugh--I found a game in Albuquerque that time!!)

So I looked in my Emergency Gaming Materials, which were inside a Laptop case and so got brought into my room straight off the truck. And there it was, as part of my New-Player Orientation Packet. I drew it out breathlessly, reviewed it carefully, and that evening I posted.

A Roman-roads expert?? --Not a chance. I'm helpless without my notes! >({(:-)

Just call me Archive...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Auld Lang Syne?

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:10 am

Ave iterum, amice...

> Also, I wonder where Gaius Equitius went (in real life, that is)?

Ya know, I've been wondering the same thing m'self. I liked Gaius Equitius. He was fun to mess with, and fun to get messed-with by (if you can miss a fella for that). He was an awfully good sport about the whole thing. I've missed him.

I hate to say it, but I almost hope he's just biding his time so's he can nail us with something good! If he's still reading but no longer writing, maybe this little note will at least entice him to wave a hankie in our general direction.

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Can I play?

Postby Anonymous on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:50 am

Please to be excused...

I like creative writing and history and have been tring to read through the Roleplay and OCC lists here. Things are quite advanced in the plot but what about the other set of roleplaying threads that seems to have just started (or died)? I woldn't mind writning along with you guys if you want more people but i can't tell where or how I should start...

Also, if anybody cares, I think the "Gaius Equitius" of which you speak is som sort of official of Nova Roma. Durig the week or firtnight I was on their list, I read tons of posts from someone by thatname... I've left that list but thought I'd pass that along
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:41 pm

Salve Numeri Icili,

Well, just as a suggestion, you could fill out the role of one of the henchmen of Equitius, or perhaps another person on his way to Britannia? Not sure what the others think.

I wouldn't continue the died RP thread if I were you, chances are very slim that it will be continued... But of course, you're free to do what you want :).

With regards to Gaius Equitius, well, it's a fairly common name, it *could* be someone different...

Vale,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Our Story So Far...

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:28 pm

Ave, Numeri Icili!

I've read you 'hanging around' for the last few weeks; Welcome to the RP Thread!

Our story has been going on for quite some time in RL, but in fact not all that much "game-time" has passed. Our characters spent a few days in Rome, each having his reasons to help the others, and all bound for Britain to try to (a) find lost kinfolk and (b) sort out a situation before it turns into a full-blown war. Draco's brother has been drafted into the Legions; Curio's has been a champion of the Native faction. The last thing we want is them killing each other...

Our characters only left Rome maybe a little over a week ago, maybe two. A certain Senator (Gaius Equitius) may or may not have his goon squad after us. He had wanted us to delay our journey long enough to do some dirty work for him (discredit an opponent), with refusal not being listed as an option, and we--Brats!!--refused him anyway and snuck out the back door, so to speak. So we are trying not to be anywhere he might look for us, starting with Ostia (we're shooting for Massilia instead)...

As for your other Equitius in the OP, that may have been Senator/Consular/All-That-Rot Lucius Equitius Cincinnatus. He's the fellow that had me strung up over an April Fool's Day prank. That right there ought to tell you everything you need to know about the OP. Needless to say, story-Marius doesn't like story-Equitius very much at all; but I get along quite well with the fellow who plays him! >({|;-)

So feel free to make up a character, give him a reason to be on the road with us, and we will take care of the rest!

(I tried jumping onto the other RP, with an IC post that I've since deleted; I never got a response from the person that started it, not to that post and not to my many OOC queries.)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Call to Arms

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:50 am

Heia, Conlusores!!

Bene, it looks like my Experimental 'Net-surfing Setup is gonna hold...

...so what say we get this game moving again??

-- Mi Curio, are you doing better...?
-- Mi Draco, I've read you lots recently; you must be available... >({|;-)
-- Numeri Icili, you can jump in any time; I'll reply even if nobody else does!

...That goes for anybody else, too. The mansio we are approaching has no end of staff, or of guests. You could be anybody and be here. This is an excellent joining-up spot!

Come one, come all
To the Cornicen's call
And help old Mari
Make the bugler sorry!

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Not too sure what to do

Postby Anonymous on Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:10 am

Salve Marius et al.

I'm not sure how to jump in, I suppose I was more interested in writing and reading something taking place inside the city of Rome. At least that is whrere my ideas are takeing me at the monent.

I'll think about what I could do on the road so-to-speak:)
Anonymous

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:55 pm

Mi Mari, I think this next update is yours. :-)
Rector ColHis, Senator

Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Who's next?

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:53 am

Ave, mi Curio...

Fact is, I was waiting on Draco. His char was discussing on the road whether Marius could legit-ly get into this place or not; I reckoned he'd have some sort of reaction now that we have...! >({|;-)

Of course, I can't tell a man what to write. If our travelling companion has something else in mind, that's fine too. But that's why I haven't 'gone' yet, yes...

Numeri, are you in this inn someplace? Maybe on your way to Rome?

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

HELLLLP--!!

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:57 am

Avete amici...

I am in danger of forgetting how to write these things if this RP goes without a post for too much longer. Draco's missing, Mari's out of his depth, and Curio either is or is not enjoying some really good bread and wine. Mari has asked where Draco disappeared to; will any of Piscinus' characters tell him, or are he and Curio going to have to perform an extraction mission, or will Draco free himself (perhaps with, perhaps without a demo of his mysterious Power)?

So, to echo the title of another thread...Where IS Everybody????

Write soon, >({|;-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:41 pm

Salve Mari,

Apologies for not updating, I considered this part of the story to belong to you and Draco - Curio is doing little at the moment apart from watching and listening.

As for the next month, I'm afraid I will be unable to update...

*Curio mysteriously signs off, pointing not quite so mysteriously to the post in the General section*
Rector ColHis, Senator

Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Mon May 01, 2006 7:03 pm

Salvete,

A third of a year and more? I think it's someone else's turn... :P

Bene valete,
Curio.
Rector ColHis, Senator

Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

My turn...?

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue May 02, 2006 6:12 am

Salve, mi Curio...

I'd love to play, but...who will take my turn at Webmasterin'...? >({|;-)

Na, I've thought of a couple of things; but between my duties, moving to Oklahoma and my computer giving up the ghost (does that make it one of my di familiares?), I've been somewhat short on time.

[hopefully:] Draco...?

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

PreviousNext

Return to Collegium Artium et Litterarum