Romans and Birds

Facets of everyday Roman life, from food to travel to petkeeping. "How did the Romans...?" answered here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Romans and Birds

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:32 pm

Salvete Omnes!

I was just reading this page: http://www.religioromana.net/ritualmoments.htm and saw this segment:

Birds are regarded as spirits of our ancestors and messengers from the gods. Feeding wild birds in the morning is an extension of the lararium rite. Wild seed can be blessed to the purpose by holding the right hand, palm down, over the seed and saying, Ab illo benedicaris, in quorum honore edeberis. May you be blessed by those in whose honor you shall be eaten. Then the birds are called, Venite aves. Ponete alas in spirito et venite! Come birds. Put wing on the wind and come!

Is there any more information on Romans and their dealings with birds? My self-professed Roman grandfather was really into keeping pigeons until the Depression when the family had to resort to desperate measures :( . He was also into birding and everything. It passed down to my mom, who earned the nicknamed the "bird lady," and then onto me. As a result, I own seven parakeets and have two swallows tattooed on my chest. Even my son loves watching birds whether they are in a pet store, at the zoo or at a lake. It's something that's always been a part of my life.

N.B. I'm not sure if augury fits in this subforum as it may be more applicable to religion so I'm just leaving it open-ended about birds.

Di vos incolumes custodiant!
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Re: Romans and Birds

Postby Formosus Viriustus on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:52 am

Salve Sempronia Pulla,

You most probably know about the geese who saved Rome 'round about CCCL. Just thought I'd let you know anyway. Well, it is a very wide subject, Rome and birds. Starting with Romulus and Remus.

Vale,
Formosus Viriustus

Re: Romans and Birds

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:17 am

Salvete amici!

I've got an article up on the Web site about "Pets in Ancient Rome" that goes into Roman bird-keeping a bit...it was a collaboration between several of us right here in the Forum. >({|:-)

Hope this helps!
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Vitae Quotidianae