Avete New Sodales! (Intros)

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Avete New Sodales! (Intros)

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:11 am

Salvete omnes!

I'd like to extend a hearty Roman welcome to these Sodales who have joined our ranks in the last month or so:

-- Gnaeus Arminius Maro
-- Daria Aurelia Aenea
-- Aurelia Ovensa
-- Lucius Cassius Cornutus
-- Caius Flavius Gallicus
-- Lucius Horatius Venator Piperbarbus
-- Lucius Iunius Cato
-- Helena Scribonia Germanica
-- Sextus Scribonius Germanicus
-- Tarquinia Valeria Hypatia

Gratias ago (Thank'ee!) to those of you who have posted so far, or even started new topics. I've had some good exchanges already with one or two of you. (There, now, see...? --We don't bite!) >({|;-)

If you haven't joined in yet or are just finding your feet, you're still contributing--after all, every good writer needs readers! And we do hope to get more real-world activity going in the future, so those of you who have been teachers, reenactors, SCAdians, Latin Leaguers, or members of other living-history groups have the chance to nudge the Society in some new directions.

Any new Sodalis may reply here if you'd like to introduce yourself.

Welcome again to all!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Salvete from a new Sodalis

Postby Publius Nonius Severus on Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:29 am

Salvete Omnes!

My name is Publius Nonius Severus and I have just joined the forum. I have also applied to join the Society and hope to hear from the Censores soon!

I have been a Roman history buff for about five years. My interest developed from a desire to "find" myself and has turned into a passion. I wanted to find a niche for my interests and I immediately identified with the Via Romana. I began by reading some general books, to reading Livius and Tactitus, and even self-teaching myself latin (although I am quite rusty now!).

My particular interest is in the late Republic, namely during the times of Marius and Sulla. I find this period so interesting because of the profound role it had played in the eventual demise of the Republic.

I actually discovered the SVR several years ago but nevery had the chance to take more interest due to a demanding work schedule. Now I hope to be quite active in the Collegium Historicum and Linguarum and among all of the activities in the SVR.

We Nonii are a proud and distinguished plebian family (although we do have a tendency to be killed while seeking public office, out of jealousy, or while trying to maintain order within the Eternal City). I hope to have a less tumultuous time in the SVR. Our patron gods are Mars and Ceres. We pay to tribute to Mars as we are proud warriors and Ceres because we have a strong agrarian tradition in our family.

I look forward to pursuing my interest in all things Roman with you soon!

p.s. Please excuse any redundancies of this post between the .org and .net forums. It turns out I joined the forums shortly after migrating to the .net site, hence, my registration and intro post on the .org site forum did not get transfered so I had to register again in the .net forum and I wanted to re-post this message here. Thanks!
Publius Nonius Severus
Publius Nonius Severus
Eques
Eques

Ave Nonius!

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:58 am

Salve, mi Severe...

...I like you!! >({|:-D

I, too, walked the Via Romana alone for many years before finding company on the way. I sort of fell into Rome not too long after Desert Storm got done with me--so of course I ended up finding my Roman self wearing a lorica seg.! I did presentations and RenFaire visits; people found me educational, and hopefully entertaining. I'd never heard of a reenactor Legion; that Roman Internet Micronation didn't exist yet; the SVR was still ten years off. I did my thing for Latin-League conventions and Boy Scout troops, college archaeology clubs and a Little League team. I taught Latin to kids at a homeless shelter...not that my Latin's so great, but I was willing to share. I wrote. I enthused. I joined a half-dozen Roman Listservs...and I still wasn't getting "fed". All of these organizations were questing for knowledge. I was in search of my soul.

Imagine my delight, then, when--after a couple of missed turns and a long walk that dead-ended--I found myself here, by express invitation, among a dozen or so congenial Romans-in-Spirit! (Yes, it's been that long.)

...I'd raze villages for these people. I'd go to town, go to war, go to college for them. I'd...well, I let them make me their Webmaster. That says everything, dunnit? >({|;-)

I think you'll like it here. We're a pretty friendly lot; I haven't had any strokes or been exiled to a North African swamp; you won't get hurt practicing politics here, because there hardly are any. We are Romans. We're here to talk about Rome. I might bristle a little if someone corrects my Latin, but I'll get them about calling me a "Legionnaire" next time, and it's all in fun. And yes, we can be playful...at the same time as being respected scholars, or looked to by same.

Welcome to the Forum, and Welcome to the Societas...and if somebody hasn't answered your app in the next day or two, per Deos Immortales I'll do it myself!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

More Newbies!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:08 am

Salvete, amici Romani!

