Planning A Roman Weekend

Announcements about reenactments, conferences, history faires and other Roman organizations and events. Tell us what's happening in *your* Province this week!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Planning A Roman Weekend

Postby Wes on Tue May 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Greetings!!

Well, I have a basic "go ahead" for setting up a Roman event here in Missouri. At the historic site of the Nathan (Daniel) Boone homesite, there is a large bowl shaped water catch basin. When I was there in February builing log cabins, my brother and I found it and I immediately thought Frontier Amphetheatre. The director said I should have no problem getting approval from Lindenwood University, which owns the site.

My partner and I are looking at some gladitorial bouts, and I am wanting to speak with some of the schools in the area and see if there are any latin clubs that would be interested in assisting.

I ask for any tips on static and other types of displays, we are looking at a possible Roman camp as well, I have a large wall tent. Tentatively scheduled for Sept 7, 8, 9th, so if anyone is interested I will post more as we progress.

Any input is welcome!!

Respectfully,
Titus Calidius Agricola
Wes
Socius
Socius

Postby Q Valerius on Wed May 23, 2007 2:13 am

I'm not too far from Missouri in Memphis, though the dates may not work for me... :(
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:08 pm

Salve Wes,

While I won't be able to visit (living in Belgium and all that) I might be able to give you some tips.

I attended a similair event a couple of years ago and I'll give you some examples of the most popular stands at the event.

The board games stand with games such as Paard van Troje, Quo Vadis and others (I'm not sure if they have been released in other countries though) was filled with people the entire day. The same was true for the Roman computer games stand. These are fun and easy ways to get people involved.

Other stands which were frequently visited were the food stands Ovis Ridens and a man selling hot-dogs with a Roman sauce (honey seemed to be the main ingredient).

And finally the most popular stand was the Roman encampment itself with the armory, army exercises and a mock fight which attracted a lot of attention.

So in short, I'd advise you to do things that actively involve the audience.

If you're considering doing gladiatoral bouts, you might want to consult Cleopatra, she's got a lot of experience in that field.

Hope I've helped.

Vale bene,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:02 pm

Tiberius Dionysius Draco wrote:If you're considering doing gladiatoral bouts, you might want to consult Cleopatra, she's got a lot of experience in that field.

Vale bene,

Tiberi, Thanks for thinking of me for gladiatorial fights. Anyhow, if Wes is planing anything like that I would be glad to attend with my group but definitely not this year and also not on such a short notice. But for any future events planed more in advance we could always check possibilities to attend overseas events. But it does require of course a lot of planing way in advance.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Connections

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:42 pm

Salve, mi Aelia!

Amica, not thinking of you for Gladiator fights is like not thinking of me for little dogs and Legion maneuvers--it just isn't done here! >({|:-D

Leviter,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Roman Gatherings