So, Who's who?

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Heia!

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:39 am

Ave, Sam...!

And Welcome to our little Roman Entity. I have been here for some time, and I have found it uniformly enjoyable--scholarly yet friendly, like one of those places where all you have to do to get your car fixed is park it, raise the hood, and wait for the neighborhood mechanics to congregate. Post a question or comment here about almost anything Roman or otherwise ancient, and you will generally attract at least two or three replies, possibly some long ones. Even my lame jokes generally elicit a squawk or two!

I like your handle. Not many people your age know that the Battle of Zama, in which Hannibal's army discovered that Payback's a Bitch, was fought in 202BC. Didja know that Scipio's Legions for that one were partly composed of the survivors of Cannae...? I can see a whole lotta post-traumatic stress being worked-off, right there... Talk about having an axe to grind!

Having been raised and gone to college in California, I can attest to the sorry state of Classical education on the Pacific Coast. This surprises me. I would have thought you could find anything there. But not all of the U.S. is in such a sorry state; I have lived a total of twelve years in Texas, which has a very lively Junior Classical League with "Certamines" (Latin tournaments), conventions, bulletins/newsletters, and Web sites...even T-shirts! In Texas high schools, Latin is usually offered, and satisfies the foreign-language requirement. And as I was a Roman reenactor, turning up in Legionary armor anywhere anyone thought they could use me, I got invited to a lot of events.

So hang in there...Romanitas only gets more interesting from here!

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:48 pm

Salvete (means greetings I gather)

Thanks for the messages Horatius Piscunis and Curio Agelestus. Since I don't type (or proofread :( ) I should clarify tht Im 26 not 20! Bad mistake to make if this was a bar! I'm probably a youngin' to some here, I think but I'm willing to learn.

My full name is Harrison - Harry works better but I get the Harry Potter grief from everyone... Maybe Numerius will lead to less jokes? Oh and btw, no scars on the head. I drive a honda, not a Nimbus :wink:

I think it was your booklist I found HoratiusPiscins so thanks for sharing I can probably get those books (or some of 'em) through library loan and such.

CurioAgelestas, My interests are probably varried but I've always wanted to learn more about how people just lived everyday lives in the ancient world. We seem to have so little to go on when compared to history of the Renaissence Era or the Age of Explorers and later on. So it is cool to figure out how people got by so long ago.
Anonymous

Previous

Return to Introductions