We have been experiencing quite a surge in membership applications this year! These new Sodales have joined us in November and December (so far):

-- Titus Flavius Iulianus Corvinus
-- Romulus Iulius Alexandri
-- Publius Nonius Severus
(but y'all knew that) >({|;-)
-- Titus Papirius Gallicus
-- Publius Pomponius Tertius
(currently leading a fascinating discussion in the Collegium Religionum, on the old Board)
-- Servius Scribonius Grammaticus
(Mi Curio, you've got company!)

I'd been meaning to make these intros a monthly habit, but...you know. Now that the site is getting sorted out, hopefully I'll remember sooner. And I know I'm not the most graceful speaker in the Forum! But trust me when I say that what my Welcomes lack in elegance, they possess in warmth and sincerity. Avete, omnes, et vobis gratias ago; si valetis, valeo!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Horatius Piscinus scripsit

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:47 am

[Horatius Piscinus, greeting Nonius Severus, on old Forum:]

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:27 am

Salve bene Publi Noni

Welcome to SVR!

I think you'll find a good many more Marians here than Sullatoriones, including our own wolfy Marius. There might be some Caesarians around; a few who might facor Cicero. And then there are a good many who view the Gracchi favorably. It takes all kinds to build the Societas.

Marius has mentioned his interest in moving SVR in new directions towards RL activities. We are a bit scattered for that as of yet, but hopeful. I have an interest in building the website more for informational purposes. We need more work in various collegia, which work is provided by our Sodales. Right now we are in the process of updating the current site and preparing to transfer the site, so not much new information has been uploaded lately. Where as other Sodales have an interest in seeing stimulating discussions on the boards. And all of us are interested in keeping SVR a friendly, informative community.

Those are the three main areas in which all Sodales may contribute to SVR. So we look forward to discussing your interests on our boards, reading any articules you might like to contribute to our website, and possibly seeing you in person some day, but mostly we welcome you to the community of our Societas!

Vale et vade in pace Cerreri

Sapere aude!
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Aldus Marius scripsit

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:50 am

[Aldus Marius, in old Forum:]

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:03 pm Post subject: Forwarding Order

Too late, mi Horati! --Our Severus is already on the new Forum, where I have indeed greeted him most thoroughly! (in case you were wondering where Mari was in all this)

You have summarized us and our current doings well. Now, if I could get you (and everybody else) to do it at http://societasviaromana.net ...c'mon, it's warmer over there, and the Spammers haven't found it yet! >({|;-)

(I don't know how possible it is to merge the two Boards' databases so that we don't lose the recent conversations in either. With permission of the participants, might I copy/paste this thread and Tertius' onto the new Board if nothing else works...?)

Ed. note: Nothing else worked.

In amicitia et fide,

Aldus Marius Peregrinus
Forum Admin, Societas Via Romana...
...and still himself. >({|:-)
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

New Members S'more!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:08 pm

Salvete amici Romani,

We're still here! --And we welcome our first new Sodales of the new year:

-- Appius Valerius Lupus;
-- Lucia Caecelia Marcella; and the honorable
-- Decimus Caecilius Metellus.

May your stay in the Forum be both enjoyable and educational, and may we all benefit from each others' experiences in the wider Roman world!

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby L.AVR.SEVERVS on Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:26 am

Avete Omnes,

I am Lucius Aurelius Severus. I've been involved with Nova Roma since 2003, and am a Provincial Governor there.

I found out about SVR about a month ago and have been browsing around the website and forum since then.

I wouldn't call myself an "ex-pat" of NR, but I can certainly see why Christians prefer SVR. As a devout Christian I feel decidedly out of place in NR. I'm very glad I've found SVR. Christianity seems to be more readily accepted here.

I've always been interested in politics of organizations ... political offices, etc. My enthusiasm may be a little much for people at times ... I always have "great ideas" (or what I perceive to be great ideas), and sometimes the more conservative people in groups take offense to being told that there is a "better" way to run things. I'll try to keep it toned down, at least for a little while. lol.

My girl, Servia Aurelia Christina has joined as well, as has my son, Lucius Aurelius Severus Minor.

I'm very interested in the Ludi ... I'm a great supporter of Factio Russata. Can someone tell me if these races are still run? As well, where would I find the list of current magistrates? I looked on the website, but it sends me to a non-existent page.

