Salve

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Salve

Postby Gnaeus Arminius Maro on Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:56 pm

Salvete

I'm a twenty-year old history student. I study the early modern age, because Ancient Rome is too much of a hobby to get involved with it professionally. My love of Rome is due to my latin-greek background in high-school. Though I like the Greek world a lot, I consider the culture and language too distant from the Western-European history and culture.

Furthermore, I'm interested in politics (a lot). I'm an atheist, but tend to respect the gods - things are what they are, and if people want to respect them by giving them a general name, that's nice.

Bene valete

Gn Arminius Maro
The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern. Every class is unfit to govern.
Lord Acton
Gnaeus Arminius Maro
Socius
Socius

Postby Q Valerius on Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:55 pm

Salve! This place will suit you perfect. Have you already applied for the membership?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:57 pm

Welcome Maro!

I fell in love with Rome in junior high when I took my first Latin class. Were you involved in any certamina in high school?

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Arminius Maro on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:33 am

Gratias ago for your kind greetings.

No, Tergeste, I was not. And I actually studied six years of Latin during "middelbare school", which is not quite the same as high school.

:wink:
The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern. Every class is unfit to govern.
Lord Acton
Gnaeus Arminius Maro
Socius
Socius

Postby Q Valerius on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:36 am

Well, you should get back into it then!
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Gnaeus Arminius Maro on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:18 am

I know. But I recently began giving tuition in Latin to pupils age 12-14, so it's all coming back to me.

Shocking how much one forgets in three years time, actually.
Lord Acton
Gnaeus Arminius Maro
Socius
Socius

Forgotten Tongues

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:56 am

Salve, Armini, et Salvete omnes!

I never took formal Latin (as many on this Board will bear witness!)...but I don't seem to have missed anything! Hardly anyone seems to remember any Latin they learned in a classroom. Must be the approach; after three years people can parse Cicero to death, but they still can't give directions to the train station.

As with you, my Latin was at its best when I was tutoring it--in my case, to some kids in a homeless shelter. I need to start doing that again. Docendo discimus--it is indeed amazing what one learns while teaching.

In amicitia et fide (ask the Inquisition how many rounds they had to go with me before I got that one right!),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Arminius Maro on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:36 pm

Salve Aldus Marius

I couldn't agree with you more. I've always said it: if you teach people a DEAD language, how can they learn it properly? If pupils were taught Latin and Greek like French, Spanish or any other second language, they maybe would be able to speak and understand it better instead of just "remembering" the first phrase of the Iliad.

(μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ - I'l never forget the suffering and pain I went through to translate that damn piece of meagre epical failure)

Vale et valete omnes.
Lord Acton
Gnaeus Arminius Maro
Socius
Socius

Return to Introductions