Thanks for allowing me to join. :)

Valete,
L·AVR·SEVERVS
SOCIETAS VIA ROMANA

IESV DOMINVS EST
L.AVR.SEVERVS
Socius
Socius

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:51 am

Salve,

Welcome, I hope you(and your family) will enjoy yourself here in the SVR. I too am a NR member
and my term as Tribunus Plebis will expire tomorrow.
I'm sure you will like it here. We are a LOT different than NR(for one thing no backstabbing and no shouting matches).

Vale,
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Censor, Curator
Curialis
Curialis

Postby L.AVR.SEVERVS on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:07 am

Salve Prisce,

I look forward to that! In all my years in NR, I have only once posted on their Main List because of all the bickering. I understand that in large organizations there are going to be disagreements, but some of them get rather vicious there.

I'm running for the office of Custos there, because I'm interested in how their elections are run.

Really, my goal is Praetor as I believe I have a fair, just mind (if I do say so myself) ... but wrapping my head around the hundreds upon hundreds of NR leges is just too daunting a task.

Perhaps in time I'll learn the ropes here and run for Praetor.

Thanks for the welcome. My girl and son thank you too.

Vale bene,
L·AVR·SEVERVS
SOCIETAS VIA ROMANA

IESV DOMINVS EST
L.AVR.SEVERVS
Socius
Socius

Salve!

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:29 am

Salve, Luci Aureli, et Salvete omnes!

(Heads up, mi Dracones: gens Aurelia has now surpassed gens Dionysia in number. [Not like it's a contest or anything...!]) <g>

I am Aldus Marius Peregrinus; Marius the Wanderer: long-time Sodalis, current Webmaster, and perhaps Nova Roma's most notorious Expatriate of all. (I've got my own subcategory on their Wiki and everything.) >({|;-)

I'm afraid we haven't got much politics here. In fact, we've got so few politics that many Sodales weren't aware we had any until last week, when we called our next election! (We only have one once every couple of years; the announcement this time seems to have taken almost everyone by surprise.)

OTOH, what we do have here is a very friendly, informal but informative community of Romans-in-Spirit...and we're big on sharing. I especially invite you to take a look at our Collegium Religionem et Philosophiarum. This Collegium is the best of the SVR exemplified; we've been having good talks about our beliefs and practices, not in any attempt to persuade, but in the spirit of teaching and learning what is important to us and to our fellow Romani. You will find many faiths and outlooks represented here, but absolutely no pushiness. Just Romans...just seeking, and sharing.

We are actively in search of "better ways to run things", as long as these are presented in respect. (We had a fellow from the Academia Thules come bellowing in here in the summer of '06 who, without troubling himself to get to know us at all, started pointing this way and that and telling us how Screwed Up our Collegia were.) A little history might be helpful:

We used to have a Senate and Magistrates; but we couldn't find enough candidates for the offices, so we placed our administration in the hands of four elected Curatores. (I'm still in the process of rewriting the Web site to reflect the change in structure; hence the occasional bit of outdated information....do PM me if you find anything else.) Meanwhile, many of us (myself included), while welcoming the streamlining, feel that we've sacrificed quite a bit of Roman "flavor" in the search for sustainability. I welcome any ideas or proposals that might help us strike the proper balance between institutional Romanitas and minimalist government.

And, finally, my obsessive-compulsive streak comes to the fore: Can you tell me what you clicked on when you were looking for Magistrates and got a whole lot of nothin'? The Album Magistratuum is under "Regulae", with its own link on the Regula main page ("Rules and Laws"). The direct link is here:

http://www.societasviaromana.net/member ... ratuum.htm ;

and, except for my needing to add Q Valerius Priscus as Curator Suffectus, is up-to-date. If another page is pointing to the wrong thing, I'd like to correct it if I can.

Gratias ago for the heads-up, and Welcome to the Societas!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby L.AVR.SEVERVS on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:56 am

Salve Alde Mari,

Well, the link I clicked on was this one:

http://www.societasviaromana.net/member ... hp?lang=en

I got there from Members/Album Magistratuum. The link from Regulae/Regulae Principes does not connect either, so I'm not able to see the rules you have enacted.

Thanks for the welcome and information!

Vale,
L·AVR·SEVERVS
SOCIETAS VIA ROMANA

IESV DOMINVS EST
L.AVR.SEVERVS
Socius
Socius

NavBar's corroded

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:17 am

Salve iterum, mi Aureli!

Umm...were you using the Flash navigation bar on the left-hand side of the page? --'Cause that thing's corroded; it doesn't reflect a single change I've made to the site in two years. We've discussed it a bit in the Comitia-->Aediles thread (last page, I believe); as I don't know how to edit it, I'm considering just junking the darn thing. The Index itself will get you to all the same sections, and navigation from there should be pretty self-explanatory. (Then again, I'm known as the Resident Madman; perhaps it only makes sense to me...?) >({|8-)

In amicitia, fide, et Technicolor,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: NavBar's corroded

Postby L.AVR.SEVERVS on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:27 am

Aldus Marius wrote:Salve iterum, mi Aureli!

Umm...were you using the Flash navigation bar on the left-hand side of the page? --'Cause that thing's corroded; it doesn't reflect a single change I've made to the site in two years.

Yes, I was ... how do I get to the site without the Flash nav bars? Or is there such a thing?

Vale,
L·AVR·SEVERVS
SOCIETAS VIA ROMANA

IESV DOMINVS EST
L.AVR.SEVERVS
Socius
Socius

Re: NavBar's corroded

Postby L.AVR.SEVERVS on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:35 am

L.AVR.SEVERVS wrote:
Aldus Marius wrote:Salve iterum, mi Aureli!

Umm...were you using the Flash navigation bar on the left-hand side of the page? --'Cause that thing's corroded; it doesn't reflect a single change I've made to the site in two years.

Yes, I was ... how do I get to the site without the Flash nav bars? Or is there such a thing?

Vale,

Found it, amice ... nevermind :)

Vale,
L·AVR·SEVERVS
SOCIETAS VIA ROMANA

IESV DOMINVS EST
L.AVR.SEVERVS
Socius
Socius

Ausum'st!

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:52 am

Ausum'st!

(That's Mari-Latin for 'Awesome est'...when in doubt, neologise!) >({|;-)

In amicitia,

-- Mari of the shorter .sig block
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Welcome New Sodales

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:29 am

Salvete omnes!

As Aldus Marius is busy with so much else in upgrades to the Site, I'm going to take over as hospes and begin welcoming new Society Members each month. And so I now extend a Roman Way Society welcome to these, our recently-inducted Sodales:
    Decimus Cassius Cato
    Postuma Flaminia Ursa
    Tiberius Horatius Barbatus
    Appia Iulia Pulchra
    Marcus Iulius Scaevola
    Quinta Livia Anastasia
    Lucius Lucretius Paulus
    Quintus Octavius Vespa
    Gaius Sertorius Baeticus
    Gaius Tullius Niger

If you haven't joined in to post or discuss yet, please don't hang back. These are our Fora, a friendly place, and if you'd like to introduce yourself -- quod bene esset! -- please post in reply right here. (And if Ive repeated a name, or failed to mention you at all, please let me know by a reply post.)

Denuo Sodales, valete, intrate -- hoc forum pro vobis factum est. Welcome again to all!
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

'Nother one!

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:57 am

Salvete, novi amici Romani!

Tonight I have had the pleasure of enrolling Lucia Iulia Aquila in the Album Sodalium. We've been gaining new Sodales thick and fast so far this year; on 26 Ian alone we got three applications, and one the day before, and two others the same week! >({|8-)

That said...if you're a recent applicant, you're reading this and your name is *not* on the Album Sodalium, please PM me with your Roman name and the date you applied and I'll jump right on it. (Hei, I'm up all night dancing on the server anyway, I might as well make a newbie happy while I'm in town!)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Salvete, Sodales Novi

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:04 pm

Salvete, Omnes -

Iam Martii medio mense sumus! Already the middle of March. Time to extend the Roman Way Society welcome to her newest members, to wit:

LUCIA IULIA AQUILA
ANNIA MINUCIA MARCELLA
PUBLIUS LIVIUS SEVERUS
GAIUS AELIUS
APPIA AELIA
LUCIUS LUCRETIUS URSUS
MARCUS VALERIUS POTITUS
LUCIA LIVIA PLAUTA
DECIMA DECIA MELANIA

The Society members and also the Socii of the Forum welcome you here. If you have not joined in posting to the Fora, do not hang back. The more the posts, the more there is to discuss, the livelier our venue. If I have erred or omitted in naming, pls send me a private message to that effect, atque pro illo te amabo.

Denuo Sodales, valete, intrate -- haec fora vobis facta sunt. Welcome again, to all!
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Change of Venue

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Salve, mi Calidi, et Salvete omnes!

I've moved the budding Board-ranks discussion to its own topic in the General section. Name of thread: Board Ranks: The Aftermath!* Hopefully we can do some fine-tuning or at least resolve any Confuzzlement.

*(a tip o' the galea to any White Wolf gamers on the premises!)

[It has since been retitled Board Ranks and Citizenship]

In fide,
Last edited by Aldus Marius on Mon May 12, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Next

Return to Introductions